Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had our model Y with FSD since March 7th 2021. While all my friends are enjoying new software features, I appear to be the only person in the country who still has firmware 2021.36.5.1.
I have called, but of course I am told these updates are in batches and out of their control.

I have Wi-Fi connections everyday. Any advise??
Make sure you are on advanced updates, and also make sure the car sleeps sometimes.

Upvote 0
I appear to be the only person in the country who still has firmware 2021.36.5.1.

No, not even close ( even though this is likely to be a joke). just take a look even here in the software subforum.

There are plenty of us (yes, us, including me) still on this version, you have not been singled out.

There is no advice beside "wait", that is all you, or anyone else waiting can do, there IS nothing else you can do.

Upvote 0
We have had our model Y with FSD since March 7th 2021. While all my friends are enjoying new software features, I appear to be the only person in the country who still has firmware 2021.36.5.1.
I have called, but of course I am told these updates are in batches and out of their control.

I have Wi-Fi connections everyday. Any advise??
That's the same version I'm on... I'm not holding my breath... A long time ago, when everyone was getting the update that brought Disney+, I didn't get it for several months.. In fact, I didn't get it until recently when it allowed me to click the request full self driving button....

Upvote 0
So I have been in the cue for FSD-beta on my Model Y since the beginning and never got it even though my safety score ran between 98 and 99 with a couple thousand miles. But once waiting for the FSD-beta my regular software updates stopped. I was on 32.22 since September.
Yesterday I decided to opt out of the FSD beta cue and see if that would trigger new software. Overnight nothing happened. So this morning I got in the car and selected software in the menu and clicked on "checking for software update" located under the current version number. Immediately, it began to download 36.5.1. I was hoping to get 44.5 which is the latest version but maybe we need to follow a version sequence to get there.

I never saw the selection to check for software update before. They always just appeared. as long as I was in the beta cue that checking option wasn't there that I noticed. I like that we can now trigger the update at home. I was told some time ago that if I fail to get updates, I could drive to the service center and their wifi will automatically update me but I will be stuck there for about 90 minutes.

I do have FSD-beta on my Model S at v10.6.1. It's a real chore to drive with FSD-beta as it is a work in progress. It's one year old in the beta program and drives sometimes like a 1 year old baby.

Update- 36.5.1 is installed but there is no selection to check for software update. Instead it says "your software is up to date." Disappointed as it is clearly not up to date.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And one thing to add to ^^^

I too was in the queue for FSD beta but I kept on getting dinged for people cutting in front of me due to extra car lengths and a couple of times somebody pulled out in front of me and collision warning. Got tired of it, no way to get high enough score, so I opted out the FSD beta queue by pressing that button again. No firmware updates since then, and interestingly the safety scoring is still happening, even though I lost access in the app to check it. I have the stats app running on my iPhone and that has a button to check my safety score, and apparently it is still being updated with each drive. Of course now that I opted out my score 99, about to hit 100 after 2 more miles, and I am driving like I would normally. WT??? Go figure. I wonder if I hit that FSD beta queue button again, would I gain access with my score now being 99 or 100? Hmmm... Might be some benefit to not getting software updates.

Upvote 0
DaveORD- when you opt out and back in after the SS disappears from the app, you will be updated to 100 and lose score from there as you drive. At one time beta FSD invite happened after registering 100 miles. Some said it takes 7 days but I got it the day after driving 115 miles after opting back in and maintaining a 100 score. This was on my Model S and very early. Lately, Tesla has been slow rolling out updates to existing testers as so many bugs have been surfacing. We even get notice now of "aborting due to system error" This is showing up on v10.6.1

There is a second trick to keeping the score high: Say you have 50 miles and out for another drive and after 15 miles you get a high impact alert like collision avoidance. Instead of continuing to drive, pull over immediately and put your car in park. Now reboot the car with both scroll wheels. While it is rebooting get out of the car and close the door. Wait for the car to completely reboot and then get back in. The ding you just got will never be sent back to Tesla. You will lose the 15 miles and start over at 50 miles with your high score.

Another thing to know is that your score is a 30 day moving average of daily averages of daily trips. Basically, it means that on the 31st day your average loses day one of your score.

• Informative
Reactions: jwuwu and DaveORD
Upvote 0
DaveORD- when you opt out and back in after the SS disappears from the app, you will be updated to 100 and lose score from there as you drive. At one time beta FSD invite happened after registering 100 miles. Some said it takes 7 days but I got it the day after driving 115 miles after opting back in and maintaining a 100 score. This was on my Model S and very early. Lately, Tesla has been slow rolling out updates to existing testers as so many bugs have been surfacing. We even get notice now of "aborting due to system error" This is showing up on v10.6.1

There is a second trick to keeping the score high: Say you have 50 miles and out for another drive and after 15 miles you get a high impact alert like collision avoidance. Instead of continuing to drive, pull over immediately and put your car in park. Now reboot the car with both scroll wheels. While it is rebooting get out of the car and close the door. Wait for the car to completely reboot and then get back in. The ding you just got will never be sent back to Tesla. You will lose the 15 miles and start over at 50 miles with your high score.

Another thing to know is that your score is a 30 day moving average of daily averages of daily trips. Basically, it means that on the 31st day your average losesc day one of your score.
Good trick. The Collision Warning Alert false alarm is definitely a PITA. However, what frequently keeps me from staying in the 99 range is the "Aggressive Braking". Mostly I let regenerate do my braking for me (not waiting till the last second) and I still get dinged. However, I had an episode where someone pulled out in front of me at an intersection and I really had to slam on the brakes. Somehow I DIDN'T get dinged for that trip but was dinged the prior day for a nice relaxing drive. ?

Upvote 0
By far the biggest ding, is if you get a forward collision warning... On my drive to drop off the kids to school, if I get an aggressive turn, or an aggressive brake, it only drops the average by one point, Two if I get both... (I get both often, becuase I live on a hill).. If I get a forward collision warning, it drops my average by about 15. So if I get that, I just reboot. The other one that drops your average by quite a bit, is if you get a following too closely, which sucks, becuase that happens all the time if I'm stuck in traffic... That seems to drop my average by about 5-10 depending on how much traffic and how often I get dinged with that.

Upvote 0
Did the same thing, stuck on same one. Dumbest thing I did was sign up for the beta. It’s been 34 days since my last update.

I also opted out after two weeks. Now I’m in software purgatory.
34 days? You get them that fast..

Mine always are between 55 and 65 days so far. There was one time I got two back to back, but I start looking forward to an update every 60 days. Matter of fact just got one today . Came from 2021.36.8 .. I wish we'd get every update you see on TeslaFi but it seems to be spaced evenly.

Upvote 0