Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 2018.50.6 - No new features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto wiper algorithm has been improved but still broken in some cases. I would say say it's about 75% reliable at the moment.
If Tesla improved the algorithm it is still inadequate. Tesla needs to increase the sensitivity. There was a light rain today and several times I could barely see. At least I did NOT have to manually engage the wipers.

If the windshield wipers are on "automatic" they should turn on any time there is water on the windshield. The wipers do not turn on enough. I would much rather complain about the wipers going on too much.

Reactions: Richt
I would much rather complain about the wipers going on too much.

I'm personally the opposite. I was in a light sprinkle the other day and my wipers were going crazy which was extremely distracting. I much rather have to occasionally push the button on the stalk than to have them going too fast.

My wires go off when there is no rain streaking my window, then it is raining and they won't work so i have to keep piling the stick or set then to manual.

One of the wires things about the car for sure and It's not easy to anyway like it has been in cars done I was born...

Just got the update as well but I don't think the wipers will ever be good if they thought they could do this with cameras instead of tried and trued sensors.

Maybe there is an auto pilot update in there somewhere?

Iook forward to the day I can remove the charger from the car without messing with the door handle.

In my experience, I've also felt that wiper management has been poor; I'm often going into manual mode - or switching between wiper speeds throughout my rainy drives. In addition to the rain sensors, Telsa might consider the speed of the vehicle movement in their algorithm. I had this in my Honda Odyssey years ago, and it seemed to work well.

Haven't driven it since updating last night, but I just went to turn on the heat in the car and it woke from sleep nearly instantly (via LTE). In the two months I've owned my car it has NEVER woken up and connected this quickly. Hopefully this wasn't just a fluke.

Parked car outside at work 30 minutes ago. Just went to check the status in the app. Took 22 seconds to respond.

In my experience, I've also felt that wiper management has been poor; I'm often going into manual mode - or switching between wiper speeds throughout my rainy drives. In addition to the rain sensors, Telsa might consider the speed of the vehicle movement in their algorithm. I had this in my Honda Odyssey years ago, and it seemed to work well.

I just wonder if they will ever be able to get this right. Its been a disappointment. I wish the wipers would act more on the side of caution even if it means wiping more when the window is dry.

In the dead of winter, parked outside at work, I'm kinda OK with my car not responding INSTANTLY on the app. It means it's "asleep", and not phantom draining to reduce range for my ride home from work.

I got this update last night, and I didn't notice anything different, good or bad, with EAP on my commute in. It appears to be pretty much the same as 50.5 was.

I'm guessing the incremental difference here is likely the high beam flickering, which I haven't had a chance to test at night yet.

I just wonder if they will ever be able to get this right. Its been a disappointment. I wish the wipers would act more on the side of caution even if it means wiping more when the window is dry.

It does seem that the wipers are being under utilized; what bothers me is that making changes to the wiper speed is more of a process than in my other cars; I sometimes find that I'm swiping through the display trying to get to the wiper settings - depending on what is being displayed at the time - vs a quick twist on a streering stalk - it breaks with the Model 3's simplicity of design and useability experience.

Tesla definately needed to do more work on this; I hope it is something that can be resolved through software, but I suspect there may be more to it. Another major issue people have noted in the rain is that water rushes into the trunk (while opening) from the rear glass during a heavier downpour. I can't remember having this problem with my other cars either.

It does seem that the wipers are being under utilized; what bothers me is that making changes to the wiper speed is more of a process than in my other cars; I sometimes find that I'm swiping through the display trying to get to the wiper settings - depending on what is being displayed at the time - vs a quick twist on a streering stalk - it breaks with the Model 3's simplicity of design and useability experience.

Tesla definately needed to do more work on this; I hope it is something that can be resolved through software, but I suspect there may be more to it. Another major issue people have noted in the rain is that water rushes into the trunk (while opening) from the rear glass during a heavier downpour. I can't remember having this problem with my other cars either.

There is a usability hack for this. Just tap the wiper button briefly to get them come on and it will automatically bring the wiper speed adjustment onto the screen where you can set it.

Try RainX. I did the whole windshield, minus the part where the cameras are. Made a big improvement in reducing my anger level at the auto-wiper issues!

In the Tesla 3 Owner's manual, they specifically state under Cautions for Exterior Cleaning - "Do not use windshield treatment fluids. Doing so can interfere with wiper friction and cause a chattering sound."

Have you noticed this issue?

I'm hoping this release will resolve an issue I've had with lockups in the entertainment system. Going in between Radio and Streaming has locked up the system almost everytime. In a two mile stretch, I had it happen three times. I'll try to replicate and get back to the group, since I installed this update last evening.

I just received a notification that there's an update available and it will require 45 mins to install.

I giddily tapped at my phone in excitement and happy agreed, even nodding my head, as I clicked "yes" when it asked me to "install now?"

Now, it shows " software update in progress" on my Tesla app and I'm kind of excited to see what new features it will have when I drive my car in a few hours.

(please tell me there's new features....)

Haven't checked but sometimes.es there are fixes to existing features. For example when navigate on autopilot came out the lane speed recommended to change lanes was originally a one time change to the faster lane. A later update like this one added the feature that recognized whether you were in the passing lane and recommended to get out of the passing lane when that lane is empty.