Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Updates without wi-fi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has been glitching big time lately. First when I make calls, I can hear the people but they can't hear me. Then one day my heat seatersand heat stayed on all day while I was at work which I think normally shuts off and then I was driving using the auto pilot and although the voice was saying veer right, the car was veering left and I had to grab the wheel and take over not to miss our exit lane. Soon after this the hazard lights went on and won't tun off. I called Tesla support and they said the car has a new software update that has been trying to download for four days and that that would fix all the issues the car was having. I cannot connect my car to my home wi-fi as the range doesn't reach and it won't let me connect to my phone or my son's phone which I use as a hotspot...it tells me the password is wrong but it is not wrong. Will the software update be able to download without a wi-fi connection? Any other ideas on how to download this software update to fix these glitches?

On wifi, I've found that especially with iPhones, since they're usually named "Bob's iPhone" the apostrophe can throw off some wifi chipsets. Try changing the phone's name to one word with no symbols, and make sure the password is under 16 characters.

Reactions: brkaus
Ok, I will try that. ONce I change the password and if it connects, how do I initiate the software update?

That's the problem, you can't initiate the update, even though this is probably one of the most requested Tesla features missing for quite a long time now. Unless leaving your phone in the garage for a day or two so that the Tesla can connect is an option for you then you will have to find another way.

The Model 3 might pull the software update in the middle of the night, and the updates including map data can be enormous (many GB) so you really want to look into another way to do this.

Is there anything stopping you from putting a WiFi range extender into your garage and trying to get the Tesla connected that way?

If it is queued, it will typically initiate the download on its own within a short time if being idle and on a wifi.

The queing is the first magic part. Sounds like they are saying it is queued.

Downloading is next magic.

Give it a try. Let it sit for an hour or so connected and idle.

I’m convinced that if your car is in the queue to download the update that doing a 2 button reboot will force it to check for an update during its reboot process. Of course I have no evidence to back this up, it’s just a hunch. Again this would only work if your car is in the queue for the download on Tesla’s end of things; if your VIN isn’t in their list that have access to version X then this will do nothing. But it sounds like your car is ready to download the update so just get it connected to some WiFi connection somewhere and it should kick off. I’d also recommend looking into getting a WiFi range extender if possible so that your 3 will get the latest updates quicker.

I called Tesla support and they said the car has a new software update that has been trying to download for four days and that that would fix all the issues the car was having.
Just an FYI, but they will often say this. And most of the time it's just not true.

What they really mean is they HOPE it'll fix all of the issues, and they don't really want to bother troubleshooting the problem unless you're on a more recent release.

• Funny
Reactions: DurandalAI
I have a similar problem with my Model 3 update message that popped up but has since disappeared. Ican't find a way to wifi consistently. Live on upper floors of highrise (can't do a range extender) and car is parked in garage next building over. Only wifi available consistently is one that pops up a website on tablets/phones to check a box and click on a button to accept terms. Any other possible solutions other than go to a service center and hope upon hope that a prompt pops up?