Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software v21.31.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the post on new app has been moved to another post, the reason I posted on new app initially was because it revealed that Tesla has removed Backup-only mode as a powerwall setting, and it is now replaced with Self-Powered with 100% reserve. Tesla support website also reflects this change (see below). I have noticed in the past that Powerwall with reserve of 100% had a different behavior than Backup-only mode, and I was told by Tesla tech that Backup-only mode was optimized for backup use case. It is interesting that now Tesla have decided to change behavior. I have created a service ticket with Tesla support to make sure this is not an oversight when they have decided to streamline Powerwall modes.

source: Powerwall Modes | Tesla Support
As noted, I don't think it was an oversight based on the updated documentation you link, which clearly states:

To use your Powerwall as a backup-only appliance, select Self-Powered mode with a Backup Reserve of 100%.

But I would be interested in any response you get as I agree the behavior in self-powered with 100% reserve is different than backup-only. I do not know if it is really worse for the batteries, and I also don't know if it is better for outages if it means the PWs kick in more quickly. But it is certainly a change.

(I also think that discussion/post really did belong here. The new app post was helpful in this thread to explain why the new behavior was occurring, with the discussion focused on the change of behavior that was apparently implemented in the 21.31.0 software update but only clearly exposed to users with the new app version.)

As noted, I don't think it was an oversight based on the updated documentation you link, which clearly states:
The oversight is specific to the charging behavior.
Back in May 2019, I was experimenting with using Powerwalls for backup only but keeping the SOC at less than 100%. I used Time of Use and set peak time to coincide with solar production, so in effect battery stayed at the reserve level. I noticed back then that with backup only, the charging strategy was to charge the battery when it dropped below 97% and it charged it up to 99%, but with Time of Use, there was a continuous trickle charge and the SOC remained at reserve. When I asked Tesla support why there was a difference in charging, I could not get a reasonable answer, except that the way I was using Time of Use was not typical.

Fast forward 2 years, and now we have the continuous trickle charge for backup only as well.

Did Tesla come to the conclusion that this strategy degrades battery less for backup only user, or was it out of convenience to consolidate backup with self-powered mode?

On Monday I called Tesla to report the odd trickle charge behavior when getting power from the grid and they put in bug ticket. Then tonight at 1:06am (just a few minutes ago) 21.31.1 was installed. Based on the first 5 minutes after .1 was installed the 100W trickle charge from grid is resolved.

On Monday I called Tesla to report the odd trickle charge behavior when getting power from the grid and they put in bug ticket. Then tonight at 1:06am (just a few minutes ago) 21.31.1 was installed. Based on the first 5 minutes after .1 was installed the 100W trickle charge from grid is resolved.
I just noticed it as well. I spoke with them last week Friday and it was escalated to level 2.

Thanks for the heads-up. I will keep an eye for this update.

I had created a service ticket using the app 1 week ago, and so far I haven't heard back from them. I thought I would give this method of requesting support a try since I didn't think my issue was urgent, and I didn't want to wait over 30 minutes on the phone to speak to level 1 support. But gosh, 1 week and no response!

August 2021​

Tesla App Version 21.31.0

We changed some stuff but don't want to commit what we did to writing in case it doesn't work so management doesn't yell at us (again). Should be enough to say that we made a major improvement by hacking the battery size (same power, smaller graphic!) and made the random power scrolling dots randomly scroll some more without rhyme or reason. Any actual reflection of power flow is purely coincidental. Stay tuned for our next release, happening during your next grid outage.

Didn't take long after the above for a new release to come out:

September 2021​

Tesla App Version 21.31.1

Apparently some customers (who spend way too much time on TMC -- our social media people are watching you!) complained about the "random power scrolling dots", so this new release (21.31.1) does away with them. Once at 100% charge and solar generation > house load, power is no longer randomly sent to the house from the batteries. Good thing we are not vengeful, otherwise we would release a new version of the app that does away with the nicely consolidated display and options like Backup mode. Oh wait, management made us pay for that poor sucker's monitor, so we are also releasing a new app version – look for v4 in the finer app stores.

Thanks for the link to the article. I was able to connect, but apparently I have to connect to the Gateway’s WiFi whenever I want to monitor, is that right? As long as the Tesla app is working, not sure when I would do that.
You can also monitor the gateway through your home WiFi network if you have it connected. If it isn't already connected, you can configure your WiFi network settings when logged into the gateway WiFi and then see what IP address it gets on your home network. If it is already on your home WiFi, you can also check your wireless router and maybe see what IP it got (for example mine shows up as a host named 1538000-25-F--TG121117001YZV, which is the part#--serial# and also shows on the summary page on the gateway.)

If you have a system with two Powerwall+ like I do, you can only monitor the Leader this way. The Follower joins the Leader WiFi, and not your home WiFi, so if you want to look at that you have to still connect to the Follower WiFi directly. (I'm not sure what benefit connecting to the Follower has, except then you can see the serial# and firmware version of the follower and powerwall. I haven't dug around enough yet to know if the API returns anything else different than what you get from the Leader.)

Still on 21.31.0. Contacted Tesla several days about weird blips seen when battery at 100% and requesting firmware upgrade to 21.31.1 but am yet to hear back. Guess I'll have to call and not just send a message.

Looks like 21.31.2 (1554effb436) just landed today, still waiting for my gateway to finish rebooting.
Update: Not sure what if anything changed in the UI, looks the same as the others in the 21.31.x line. Guess this build‘s changes are all hidden under the covers.

Last edited:
Still on 21.31.0 with no responses to web support requests. Ended up calling and they'll supposedly push through a firmware upgrade to 21.31.2. They said it is common for the PWs to "make room for solar" by briefly discharging to the house, but that it should only happen a couple of times a day, not every few seconds as is currently happening.

Does anyone else has noticed weird behavior from 21.31.2?

My solar +2xPW were installed last month and my G2 was running some old firmware which was pretty good. As I don't have PTO yet, My system is running in Self-Consumption Only mode. Up to 2 days ago (when the 21.31.2 was installed ) my average consumption from the grid was about 0.2kWh-0.5kWh, this with AC running, I was able to generate enough to charge my PWs during the day and run the AC. As of 2 days ago, I am seeing 3.0kWh-3.6kWh coming from the grid per day, with no changes to my daily consumption. How do you guys file ticket with Tesla? my next step would be to completely switch to off-grid and try that.

I had my 8.16kW system with powerwall + and powerwall 2 installed on 8/6 and am awaiting PTO. I'm running on 21.31.2 and Tesla app 4.0 but I don't see self consumption only mode anywhere. I called the powerwall support and they told me that self consumption only mode is only available for powerwall + installed after 8/8 as those have a different firmware but sounds fishy to me. Anyone else still awaiting PTO not have self consumption only mode?

I had my 8.16kW system with powerwall + and powerwall 2 installed on 8/6 and am awaiting PTO. I'm running on 21.31.2 and Tesla app 4.0 but I don't see self consumption only mode anywhere. I called the powerwall support and they told me that self consumption only mode is only available for powerwall + installed after 8/8 as those have a different firmware but sounds fishy to me. Anyone else still awaiting PTO not have self consumption only mode?
I have gateway on 21.31.2 and tesla app 4.0 running regular powerwall2 installed Feb 2021 and I have self powered mode.

I have gateway on 21.31.2 and tesla app 4.0 running regular powerwall2 installed Feb 2021 and I have self powered mode.
Screenshot_20210917-171128_Tesla.jpg
Screenshot_20210917-171226_Tesla.jpg