Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software upgrade and 3G connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have houses in MA and ME, about a 210 mile trip, so at (my) highway speed and with the AC on full-blast, I can make the trip with my 85 kwh battery with 30-40 miles to spare.

I have been in ME the last week and I accepted the offer to install the version 61 of the software. It must have downloaded while I was driving around central ME because I have no AT&T 3G connection at my house. I scheduled the upgrade to take place in the middle of the night. The next morning, the touchscreen was frozen with the message that the upgrade completed and was being verified. Rebooting the touchscreen did not help. Tesla tech support suggested a few other types of reboots that also did not help. They asked me to get a 3G signal that involved driving around for a while; while I always had some bars on the signal strength meter, finding a 3G signal that illuminated the "3G" icon took a bit of trial and error. As an aside, during this entire trip, I had a strong Verizon 4G signal, but my friends tell me AT&T coverage sucks in central ME. Anyway, when Tesla tech support was finally able to connect to the car, a new download was forced that fixed the problem. They suggested the original download was probably corrupted by an intermittent 3G connection. I do applaud Tesla tech support for their diligence in getting me on the road on the Sunday that was the last day of my vacation.

What I learned: it may not be a good idea to install an upgrade if you do not have a good 3G signal. If the upgrade crashes the touchscreen, the ultimate fix may require a good 3G connection.

I have houses in MA and ME, about a 210 mile trip, so at (my) highway speed and with the AC on full-blast, I can make the trip with my 85 kwh battery with 30-40 miles to spare.

I have been in ME the last week and I accepted the offer to install the version 61 of the software. It must have downloaded while I was driving around central ME because I have no AT&T 3G connection at my house. I scheduled the upgrade to take place in the middle of the night. The next morning, the touchscreen was frozen with the message that the upgrade completed and was being verified. Rebooting the touchscreen did not help. Tesla tech support suggested a few other types of reboots that also did not help. They asked me to get a 3G signal that involved driving around for a while; while I always had some bars on the signal strength meter, finding a 3G signal that illuminated the "3G" icon took a bit of trial and error. As an aside, during this entire trip, I had a strong Verizon 4G signal, but my friends tell me AT&T coverage sucks in central ME. Anyway, when Tesla tech support was finally able to connect to the car, a new download was forced that fixed the problem. They suggested the original download was probably corrupted by an intermittent 3G connection. I do applaud Tesla tech support for their diligence in getting me on the road on the Sunday that was the last day of my vacation.

What I learned: it may not be a good idea to install an upgrade if you do not have a good 3G signal. If the upgrade crashes the touchscreen, the ultimate fix may require a good 3G connection.

After a similar experience at a friend's house, I vowed never to do an update away from home and have no immediate plans.