TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Software updates paused?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by thegruf, Jul 13, 2016.

1. thegruf

thegruf Member

looking at ev-fw.com it seems Tesla's rate of software releases has been paused on 2.24.102 (with just the one entry for 2.26.103), previously it had been pretty steady new builds on an almost weekly basis.

Have to bet they are assessing how to update the warnings/disclaimers when engaging autopilot as too many owners appear to be incapable of using the system according to instruction.

Let's just hope we get an extra nag screen at the start of a trip if AP is enabled and not endless nags in use or worse still greater limitation on the use of an excellent system

2. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Or it could be a pause due to the rumored 8.0 beta?

• Like x 3
  3. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

I'm still on 2.20.30 .. but no biggie. For a while it was beginning to update like Windows 10. I'd rather just see a big meaningful update with lots of features. In the meanwhile, get off my lawn! :mad:

• Funny x 1
  4. msnow

msnow Active Member

I'm also wondering if there could be a drop in the number of people reporting. Lots of new people here don't know about Tesla Traker. It used to be people like @Andyw2100 , @HankLloydRight and @dirkhh were always reminding people to update the database. I don't see much of that anymore.

• Like x 1
  5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I think that's part of it. Dirk was the biggest cheerleader. There's stil respectable traffic to EV-FW.com to update people's records, and new people signing up almost everyday.

But basically I won't try to read the tea leaves of Tesla's firmware release schedule. It's just a black box that spits out updates. Sometimes frequently, sometimes not.

• Like x 1
  6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Certainly seems possible. They've had regressions around major releases before, so they may be trying to minimize that by freezing the current state. That can lead to delaying the big release, though, as stuff is continually added to it.

7. macbeth

macbeth Member

I just updated yesterday to 2.20.102

8. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

Sorry!

I just haven't been around as much. I mainly tried to remind people whenever I saw a bunch of "me too" type posts in the current firmware thread, since those kinds of posts were the reason the tracker was started. I'd also make a concerted effort when someone posted about a new version in that thread, since I'd want to make sure the new version got into the tracker ASAP. I'll try to be better about reminding people again when I see opportunities to do so. :)

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  9. BozieBeMe2

BozieBeMe2 Member

I am currently on Software 7.1 (v2.20.30), today the 17" screen spontaneously rebooted while I was driving. Is there any reason to question this behavior?

10. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I've never seen that ev-fw.com website before now - good grief - there are 15 newer firmwares out there than what I have. I'm still on 2.20.30. That's so weird.

11. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

So... not for nothing, but the parking at an SvC for 20 minutes or so (no wifi required) seems to produce an update.

Did this Sunday for 2.26.102

Of course, with no release notes, I have no idea of what it purports to do - with the exception of the very cool SC nag feature now.

12. EMdoc12

EMdoc12 Member

I wish there was a way to spoof the GPS into thinking the car was sitting right next to my service center. I'd like to always have the latest FW however my SvC is 3 hrs away. Boo!!!!

13. disillusioned

disillusioned Member

This is almost certainly because they're focused on the beta for 8.0 as they move forward with prepping that for wide release.

14. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I have it on almost certain authority that the reason for the pause is Tesla has challenged it's engineers to come up with creative ways to not so gently remind the driver to use AP properly.

They realized they had a lot of tools in their arsenals as the computer controls just about everything in the car, and they simply failed to think outside the box when it came to this problem.

With the next update you'll quickly realize that your failure to comply with proper usage of AP isn't going to be tolerated anymore. They'll still let you enable it, but if you're not paying attention you will pay the price. Tesla just isn't going to take it anymore.

The days of gentle reminders are over.

If it's raining during your noncompliance then expect the panoroof to open
    If you think you can listen to music during your noncompliance then think again. It won't be music you'll be listening to.
    You think you can play paddy cake? What happens when the car starts playing it with you?

You think you have control over when it will accept phone calls? Think again. For repeat offenders the car will automatically accept calls from Liam Neeson and he's isn't going to be happy with you.

There won't be any more of this crap.

Autopilot isn't your slave. You're autopilots slave.

• Funny x 12
    • Like x 2
  15. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I run EV-FW.com and I'm also still on 2.20.30, so really not so weird . ;)

• Like x 2
  16. thegruf

thegruf Member

yeah - what you see is most builds get a minor circulation to only a few owners (random or otherwise is unknown), then periodically there is a much wider rollout of a build. Whilst the numbering undoubtedly has meaning internally, there doesn't seem to be a pattern of numbering of a wide rollout release.

2.20.30 seems to be the last major rollout, so many of us will be on this release, myself incldued, though it has not bee nthe best build for me, with a few software crashes and less desirable characteristics of AP.

• Like x 2
  17. Xenius

Xenius Member

Didn't know about this site and haven't yet taken delivery. But I signed up and will add it to the bookmarks in my new car when she arrives.

18. bob_p

bob_p Member

It's likely Tesla has shifted most of their resources onto the next major release (8.0). This has been the pattern before major releases are distributed in the past - we usually get a relatively quiet period with few (if any) firmware releases - followed by the beginning of distribution of the next major release.

Hopefully Tesla has made improvements in their software development process so that when they distribute the 8.0 release - it can go out to everyone at about the same time, and avoid the major bugs that have slowed down distribution of the previous major releases.

19. msnow

msnow Active Member

As I recall the 10/15/15 7.0 release was pushed out in about 24 hours to the U.S.

20. thegruf

thegruf Member

I know nothing of course, but I suspect v8 is not ready yet.
    Based on info only just starting to seep out from beta testing, I would guess Tesla aiming more for a September public rollout.

This does raise the possibility that Tesla might feel compelled to release v8 earlier than planned, therefore perhaps somewhat less polished.

I hope Tesla don't do this. I would rather a band aid was slapped on the current v7 to cater for those who are incapable of following and recalling reasonable instruction, and continue to work on v8 so it is released in good shape.

• Like x 2