Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software version 2018.11.3 7ae26b4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having Ap1, Ap2, AP2.5, MCU2 and T3 code bases has to be driving the developers nuts. Changing hardware can become very expensive unless you design your vehicles to have replaceable modules to make future hardware upgrades easy and allow you to have a path to a single code base. Every test case has to be tested on every different vehicle hardware configuration to make sure you don't break something critical to safety as well as regress on functionality. The combinations increase exponentially making it almost impossible after a very short number of changes. It would cost less in the long haul to upgrade all models to the same hardware base for a proper modular design. Even writing the code to do automated testing becomes a nightmare. All AP2 cars should be upgraded to 2.5 and all MCU1 cars should be upgraded to MCU2, then S, X, and T3 would all have the same hardware base for functionality. AP1 may be too difficult to update given that it is lacking all the sensors.

Having Ap1, Ap2, AP2.5, MCU2 and T3 code bases has to be driving the developers nuts. Changing hardware can become very expensive unless you design your vehicles to have replaceable modules to make future hardware upgrades easy and allow you to have a path to a single code base. Every test case has to be tested on every different vehicle hardware configuration to make sure you don't break something critical to safety as well as regress on functionality. The combinations increase exponentially making it almost impossible after a very short number of changes. It would cost less in the long haul to upgrade all models to the same hardware base for a proper modular design. Even writing the code to do automated testing becomes a nightmare. All AP2 cars should be upgraded to 2.5 and all MCU1 cars should be upgraded to MCU2, then S, X, and T3 would all have the same hardware base for functionality. AP1 may be too difficult to update given that it is lacking all the sensors.
I would say sensors aren't an issue yet, since ap2 is only using one camera, radar, and ultrasonics like ap1. They seem to be improving side by side and will likely continue until ap1 comes out of beta and ap2 becomes enhanced, at which time ap2 will continue to get features and ap1 will get bug fixes.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
ap2 will continue to get features and ap1 will get bug fixes.
I think we're already to that point.

They seem to be improving side by side
Say what now? AP1 and AP2/2.5 are not improving side by side. There's a massive difference between the two. With AP1, the camera imagery processing happens on the Mobileye hardware and Tesla just reads the output. With AP2/2.5, Tesla runs the camera imagery through their own neural nets.

Radar and other sensor improvements may make it back to AP1 but I think they'll be small changes. If you're still looking for major features to come to AP1 cars then you will most likely end up disappointed.

I think we're already to that point.

Say what now? AP1 and AP2/2.5 are not improving side by side. There's a massive difference between the two. With AP1, the camera imagery processing happens on the Mobileye hardware and Tesla just reads the output. With AP2/2.5, Tesla runs the camera imagery through their own neural nets.

Radar and other sensor improvements may make it back to AP1 but I think they'll be small changes. If you're still looking for major features to come to AP1 cars then you will most likely end up disappointed.
Not true. I have an ap1 and an ap2 vehicle. Ap1 is currently outperforming ap2 on challenging roads and has been doing so since 6.1. 10.4 ap1 pulled even further ahead. I made a video of this and it’s clear with ap1 and ap2 side by side, ap2 requires me to take over in either the same spot or requires a take over where ap1 does not. It’s true the hardware is different, but currently all the excitement around 10.4 is that it is handling roads it could not before that ap1 was handling several updates before. I’m looking forward to the update that “enhances” autopilot and ap2 pulls ahead, but trust me, we ain’t there yet. 9C45B7A9-F37E-49A7-A9BE-D9CA8D52608C.jpeg

Last edited:
Not true. I have an ap1 and an ap2 vehicle. Ap1 is currently outperforming ap2 on challenging roads and has been doing so since 6.1. 10.4 ap1 pulled even further ahead. I made a video of this and it’s clear with ap1 and ap2 side by side, ap2 requires me to take over in either the same spot or requires a take over where ap1 does not. It’s true the hardware is different, but currently all the excitement around 10.4 is that it is handling roads it could not before that ap1 was handling several updates before. I’m looking forward to the update that “enhances” autopilot and ap2 pulls ahead, but trust me, we ain’t there yet.View attachment 289069
fasteddie is still a Boss...

Not true. I have an ap1 and an ap2 vehicle. Ap1 is currently outperforming ap2 on challenging roads and has been doing so since 6.1. 10.4 ap1 pulled even further ahead. I made a video of this and it’s clear with ap1 and ap2 side by side, ap2 requires me to take over in either the same spot or requires a take over where ap1 does not. It’s true the hardware is different, but currently all the excitement around 10.4 is that it is handling roads it could not before that ap1 was handling several updates before. I’m looking forward to the update that “enhances” autopilot and ap2 pulls ahead, but trust me, we ain’t there yet.View attachment 289069

This is odd to me because I have seen many videos where a car will do a road that is difficult and then another video where the same version will not do a road that is less difficult. This has happened to me around town as well. A road that it should have no business doing, it does fine, then a road that is less difficult, it fails. It has me wondering a bit if there is better tile mapping in certain places. Curves become much easier if the car can cheat using the paths from the map, where available. The tile maps are being built up over time and probably getting better and better as more data is collected and crunched. I think we all assumed that this pathing would be used in FSD, but it could be adding some value for AP. AP1 maybe better at some types of curves and Tesla has decided that pathing is required anyway, so it has focused on that solution. Who knows, just a though.

This is odd to me because I have seen many videos where a car will do a road that is difficult and then another video where the same version will not do a road that is less difficult. This has happened to me around town as well. A road that it should have no business doing, it does fine, then a road that is less difficult, it fails. It has me wondering a bit if there is better tile mapping in certain places. Curves become much easier if the car can cheat using the paths from the map, where available. The tile maps are being built up over time and probably getting better and better as more data is collected and crunched. I think we all assumed that this pathing would be used in FSD, but it could be adding some value for AP. AP1 maybe better at some types of curves and Tesla has decided that pathing is required anyway, so it has focused on that solution. Who knows, just a though.
This is what I've been doing with the 2 different autopilot generations. This is the 6.1 update and I'm doing the same.with the 10.4 next. Same time of day, same road, ap1 and 2

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
This is what I've been doing with the 2 different autopilot generations. This is the 6.1 update and I'm doing the same.with the 10.4 next. Same time of day, same road, ap1 and 2

Assuming this video was not 10.4 because those Hill crests shouldn't be an issue anymore. If they are, then I'll confused. Because hills cresting is something seems to work without flaw now.

Those curves didn't look that bad, but it would be great if you could use nav while you test so that we can see the curve on the map in the instrument cluster. Is that a rural road? Some videos have shown that the car will slow for sharper curves, I have noticed on your disengagements, there is no slowing. This is definitely something that could be coded into the map tile and would explain a lot.

Assuming this video was not 10.4 because those Hill crests shouldn't be an issue anymore. If they are, then I'll confused. Because hills cresting is something seems to work without flaw now.

Those curves didn't look that bad, but it would be great if you could use nav while you test so that we can see the curve on the map in the instrument cluster. Is that a rural road? Some videos have shown that the car will slow for sharper curves, I have noticed on your disengagements, there is no slowing. This is definitely something that could be coded into the map tile and would explain a lot.
The curves are sharp. The video is 6.1 working on 10.4 now. Hill crests are no issue for ap1 or 2 but ap1 slows into curves and ap2 still barrels into them. I'm super happy with both Autopilots and how they handle weather beaten Pennsylvania mountian hilly roads.