Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Updates and AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You get that notification that a new software update is available. Eagerly you press the button in anticipation of what could possibly be coming. Software starts downloading...you wait for the install...you go into your Ap1 car and you see.....

absolutely nothing.

This has been my experience over the last 4-7 updates. I would rather Tesla just stop updating my car, as I see basically no improvement, just a reminder that I should buy a new car.

40.2.3 yesterday. Ditto. Improved diagnostics for the high voltage battery. Minor bug fixes and improvements - the usual, but that was on screen at the conclusion of install. What is annoying is that, as far as I know, the eye Q3 chip in our cars has not had its full potential unlocked. I understand that it may well be capable of red light recognition for instance. I am prepared to be corrected or disillusioned by someone who knows in detail, but that is my current belief.

40.2.3 yesterday. Ditto. Improved diagnostics for the high voltage battery. Minor bug fixes and improvements - the usual, but that was on screen at the conclusion of install. What is annoying is that, as far as I know, the eye Q3 chip in our cars has not had its full potential unlocked. I understand that it may well be capable of red light recognition for instance. I am prepared to be corrected or disillusioned by someone who knows in detail, but that is my current belief.

AP1 using the Mobile Eye solution has been EOL when AP2 came out. Elon mentioned it when many asked for an upgrade from AP1 to AP2. Even the past few days, someone ask him as well, and he indicated that it’s OG technology.

Technically, while AP1 using Mobile Eye can be a lot more than it does today. Elon won’t be making any improvements to it.

tesla wont update my 4+ year old car. woe is me.
My 2017 gets very few new features now, I wouldn't say 2 years is old.
But I have been burnt before too many times, I continue to click no to the update installs. My MCU is stable at the moment so there's no point adding new bugs to the system when there is little in the way of new functions for 'old' cars.

Reactions: aerodyne
dude you missed the point. Car is 3 yrs old...
the point is being notified when there is no real update. Better if Tesla bifocated the source code between Ap1 and Ap2+, that way you wouldn’t be nagged for pointless updates that offer no value.
Just because nothing visible or feature-wise has changed doesn’t mean you’re not receiving any value and they should stop updating the cars so as not to “nag” you. That’s just stupid.

At least 50% of the updates that go to ALL cars have no visible changes, just “bug fixes and updates”.