Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Updates...What do we get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the next update this past weekend, and I can't help wonder what "improvements" come down the pipe. This time I saw something about the key Fob security, the rest seemed not very important (new language!). Are these updates making my car run better,perform better, make the miniscule on-screen scroll button on screen tactfully useful, or are we getting stuff around the edges to make us believe someone cares? (ever try dragging that scroll button while driving?)

I got the next update this past weekend, and I can't help wonder what "improvements" come down the pipe. This time I saw something about the key Fob security, the rest seemed not very important (new language!). Are these updates making my car run better,perform better, make the miniscule on-screen scroll button on screen tactfully useful, or are we getting stuff around the edges to make us believe someone cares? (ever try dragging that scroll button while driving?)

Are you new at this? Sometimes the updates are seemingly trivial, sometimes they are useful new features, and sometimes they are bug fixes, or a mix. And often there are subtleties not necessarily described in the release notes. Not every software release is the automotive equivalent of a Christmas present, but you never know when some improvement, small or large, will please you!

Are you new at this? Sometimes the updates are seemingly trivial, sometimes they are useful new features, and sometimes they are bug fixes, or a mix. And often there are subtleties not necessarily described in the release notes. Not every software release is the automotive equivalent of a Christmas present, but you never know when some improvement, small or large, will please you!

No, I'm not new at this, just noticing that "updates" seem trivial. Maybe informing us which *important* bugs were fixed might be useful, and spare us the better working game console. Most of us don't care about Chinese characters, either.

• Love
Reactions: GreenT and David29
I know two really annoying bugs they cannot seem to fix (I've given up hope in them fixing it in V9).
1 - BT calls are answered with the sound muted, have to scroll the volume wheel to wake it up.
2 - Volume control on the steering wheel has a good second or two delay in response if you start moving it too far.
Shouldn't be too hard to fix that you'd think considering these are introduced bugs verses ones that existed from day one.

2019.16 and later started the downgrades. It's mostly 85s and some 75s affected right now but if the rumors are true about all batteries being impacted eventually you'll be downgraded in a few years. That's only rumor though, officially Tesla is downgrading us for no reason whatsoever.

We paid for the warranty as part of the sale price on our new cars. If they want to remove $30,000 worth of options we upgraded over the base model they need to return the money they took as well. "We're donwgrading your raven P100D to a Model S non-P 60 because we can't afford the warranty, sorry!" isn't a legally acceptable option but it's what they've done to us. Ludicrous owners lost the most at $35,000 stolen.

Summarizing that thread and the resulting lawsuits, tesla has downgraded cars by setting charge limits so the new displayed "100%" is actually the car's real 80% and you can no longer fully charge. Both power and range are reduced automatically when the entire pack's maximum voltage is capped artificially lower than it should be. It's the same code and method used to cap factory 40kwh cars that had 60 batteries, or factory 60s that had 75 batteries - just capped in reverse so people lost money and functionality.

It's not my claim, it's been proven and tesla already admitted they did it intentionally. I'm just the person from whom you're learning about the problem.

Summarizing that thread and the resulting lawsuits, tesla has downgraded cars by setting charge limits so the new displayed "100%" is actually the car's real 80% and you can no longer fully charge. Both power and range are reduced automatically when the entire pack's maximum voltage is capped artificially lower than it should be. It's the same code and method used to cap factory 40kwh cars that had 60 batteries, or factory 60s that had 75 batteries - just capped in reverse so people lost money and functionality.

It's not my claim, it's been proven and tesla already admitted they did it intentionally. I'm just the person from whom you're learning about the problem.
THIS IS A REAL ISSUE- it really stinks!

Summarizing that thread and the resulting lawsuits, tesla has downgraded cars by setting charge limits so the new displayed "100%" is actually the car's real 80% and you can no longer fully charge. Both power and range are reduced automatically when the entire pack's maximum voltage is capped artificially lower than it should be.

I say it's your claim as you are currently asserting it on this thread. I don't disagree with you; I wanted to gain some context around Ludicrous owners losing power. If my 100kWh battery were capped at 80%, I would still have access to my full 575kW. My old P90D would have lost roughly 50kW of power. In either case, I would be seeking a warranty battery replacement.

Reactions: GreenT
So far, no 100kWh packs are affected. It's unknown whether Tesla will downgrade them eventually - and unlikely that they will be allowed to as so far the issue seems to be age related and the class action should force them to return the stolen property before your car is old enough to be considered at risk. If they are allowed to get away with these thefts, all Teslas will be downgraded universally because the limits reduce costs for them in many different ways at once.

P85DL owners lost the most horsepower because 85s they are substantially affected by volt limits and they paid the most to use that full volt capacity.

Your 100 would likely be power limited unless you changed your charge % to 100% every day (as owners are being forced to do) but that would be fine as long as you're OK with the pop up nag screen telling you not to, since it isn't a real 100%.

Currently, tesla's excuse to steal from us is "for longevity" so they've claiming to be dodging warranty replacement specifically so that they don't have to perform a warranty replacement. It's a catch 22 that hinges on theft being judged legal.

Last edited:
Reactions: St Charles
I've been loosely watching that thread but the post frequency is way more than I can keep up with. It's not he first time we've seen Tesla pull power after purchase. We saw similar behavior with P90DL cars back in 2017. It took a few months but Tesla eventually reversed course and opted to cover affected batteries under warranty instead of hiding behind software changes. It's a damn shame to see what Tesla Service has become.

Suffice to say, this is why ICE fuel gauges are not accurate. All this would be really easy to mask if the car had never reported a different range than rated or took into account a rolling average consumption against the original rated capacity. Only becoming accurate under 30%. This is, more or less, what your ICE fuel gauge does. I think it was GM that learned this the hard way back in the 80's, which is why many gauges are glorified idiot lights in modern cars.

Reactions: GreenT