Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software updates paused?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looking at ev-fw.com it seems Tesla's rate of software releases has been paused on 2.24.102 (with just the one entry for 2.26.103), previously it had been pretty steady new builds on an almost weekly basis.

Have to bet they are assessing how to update the warnings/disclaimers when engaging autopilot as too many owners appear to be incapable of using the system according to instruction.

Let's just hope we get an extra nag screen at the start of a trip if AP is enabled and not endless nags in use or worse still greater limitation on the use of an excellent system

I'm also wondering if there could be a drop in the number of people reporting. Lots of new people here don't know about Tesla Traker. It used to be people like @Andyw2100 , @HankLloydRight and @dirkhh were always reminding people to update the database. I don't see much of that anymore.

I think that's part of it. Dirk was the biggest cheerleader. There's stil respectable traffic to EV-FW.com to update people's records, and new people signing up almost everyday.

But basically I won't try to read the tea leaves of Tesla's firmware release schedule. It's just a black box that spits out updates. Sometimes frequently, sometimes not.

Reactions: msnow
I'm also wondering if there could be a drop in the number of people reporting. Lots of new people here don't know about Tesla Traker. It used to be people like @Andyw2100 , @HankLloydRight and @dirkhh were always reminding people to update the database. I don't see much of that anymore.

Sorry!

I just haven't been around as much. I mainly tried to remind people whenever I saw a bunch of "me too" type posts in the current firmware thread, since those kinds of posts were the reason the tracker was started. I'd also make a concerted effort when someone posted about a new version in that thread, since I'd want to make sure the new version got into the tracker ASAP. I'll try to be better about reminding people again when I see opportunities to do so. :)

So... not for nothing, but the parking at an SvC for 20 minutes or so (no wifi required) seems to produce an update.

Did this Sunday for 2.26.102

Of course, with no release notes, I have no idea of what it purports to do - with the exception of the very cool SC nag feature now.

So... not for nothing, but the parking at an SvC for 20 minutes or so (no wifi required) seems to produce an update.

Did this Sunday for 2.26.102

Of course, with no release notes, I have no idea of what it purports to do - with the exception of the very cool SC nag feature now.

I wish there was a way to spoof the GPS into thinking the car was sitting right next to my service center. I'd like to always have the latest FW however my SvC is 3 hrs away. Boo!!!!

I have it on almost certain authority that the reason for the pause is Tesla has challenged it's engineers to come up with creative ways to not so gently remind the driver to use AP properly.

They realized they had a lot of tools in their arsenals as the computer controls just about everything in the car, and they simply failed to think outside the box when it came to this problem.

With the next update you'll quickly realize that your failure to comply with proper usage of AP isn't going to be tolerated anymore. They'll still let you enable it, but if you're not paying attention you will pay the price. Tesla just isn't going to take it anymore.

The days of gentle reminders are over.

If it's raining during your noncompliance then expect the panoroof to open
If you think you can listen to music during your noncompliance then think again. It won't be music you'll be listening to.
You think you can play paddy cake? What happens when the car starts playing it with you?

You think you have control over when it will accept phone calls? Think again. For repeat offenders the car will automatically accept calls from Liam Neeson and he's isn't going to be happy with you.

There won't be any more of this crap.

Autopilot isn't your slave. You're autopilots slave.

I've never seen that ev-fw.com website before now - good grief - there are 15 newer firmwares out there than what I have. I'm still on 2.20.30. That's so weird.

yeah - what you see is most builds get a minor circulation to only a few owners (random or otherwise is unknown), then periodically there is a much wider rollout of a build. Whilst the numbering undoubtedly has meaning internally, there doesn't seem to be a pattern of numbering of a wide rollout release.

2.20.30 seems to be the last major rollout, so many of us will be on this release, myself incldued, though it has not bee nthe best build for me, with a few software crashes and less desirable characteristics of AP.

It's likely Tesla has shifted most of their resources onto the next major release (8.0). This has been the pattern before major releases are distributed in the past - we usually get a relatively quiet period with few (if any) firmware releases - followed by the beginning of distribution of the next major release.

Hopefully Tesla has made improvements in their software development process so that when they distribute the 8.0 release - it can go out to everyone at about the same time, and avoid the major bugs that have slowed down distribution of the previous major releases.

It's likely Tesla has shifted most of their resources onto the next major release (8.0). This has been the pattern before major releases are distributed in the past - we usually get a relatively quiet period with few (if any) firmware releases - followed by the beginning of distribution of the next major release.

Hopefully Tesla has made improvements in their software development process so that when they distribute the 8.0 release - it can go out to everyone at about the same time, and avoid the major bugs that have slowed down distribution of the previous major releases.
As I recall the 10/15/15 7.0 release was pushed out in about 24 hours to the U.S.

I know nothing of course, but I suspect v8 is not ready yet.
Based on info only just starting to seep out from beta testing, I would guess Tesla aiming more for a September public rollout.

This does raise the possibility that Tesla might feel compelled to release v8 earlier than planned, therefore perhaps somewhat less polished.

I hope Tesla don't do this. I would rather a band aid was slapped on the current v7 to cater for those who are incapable of following and recalling reasonable instruction, and continue to work on v8 so it is released in good shape.

Reactions: mrElbe and msnow