TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Software Updates section removed from MyTesla's documents

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MarcG, Jan 25, 2016.

1. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

There used to be a section labeled "Software Updates" or something similar under the Documents section of MyTesla, in which lived PDF documents of the release notes for each major firmware release.

It hadn't been updated in a while, as the latest documents in there were for version 6.2, but the question now is: where do I find PDF documents with the release notes for the latest releases?

Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 11.41.23 AM.png

2. PaulR

PaulR Member

Check to see if what you are looking for isn't already included in the 1/14/2016 updated "Model S Owner's Manual (North America)....

3. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

I know about the manual, but I'm looking for the short PDF documents that only highlight the new features of a major release.

4. PaulR

PaulR Member

I see what you are saying.... but it seems that TM has not always published pdf's of changes on a consistent basis, but merely posts the summary on the 17 inch screen. See the reference to the WIKI regarding firmware documentation:

DOCUMENTATION

Tesla provides release notes for each version (e.g., 6.1), but generally NOT for each software release within a version (e.g., 2.2.200). So, do not expect release notes to change when you get a new software release. You may see documentation changes, but probably not. Tesla's philosophy regarding release notes is generally to document changes to the user interface only. So, changes to algorithms (e.g., power delivery, charging, regen), and bug fixes are typically NOT documented. TMC is a good source for discovering such changes, though plenty of the reports on this forum are spurious or pure conjecture.

Tesla also provides an online user manual. This changes for each version. Often it reflects changes in software releases within a version.

5. brec

brec Member

IIRC the section was called "Release Notes".

AFAIK PDFs are not available.

6. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

7. BertL

BertL Active Member

Right on release notes. I was provided the set for 6.2 when the manuals were initially populated on MyTesla for my then on-order MS back in September, but I have had zero updates on release notes through 3 drops I've installed since... Updated Owners manuals seem to eventually make it there, but I have not figured out the timing as to when expect it.

As ridiculous as it is, the only way I've figured out to keep my own record of what's different is taking photos of each release notes screen on the 17". It's nifty it gets updated in the car, but I honestly hate sitting there reading anything of any length -- it's so much better to digest things from my office desk or comfortable family room recliner -- even as nutty as it is, reading a bunch of iPhone photos. :(

8. brec

brec Member

The My Tesla | Tesla Motors page has been revamped, including a redesigned My Documents section; and the Software Updates tab thereof now has a Release Notes 7.1 PDF document.

9. Haggy

Haggy Member

Essentially, Tesla was publishing release notes for each version, but for some reason 7.0 never made it to My Tesla. It used to be that they kept all the historical ones on line too. Unfortunately I never kept copies, but they did provide valuable information. It's strange that they dropped all the old ones in the past, but kept 6.0 this time.

Also, when they made the update mentioned at the beginning of this thread, they also added one more guide to the available downloads, and that one has since disappeared with the redesign. I didn't save it and the link to it no longer works, but it was one for new owners.