Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 20.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I happened to glance at my PVOutput log and noticed that my Powerwall had been offline for a few minutes. So I checked the software version and it's now 20.40.1. That's a big jump in the numbering from 1.50.1 and would suggest a significant change. I wonder what? Needless to say, the revision log hasn't yet been updated.

We will see, but just a guess that it isn't really a big jump - they just re-did their versioning so the "20" indicates the year. It might even be that 1.50 and 20.40 are the same thing, though perhaps more likely 20.40 is what would have been 1.51.

I am still on 1.50.1 for now here.

It's possible they are just changing the version naming system so that it matches the one used by vehicles. v1.50.1 doesn't indicate the year or week so it's difficult to know how old the version is.

Back in 2016, Tesla had version numbers such as 2.50.114 for vehicles but then at the beginning of 2017, they changed to the YY.week.release version number such as 17.3.15 (where YY is the 2 digit year). Later in 2017, they changed the version to YYYY.week.release such as 2017.32.6.

With a version of 20.40.1, I would assume that it was the first version released released in the 40th week of 2020.

Reactions: preilly44
Looks like different software versions for US vs UK. I was on 1.50.1 until this morning where it now shows 1.50.2. I don't see any notice of updates and when I click the software version on the app it shows October 2020 1.50 and 1.50.1 as the most recent versions.

• Informative
Reactions: Neil_dsb
Moderator note: This post (plus the 7 following posts) were merged in from another thread.

My gateway (v1) updated its firmware about an hour ago. The Powerwall release engineering folk must have changed their versioning schema because we went from 1.50.1 to 20.40.3. I wonder if they're adopting the same numbering as the vehicle software (the vehicle software used the last two digits of the year for a few months in 2017 until they switched again, to using all four digits of the year).

No release notes yet.

Bruce.

Last edited:
My gateway (v1) updated its firmware about an hour ago. The Powerwall release engineering folk must have changed their versioning schema because we went from 1.50.1 to 20.40.3. I wonder if they're adopting the same numbering as the vehicle software (the vehicle software used the last two digits of the year for a few months in 2017 until they switched again, to using all four digits of the year).

No release notes yet.

Bruce.

Mine also is was updated to 20.40.3. I always thought that using the time-based versioning was better than sequences versioning or semantic versioning for most end users. But this is far from settled in the development community

Apparently I've just got 20.40.3 on my Gateway, I'm guessing around 21:00 this evening because that's when my logging script stopped recording meter data....

...Has anyone else seen the meters at /api/meters/aggregates go from INT to FLOAT values? Just me?

(Specifically the houseImport/houseExport, gridImport/gridExport, batteryImport/batteryExport and solarImport/SolarExport values... just became FLOAT values of the same resolution as the previous INT values - Wh)