Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Updates...What do we get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you receive a software download it will contain both the items listed, like games and additional functionality. In addition, the many algorithims that run our cars are constantly being tweaked to represent the latest data Tesla is receiving. One time they "uncorked" the performance available from the 75Kwh batteries to decrease 0-60 times by over one second. Other times they will increase/decrease regeneration braking.
If they notice a parameter that is causing excessive battery degradation, they will tweak the charging and discharging limiters to protect the batteries. If they notice too many Ludicrious launches they may reduce the torque or display a warning message to alert the driver that there is increased chance of wear or damage. Think they are pretty smart about doing this, but understand that some would be distraught.

In my 2017 I received many OTA improvements
Auto dimming headlights,
Automatic speed control windshield wipers.
Uncorked better performance.
Greater range in raising and lowering my air suspension,
Navigation on Autopilot
Red display lines to indicate traffic congestion.
Rerouting of Navigation in case of traffic congestion.
Switching to faster lanes with turn signal activation.
Better audio fidelity.
Emergency braking in case of something in the road.
Pre-conditioning of the batteries for faster charging when Supercharger destination is selected.

There were more than that, but this is just off the top of my head

This was just within the 32 Months I owned the car.

• Love
Reactions: DukeofURL
How come my 2015 s85d didn't see a range downgrade when that update was applied? Full charge has been about 271 miles forever, It got to 269 the other day when I was full charging.
Not all 85s were capped after the update. Tesla hasn't said what triggers the cap and as a community we haven't been able to narrow it down to one or two factors but it seems that most of the capped cars used DC charging (Supercharging or chademo) much more than AC charging. But again, some people that mostly AC charge reported the cap as well so who knows.

My 2013 85 has not been capped but I stopped accepting updates after 2019.16.2 because the Supercharging speed reduction came in some update after that.
Yes, on top of this capping they reduced the Supercharging rate too. Not sure if it's only on capped cars but I'm not taking that chance, no more updates for me.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
When you receive a software download it will contain both the items listed, like games and additional functionality. In addition, the many algorithims that run our cars are constantly being tweaked to represent the latest data Tesla is receiving. One time they "uncorked" the performance available from the 75Kwh batteries to decrease 0-60 times by over one second. Other times they will increase/decrease regeneration braking.
If they notice a parameter that is causing excessive battery degradation, they will tweak the charging and discharging limiters to protect the batteries. If they notice too many Ludicrious launches they may reduce the torque or display a warning message to alert the driver that there is increased chance of wear or damage. Think they are pretty smart about doing this, but understand that some would be distraught.

In my 2017 I received many OTA improvements
Auto dimming headlights,
Automatic speed control windshield wipers.
Uncorked better performance.
Greater range in raising and lowering my air suspension,
Navigation on Autopilot
Red display lines to indicate traffic congestion.
Rerouting of Navigation in case of traffic congestion.
Switching to faster lanes with turn signal activation.
Better audio fidelity.
Emergency braking in case of something in the road.
Pre-conditioning of the batteries for faster charging when Supercharger destination is selected.

There were more than that, but this is just off the top of my head

This was just within the 32 Months I owned the car.

How did you know these were done, by stumbling upon them, did your screen alert you to the feature, or were told by someone here?

I've been loosely watching that thread but the post frequency is way more than I can keep up with. It's not he first time we've seen Tesla pull power after purchase. We saw similar behavior with P90DL cars back in 2017. It took a few months but Tesla eventually reversed course and opted to cover affected batteries under warranty instead of hiding behind software changes. It's a damn shame to see what Tesla Service has become.

Suffice to say, this is why ICE fuel gauges are not accurate. All this would be really easy to mask if the car had never reported a different range than rated or took into account a rolling average consumption against the original rated capacity. Only becoming accurate under 30%. This is, more or less, what your ICE fuel gauge does. I think it was GM that learned this the hard way back in the 80's, which is why many gauges are glorified idiot lights in modern cars.
It's not a gas gauge thing - Tesla substantially reduced the voltage that the car is allowed to be charged to. Volts determine kWh and horsepower so the downgrade OTAs intentionally cause real kWh capacity loss and real performance loss. In the "gas gauge" example you use, this would be like Ford breaking into your garage and replacing the gas tank and engine with smaller/weaker parts. It doesn't matter what the gauge says (I have always used % and didn't notice the range, but I noticed the slower performance right away) the usable range of downgraded batteries was lowered to less than 200 miles. It looks like Tesla fraudulently manipulated the EPA calculation used by the miles gauge itself to try and hide downgrading from people too, so the "gauge" wouldn't look as different, but the % bar still drops faster than it should because that can't be manipulated.

It's not a gas gauge thing - Tesla substantially reduced the voltage that the car is allowed to be charged to. Volts determine kWh and horsepower so the downgrade OTAs intentionally cause real kWh capacity loss and real performance loss. In the "gas gauge" example you use, this would be like Ford breaking into your garage and replacing the gas tank and engine with smaller/weaker parts. It doesn't matter what the gauge says (I have always used % and didn't notice the range, but I noticed the slower performance right away) the usable range of downgraded batteries was lowered to less than 200 miles. It looks like Tesla fraudulently manipulated the EPA calculation used by the miles gauge itself to try and hide downgrading from people too, so the "gauge" wouldn't look as different, but the % bar still drops faster than it should because that can't be manipulated.

I think are hyperventilating over this issue. Take a breath and wait for things to play out.

Reactions: Seattle
If you're hyperventilating over the facts I don't think a repeat of the last 6 months of Tesla doing nothing will help you, but the class action suit should force them to return what has been stolen (assuming they can afford to warranty repair so many damaged batteries at once)

• Disagree
Reactions: Seattle
If you're hyperventilating over the facts I don't think a repeat of the last 6 months of Tesla doing nothing will help you, but the class action suit should force them to return what has been stolen (assuming they can afford to warranty repair so many damaged batteries at once)

Things like the class action suit are what I am referring to. Constantly bringing up this issue in other threads isn't helping anything.

This is a thread about what we get from OTA - we get downgraded. The worst disservice we can do when someone asks us a question is to lie to them or suggest to those that answer truthfully that honesty isn't helpful.

Reactions: am_dmd
This is what you get with Tesla's software updates: Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

I think are hyperventilating over this issue. Take a breath and wait for things to play out.
You would be singing a different tune if you lost 20% of your vehicle's range overnight as a result of a software update. There is strong evidence that all of Tesla's vehicles will be downgraded/capped at some point. That includes you. It's a matter of when, not if. You should be concerned as should we all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaserr
This is what you get with Tesla's software updates: Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

You would be singing a different tune if you lost 20% of your vehicle's range overnight as a result of a software update.

You are right and I specifically mentioned that, in this thread. I've tried agreeing with you but you and @Chaserr seem to want to fight anyone and everyone that don't have the same level of aggression and anger as you. it's tiring and I do not wish to do it.

No fighting was ever intended.

want to fight anyone and everyone that don't have the same level of aggression and anger as you. it's tiring and I do not wish to do it.

This is your repeated attempts to escalate a corporate problem with Tesla's OTA downgrade policies into an interpersonal conflict with individuals. You are creating the hostility you bring up and projecting it onto multiple other people. You're complaining about the things you're doing. I will not respond again, de-escalation starts at home.