Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software v21.13.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was pulling my data from my two PowerWalls using the /api/meters/aggregates page and the exported and imported numbers were significantly smaller than the last time I did this on Saturday, it appears to be 1/2 of what it should be. Looking in the Tesla App the reporting kWh numbers look right and the version listed is now 21.13.2 when it was 20.49.0. The change log does not have the new version.

I was pulling my data from my two PowerWalls using the /api/meters/aggregates page and the exported and imported numbers were significantly smaller than the last time I did this on Saturday, it appears to be 1/2 of what it should be. Looking in the Tesla App the reporting kWh numbers look right and the version listed is now 21.13.2 when it was 20.49.0. The change log does not have the new version.
I am still on 20.40.3. And I believe it has to be a push update from Tesla?

I guess it is like the car, you can check all you want but if item is not in the batch slated for update you would not get it.

Maybe, or maybe not. The "installer menu" is not for us, but for the installers ( theoretically, "service people"). So, its possible that there is an option in the installer menu to trigger an update. I certainly wouldnt do it though.

I personally wouldnt not even log into that menu, because I am sure that access to that menu is likely logged (tesla would be silly not to log it), and if anything is changed that causes an issue with ones setup, and additional logins to installer menus by non certified personnel are noted, that *could* impact teslas response to such things (like covering under warranty or not).

But, back to the topic, I would not be surprised if the installer menu had an option to actually trigger an update, but in normal circumstances we just have to wait.

I guess it is like the car, you can check all you want but if item is not in the batch slated for update you would not get it.
If you have more than one Powerwall then you don't want this update.

The app is reporting that it sent only 2.8 kWh to the PowerWalls this morning after discharging 7.5 kWh yesterday. The app curve shows a longer charge period with a higher peak this morning then yesterday, but reports only 2.8 kWh versus 7.3 kWh yesterday. I believe that the PWs are 100% charged and just the reporting is wrong.

Is there a way to file bug reports with Tesla?

Screenshot_20210510-160711_Tesla.jpg

Screenshot_20210510-161012_Tesla.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I think the update is controlled by Tesla like I cannot decline or postpone it, you can postpone update to the car but there is no such option on the TEG2/PW. Can you use the service option in the app to request for service and report this? I think they respond within 3 business days.

• Funny
Reactions: jhn_
OP, I think the best thing would be to call tesla energy support over the phone. It appears to me, that what I would call "web tickets" (those coming in from the app) seem to go into a big bucket and get worked on while reps are in between other phone calls.

I say this as someone who still gets work escalated to them through a ticketing system myself. There are plenty of ways for someone in our company to "contact the help desk" (which isnt me), but the "fastest" way is to call, and have the help desk person either help you or not be able to help you, and put notes in their ticket, and escalate it.

Thats always faster at my company than simply submitting a ticket via the web interface, but people continue to submit over the web because "its easier" even if I tell them "only do that if you dont mind waiting to hear the answer for a while".

I dont work at tesla but my experience in dealing with them suggests its very similar to the above.

TL ; DR, dont bother using the app to submit a ticket unless you dont mind waiting for "whenever". Call energy support, get a human and have them escalate.

OP, I think the best thing would be to call tesla energy support over the phone. It appears to me, that what I would call "web tickets" (those coming in from the app) seem to go into a big bucket and get worked on while reps are in between other phone calls.

I say this as someone who still gets work escalated to them through a ticketing system myself. There are plenty of ways for someone in our company to "contact the help desk" (which isnt me), but the "fastest" way is to call, and have the help desk person either help you or not be able to help you, and put notes in their ticket, and escalate it.

Thats always faster at my company than simply submitting a ticket via the web interface, but people continue to submit over the web because "its easier" even if I tell them "only do that if you dont mind waiting to hear the answer for a while".

I dont work at tesla but my experience in dealing with them suggests its very similar to the above.

TL ; DR, dont bother using the app to submit a ticket unless you dont mind waiting for "whenever". Call energy support, get a human and have them escalate.

