Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On that note, does anyone know if you can skip versions? To clarify, let's say I'm on version x, and I get an update that version y is ready for download (but people are saying it's no good), but then z comes out... do I need to download y and then z, or will I be able to skip the interim version (y)?

On that note, does anyone know if you can skip versions? To clarify, let's say I'm on version x, and I get an update that version y is ready for download (but people are saying it's no good), but then z comes out... do I need to download y and then z, or will I be able to skip the interim version (y)?
That depends entirely on how they constructed the software. Sometimes a small incremental update may not be rolled into subsequent incremental updates, which would mean you’d have to install those updates in order and couldn’t skip. Then later they might all be rolled into a major update.

That depends entirely on how they constructed the software. Sometimes a small incremental update may not be rolled into subsequent incremental updates, which would mean you’d have to install those updates in order and couldn’t skip. Then later they might all be rolled into a major update.
What would your guess be if I replaced x/y/z with 2020.8.3; 2020.12.1; 2020.[whatever comes next]?

The closest I have to an answer is anecdotal. Quite a while back we had a problem where the car wasn't connecting to wifi. In that time we got to be two software releases down-rev. When I fixed the problem, I almost immediately got an update. I installed it and within hours got the later one too. Seemed if it could have skipped the in-between one it certainly had the opportunity.

Only 1 version will ever be offered to at any time.

If you don't like the one offered- just wait. You'll get a newer version offered eventually.

It's one of the reasons I recommend folks stick to normal instead of advanced updates.

You usually skip the .0 versions that are still buggy and don't get an update offered till it's the .1 or .2 version that's more patched.

Only 1 version will ever be offered to at any time.

If you don't like the one offered- just wait. You'll get a newer version offered eventually.

It's one of the reasons I recommend folks stick to normal instead of advanced updates.

You usually skip the .0 versions that are still buggy and don't get an update offered till it's the .1 or .2 version that's more patched.
I guess that would have been a better first question for me to ask: if I don't download the one it's telling me to, will it eventually change to a newer version. Thanks.

Last edited:
I guess that would have been a better first question for me to ask: if I don't download the one it's telling me to, will it eventually change to a newer version. Thanks.
It may or may not skip if you don’t download a version that’s ready now. As I said, it depends on how the developers constructed the update. If you absolutely need one update in order to get a later one, the system won’t allow you to skip. So you’ll just have to wait and see.