TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Software Updates in Japan.

Discussion in 'Japan' started by arkadiyk, Aug 7, 2018.

1. arkadiyk

arkadiyk Member

Are the firmware updates in Japan usually come later than in U.S.?
    Any functionality is not available? Like Autopilot, Summon, Auto-park?

ps. My brand new Model S 100D coming mid-September. I was hoping it will be already on v.9..

• Like x 1
  2. Olivierpa

Olivierpa Member

About updates
    Some time arrive same timing but often arrive late about 2~3 months
    From SC this due to Japan WiFi regulation and traffic law regulations about self driving
    For what I know fonction miss in Japan are
    Pre hitting battery and seat and wheel from smartphone
    I guess about next update 9. It will arrive in Japan not before end of this year....

3. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Vendor

It seems Japan's MILT (Ministry of Information, Land and Transportation) wants to consider "firmware updates" significant change and they would like to approve every time they issue an update. Which does not make sense, as MILT nor Tesla wouldn't know potential bugs or minor changes that are included in the latest build. It's a software. It is tested so it's safe, but small changes always happen and they won't be clearly documented.

Personally I'm not sure why MILT can do such kind of regulation for "non-type approved cars" like Tesla, as it is not type approved, they have no power over it. Even after firmware changes, there's no changes to the test result of "Shaken" - no length / weight changes, no outer modification, no power changes. Just an incremental change in advanced cruise control.

Right now Tesla is asking MILT to approve firmware by firmware, that's why it takes a long time to deliver the latest version. It seems it's approx 1-2 months late.

• Like x 1