Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software updates and wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my new model 3 long range awd today. Should have a year of free premium connectivity and my Tesla account reflects that, but the car says I only have standard connectivity. Any idea how to get it to show the premium connectivity?
Also I’m connected to wifi at home using my hotspot but if I try to do a software update it just says please connect to wifi to download despite what I try to do. Any advice?
Thanks!

Got my new model 3 long range awd today. Should have a year of free premium connectivity and my Tesla account reflects that, but the car says I only have standard connectivity. Any idea how to get it to show the premium connectivity?
Also I’m connected to wifi at home using my hotspot but if I try to do a software update it just says please connect to wifi to download despite what I try to do. Any advice?
Thanks!

What does it say in your tesla account online regarding connectivity?

Re: software update, if it says you have one, ensure you are connecting to 2.4ghz on your wifi, not 5ghz. You can also disconnect and re connect to your wifi (like you would do with any other wifi device). and see if that triggers it. Based on what you said, the car says you have an update (please connect to wifi to download), so the car and try again, then disconnect and re connect to your wifi and try again.

When I picked mine up already had LTE configured. As far as updating goes I always felt it is never straight forward.

Still I have been finding some issues with downloading updates:
  • Updates never use the cars LTE
  • Does not support hotspots with a webpage to connect or pre-auth
  • Sometimes after you connect to a wifi hotspot it takes a while to begin downloading
  • Using the phone as a hotspot takes a lot of data which costs money ...
  • During updates download sometimes you get a few breaks and restarts (download restarts not the car)
  • Wifi is disabled on drive and when you park the car and leave the car downloading updates after a few minutes it stops downloading updates (when you leave the hotspot on the car)
Any ideias ?

PS: hope you don't feel I am hijacking this thread … just leveraging it

When I picked mine up already had LTE configured. As far as updating goes I always felt it is never straight forward.

• Sometimes after you connect to a wifi hotspot it takes a while to begin downloading
  • During updates download sometimes you get a few breaks and restarts (download restarts not the car)
  • Wifi is disabled on drive and when you park the car and leave the car downloading updates after a few minutes it stops downloading updates (when you leave the hotspot on the car)
Any ideias ?

I can answer one of these points. Wifi disables when you put it in Drive but you can touch the wifi/LTE on the screen and re-enable it. It will stay enabled until you go to P and D again.

I can answer one of these points. Wifi disables when you put it in Drive but you can touch the wifi/LTE on the screen and re-enable it. It will stay enabled until you go to P and D again.

Well I thought it was disable for a reason. o noticed that I could re-enable it but maybe it impacts other systems ? Otherwise why would it disable on drive ?

Well I thought it was disable for a reason. o noticed that I could re-enable it but maybe it impacts other systems ? Otherwise why would it disable on drive ?
That’s a question many of us have, but likely simply because Tesla assumes that people have Wifi in their garage. It switches to LTE to keep all systems connected and enabled. And also prevents the car from constantly searching for wifi SSID’s while driving that for 99.9% of people won’t be there.

My online account says I have one year free trial. For WiFi I’m using my phone hotspot since my garage is in a different building than my condo - shared garage here.

So, you are sitting in the car, with the car in park, and your phone broadcasting wifi and your car connected? Or, are you leaving your phone in your car (with its phone as

Any ideias ?

Welcome to TMC from Portugal!

That list looks mostly correct to me. Only updates tesla tags as "critical" will download over LTE / Cellular connection. We are in a better place than we used to be, since now the car will tell you to "connect to wifi to download update". That is a change that came in 2019. So, there is no need to keep the car connected to wifi to try to get an update. You should only need to do the "hotspot" thing for updates when there is an update pending.

Of course, that has nothing to do with using your hotspot for other features, like possibly streaming music, etc etc. Just taking about updates here.