Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software updates for longer range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jacep

Oct 25, 2020
utah
I have been working with sales at purchasing a Raven platform performance model S. He was saying all the ravens since 19 on all share the same hardware and that the range is all coming from new software. From what I can see the range went from 325, 348 to now 387.

My question is does tesla push the latest 387 mile software to the older 2020 and 2019 models? If So has anyone had experience with the range increasing thru software updates?

There have been several hardware changes since raven was released. Not all will get the latest updates. Only the most recently produced ones have a newer version Permanent Magnet front motor (likely matching the newer version going in the 3/Y).

I have a 2020 raven long range build is nov 2019 and the battery pack I have does not do the extra range so I am still at 375 fully charged. So there was hardware battery upgraded in early 2020 that gives u extra storage plus it charges faster

Reactions: rickyjb
I have a 2020 Raven LR Oct 2019 build and received a range update to 393 fully charged. I have the E battery pack.
I have a 30 Jan 2020 with "F" battery.....got 2 update earlier this year.....took me from 345 to 373 to 392.....I will never see 402

aslo, I know I am capped at 98%....I have 6100 miles now and my battery capacity calculations show consistent 95.0 to 95.6...when I charge to 90% I get 357 miles......so 357 x 100 / 90 = 396....I cannot complain about this at all...and it been consistent for the past 6 charges both at home and supercharger....Just wish my charging rate and speed were not slowed down..

I have a 30 Jan 2020 with "F" battery.....got 2 update earlier this year.....took me from 345 to 373 to 392.....I will never see 402

aslo, I know I am capped at 98%....I have 6100 miles now and my battery capacity calculations show consistent 95.0 to 95.6...when I charge to 90% I get 357 miles......so 357 x 100 / 90 = 396....I cannot complain about this at all...and it been consistent for the past 6 charges both at home and supercharger....Just wish my charging rate and speed were not slowed down..
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to get the update to 393 a couple months ago, was not expecting it. Is yours a performance version (345 seems to be old performance range)? Current performance cars are at 387. Only LR plus cars can get 402.

Last edited:
My January 2020 build went to 402 range in June.
My January 2020 build went to 411 after June update
8050FF7A-05B8-4D22-9BA0-CA5D3F23FD6E.jpeg

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to get the update to 393 a couple months ago, was not expecting it. Is yours a performance version (345 seems to be old performance range)? Current performance cars are at 387. Only LR plus cars can get 402.
no....mine is a 2020 Model S LR+ mfg date of 30 Jan 2020......

I charged last night to 90% and showed 356......so calculations will still give me 395 capacity.....7 shy of 402.....it appears it has stabilized at the 395-396 range.....so Tesla will say is is within spec.....I guess I really cant complain

I wonder what the cut off on the performance is also. I was told that if it's a MY20 then you won't get the range increase, even though I read somewhere here a member with a 2020 Performance received an update that took him to 387. I deliberately put in an inventory buy for a Sept 2020 build Performance hoping it's close enough to MY21 to get the latest. Will know once I actually take delivery.

I have the Late Feb build MS LR+ It has the F series battery. 402miles range at 100% charge. Mostly I charge to 80%.

Last summer we got an update that improved V3 charging but I never got more than 210KW peak while the Model Y's and the MS LR+ made with G series batteries could peak at 250KW.

Unless I drive for more than 50 miles to condition the battery< rarely get the V3 to peak more than 160KW these days.

I understand the M3 and Y owners are getting 250KW consistently.

I keep my software up to date and now at 2020.44

IMO- if range is your concern, then you should save your money and get the LR+ The Performance added features is something you will rarely use on the highway unless you are drag racing. The MS LR+ is amazingly fast and quick. You would be better served buying the FSD than Performance trim.

Reactions: aerodyne
my app now shows only 384 at 100%.....30 Jan 2020 production and "F" battery....will have service on Friday and I will ask them to look at the range

Do you know what your average watt hr per mile is? If it is close to 250 average, then your 100KW battery should achieve 400 miles range. This is not difficult math or some mysterious range.

As an experiment I pushed the watt hr / mile to 230 average by never driving over 55mph for nearly 96% capacity. Range achieved was 417miles and I did the Supercharging with 16 miles range remaining. Normally I drive a mix of highway and local for 250 average. So, if you usually drive inefficiently you may only be getting 275 even 300 watt hr / mile of energy consumed.

The range estimate is not the EPA number 402 advertised, but based on your average driving habits.

Do you know what your average watt hr per mile is? If it is close to 250 average, then your 100KW battery should achieve 400 miles range. This is not difficult math or some mysterious range.

As an experiment I pushed the watt hr / mile to 230 average by never driving over 55mph for nearly 96% capacity. Range achieved was 417miles and I did the Supercharging with 16 miles range remaining. Normally I drive a mix of highway and local for 250 average. So, if you usually drive inefficiently you may only be getting 275 even 300 watt hr / mile of energy consumed.
I have 6,900 miles on car and avg W/hr is 251.....I drive a little lower on city street than the posted speed limit....Freeway I stay between 60 and 65mph.....I have gone to 10% or less once and charged to 100% and let stand for 3hrs the drove 66 miles.....no change....

I have 6,900 miles on car and avg W/hr is 251.....I drive a little lower on city street than the posted speed limit....Freeway I stay between 60 and 65mph.....I have gone to 10% or less once and charged to 100% and let stand for 3hrs the drove 66 miles.....no change....

Are you figuring the loss due to phantom battery drain? You could only evaluate the range if you did your charge to 100% and then drove most of that out on a trip for the day. Park overnight and you may lose 1 to 3 miles of range per hour just sitting depending on what's left running like sentry, Cabin Overheat etc. 251 is a good number that should get you about 400 miles range on the 100KW batter.

Are you figuring the loss due to phantom battery drain? You could only evaluate the range if you did your charge to 100% and then drove most of that out on a trip for the day. Park overnight and you may lose 1 to 3 miles of range per hour just sitting depending on what's left running like sentry, Cabin Overheat etc. 251 is a good number that should get you about 400 miles range on the 100KW batter.
the 251 is what the car dash is showing.....I have sentry off at home and do not have the cabin overheat on......if I do the calculations using estimated, I get around 410.....with the EPA calculations I get around 391.....

I dont have any issues with phantom drain....I have Teslafi and continually monitor there and do my own caculations

I have run multiple tests on sentry for battery drain and discovered just selecting the boxes for home, work, or favorites to ignore doesn't change the results much. Shutting it off completely is the only effective way. Same with alarm. With as much shut down as I can find in the menus and setting TeslaFi to deep sleep for 24 hours, I can reduce the parked battery drain to under 0.3 miles range loss per hour.

It is not possible to test with EPA method unless you follow their testing process which is complex.

I have only been able to run average wattshrs per mile for 30 minutes as that's the longest time frame the "dash" graph can be set for.

I will be doing a science fare project using this graph in the Tesla with my grandson and we plan on running trials for the 5 minute energy consumption. The graph allows for averages over 5 minutes, 15 minutes and 30 minutes. His project is designed to show how energy consumption changes with how fast you drive. Very simple but he is in the youngest age group.

Reactions: COS Blue