Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

Software updates on 2021 Model 3s?

BHouse

Sep 29, 2020
Victoria, BC
Has anyone with a refreshed Model 3 gotten a software update? I'm new to Tesla so Im unsure how it works, but my car came with 2020.35.202.1 and it hasnt changed. My car doesnt have the PIN to open the glove box or anything else that would have came out recently. Now I see theres a new 2020.44.15 thats recently came out and I dont know what I need to do to get it. My car downloaded a game and a navigation update but that's it.

Upvote 0

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Has anyone with a refreshed Model 3 gotten a software update? I'm new to Tesla so Im unsure how it works, but my car came with 2020.35.202.1 and it hasnt changed. My car doesnt have the PIN to open the glove box or anything else that would have came out recently. Now I see theres a new 2020.44.15 thats recently came out and I dont know what I need to do to get it. My car downloaded a game and a navigation update but that's it.

There isnt anything you can do to make your car download OTA updates faster. This is something that tends to confuse new tesla owners especially, since they think of the OTA updates like iOS or Android updates, that you can trigger as soon as they are available, when you want.

it doesnt work quite like that, unfortunately. Tesla staggers releases of these updates, and there will be times when you wont even get "update X" because your car will skip it. Tesla staggers releasing these updates to various cars with various configurations. In addition, NEW cars can take from "a few days to a few weeks" to get their first software update.

This is a much wordier way of saying what @sduck just said above, which is "it will come eventually, you have to be patient".

Reactions: sduck

cimci

Oct 28, 2020
Vancouver
I had the same question and learnt here that there is not a single pattern for the release of new updates. I am on the same software with you and yet didn't hear anyone with 2021 model having a newer software.

Reactions: BHouse

Mr X

Future Martian
Jan 18, 2013
Simi Valley, CA
I don’t like anyone with a heat pump, performance model 3, or a refreshed model 3.
So I can’t help you, as a 2018 AWD model 3 owner. ...
;)

I don't like anyone with premium sound

186-1862956_middle-finger-laughing-emoji-stickers-by-nsty-middle-finger-emoji-png.png

jkdman123

Jul 15, 2019
San Diego
There’s a rumor that if you park in a Service Center parking lot and connect the car to their Wi-Fi it would trigger a download. Don’t know if it’s been debunked or not.

Sometimes there are problems. Took me about 2 weeks to get an update after buying. Then it stopped getting any. Finally made a SC appt and they said they had to side load the next update manually. It wouldn’t down load OTA. After that it’s worked fine for the most part.

Had an issue where key cards stopped working. Made another appt and tech texted me that after reviewing the logs, there was a Bluetooth firmware mismatch. He pushed an update and voila, key cards worked again.

dmurphy

Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2018
New Jersey - Morris County
There’s a rumor that if you park in a Service Center parking lot and connect the car to their Wi-Fi it would trigger a download. Don’t know if it’s been debunked or not.

No rumor about it. The car automatically connects to Tesla’s WiFi when at a service center. It’ll then download if the car is eligible for an update.

I accidentally triggered an update alert stopping at a Supercharger in Salt Lake City, UT. Spent the rest of our road trip with the yellow update icon showing. I wasn’t pushing an update in the middle of a road trip!

• Informative
Reactions: Pemple and hcdavis3

Kingbubs

Nov 16, 2020
Uk
I have the same, received my m3 refresh on 21st November and have the same firmware as you

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC