Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Anyone else seem to be behind with software updates recently?

I was getting updates thick and fast up until the rollout of V10, then it’s been next to nothing since then. I’m on 2021.4.12 at present but led to believe there’s been a few updates since then?

Happens all the time.

One of my cars wasn’t getting the updates until the install base hit at least 20%.

My other car constantly has been getting updates at 3% for over a year since new. But now it’s about 8 versions behind

Hi all

I was getting updates thick and fast up until the rollout of V10, then it’s been next to nothing since then. I’m on 2021.4.12 at present but led to believe there’s been a few updates since then?

The stat seems to suggest that you have what the most people have:
https://teslascope.com/teslapedia/software
1618207538382.png

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Thanks guys

Whilst we’re on the subject of updates, am I right in saying that the car can detect an update over LTE but to install it has to be WiFi? Doesn’t need to be linked to WiFi just to get an update available notification does it?

Thanks guys

Whilst we’re on the subject of updates, am I right in saying that the car can detect an update over LTE but to install it has to be WiFi? Doesn’t need to be linked to WiFi just to get an update available notification does it?

Think so. Pretty sure mine had a message showing saying new update available connect car to wifi to download. Similar message comes up on the app.

I don’t know about notification of install. Pretty sure, not 100%, to get install notice but I’ve never received ever unless the car was at home on WiFi.

That said I have gotten it install via WiFi over hotspot on the phone and done a (minor) update while driving around the city of cell hotspot. NOTE: Have Corp account via hi speed that is also unlimited dat.

Hi all

Reassure yourself by keeping tabs on: TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

You will see that you are part of the vast majority. Not every car gets the intermediate updates (thank goodness). You can spot when there's a "big push" on a version that more or less everyone will get.

It does appear, in my limited 12 months experience, that updates have slowed. I was used to getting a new version every 4 to 6 weeks during 2020. By that I mean a change in the second set of digits after 2020. This time last year I was on 2020.08.n

I assume that V10 is essentially at the end of it’s life, or should have been.
all that we are seeing is bug fixes and probably tweaks to keep the fleet safe, but little by way of improvements.
Sadly, the likes of phantom braking have yet to be properly addressed.

Thanks guys

The car will always get the notification over LTE but most updates will require you to be on a wifi connection. I say most as there have been exceptions in the past for safety-critical updates that were pushed out over LTE but this usually was tied to very early rollouts of a new version and I can't recall one being done on a version that was in wide-release. On my last Model 3 I was pushed 2020.44 and installed over wifi but there was a bug and they ended up pushing and installing 2020.44.10.1 over LTE 2 days later when I was away from home and wifi.

The car will always get the notification over LTE but most updates will require you to be on a wifi connection. I say most as there have been exceptions in the past for safety-critical updates that were pushed out over LTE but this usually was tied to very early rollouts of a new version and I can't recall one being done on a version that was in wide-release. On my last Model 3 I was pushed 2020.44 and installed over wifi but there was a bug and they ended up pushing and installing 2020.44.10.1 over LTE 2 days later when I was away from home and wifi.

Yes, I think there are frequent exceptions where the updates will come via LTE. I've certainly had a couple where I assumed that I had just received the notification of the new version availability but it turned out the downloads where already there on the car and ready to install.