Since this is basically a reporting issue, I'm going to fall into the lazy user category for the moment especially since I know support and software release cycles and just submit the Tesla App service request to which I have already received a "request received and we will review and contact you with next steps" SMS text repl. The app said 3 days and it is Monday so Thursday or Friday or whenever hell freezes over, :)

I fully expect to get "the API isn't supported don't use it" reply, but since the App also has wrong data they should fix it. Well maybe, there are other bugs in the app they haven't fixed. I can get info on both PWs through the API url /api/system_status and the data looks right is matching with the reported PW state-of-charge in the app. The update might have just caused a glitch/reset/halving with the cumulative data and the relative number will be right going forward. Won't know until tomorrow.

According to the /api/status my update happened today at 11:37:29am. Maybe there is no good time for the update to be applied as in the middle of the night the PWs could be powering the house.

I think that someone here running a script that forces the Powerwalls to do a check for new code at night to avoid a possible interruption during discharge/charge cycles, but otherwise it is push from Tesla.
link to that by chance? i remember seeing it a while ago before i got my system installed, but can't seem to find it now.

My reported numbers in the app post-update were an export/discharge of 8.9 kWh and import/charge 10.2 kWh. This matches the change in the raw cumulative numbers from the TEG API for export (284,740 - 275,880 = 8,860) and import (372,720 - 362,570 = 10,160).

My guess is that somehow during the update one of the PW import/export counters was reset to 0 as the export/import totals went from 548,560/722,150 to 275,880/362,570 after the update and also after a discharge (7,500) and charge (unknown reported as 2,800) cycle.

Short term blip, a bit disconcerting, but no lasting effect other than in the records for that day.

Edit: No contact yet from the service request that I submitted

• Informative
Could this firmware update be the elusive doubling of power on newer units through firmware update next month (i.e. May)? @Redhill_qik have you noticed any apparent increase in continuous power output? Do you know if your Powerwall is one of the newer ones? (How to tell build date of PW v 2.1?)
Absolutely nothing to due with Powerwall+ to the best of my knowledge. My Powerwalls were installed on 9/29/20 which is before the speculated production start. The serial numbers are 120266xxxx and I have 30A breakers.

The API reports that the max_discharge_power is 10,000 for the two, but interestingly the API also lists the max_discharge_power for each unit as 7,000. The nominal_full_power_charge is 27,472 with unit 0 as 13,782 and unit 1 as 13,689.

My house load isn't that much, but there was an briefs spike that got to 7.6kW while PWs were discharging during peak.

Absolutely nothing to due with Powerwall+ to the best of my knowledge. My Powerwalls were installed on 9/29/20 which is before the speculated production start. The serial numbers are 120266xxxx and I have 30A breakers.

The API reports that the max_discharge_power is 10,000 for the two, but interestingly the API also lists the max_discharge_power for each unit as 7,000. The nominal_full_power_charge is 27,472 with unit 0 as 13,782 and unit 1 as 13,689.

My house load isn't that much, but there was an briefs spike that got to 7.6kW while PWs were discharging during peak.

I'm in similar boat - installed July 2020 and manufactured April 2020 I think (serial number TG120132xxxx) with 30A breaker. Still on FW 20.49.0 but just the one Powerwall for me so sometimes have more peak demand than Powerwall can supply (especially after sunset). I guess the max_discharge_power (assuming this is referring to peak) was 7K previously but guess time will tell...

I'm in similar boat - installed July 2020 and manufactured April 2020 I think (serial number TG120132xxxx) with 30A breaker. Still on FW 20.49.0 but just the one Powerwall for me so sometimes have more peak demand than Powerwall can supply (especially after sunset). I guess the max_discharge_power (assuming this is referring to peak) was 7K previously but guess time will tell...
Have you into your TEG and checked using the API URL.
https://##.##.##.##/api/system_status

It is a JSON block which can be confusing, but just look for the max_discharge_power keywords. Copying into JSON viewer will make it more clear.

Have you into your TEG and checked using the API URL.
https://##.##.##.##/api/system_status

It is a JSON block which can be confusing, but just look for the max_discharge_power keywords. Copying into JSON viewer will make it more clear.
I get a 404 page not found error when I try this?? I presume your "##.##.##.##" represents the IP address of gateway?