Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 2018.50.6 - No new features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kinda gave up on the browser a couple of months ago. Tried it out of the blue on 50.6 and it has consistently loaded web pages on LTE and Wifi. I'm not too concerned with whether it's client or server side, or whether it got fixed in this update, but I'm definitely glad it's finally usable.

Reactions: Falkirk
NoA experience is terrible now since the car can’t lane change anymore.
I'm also having auto pilot inconsistencies. Lane changes will starting changing but abruptly turn back into original lane then when I change lanes again my turn blinker would be stuck. I've also encountered flickering headlights and black screen for 30 seconds upon entering vehicle for the first time on 50.6.

Interesting that Tesla is still tweaking software release from the 2nd week of Dec....

No new versions released yet and we are in the 4th week of Jan...

Could allot of something big be just on the horizon?
Maybe, but just as likely Tesla needs to balance the additional service calls they get with every release with their staff reduction. I would prefer fewer upgrades if that improved their QA testing and the upgrades had more changes.

Actually, that wasn't me. I really am having an issue with this firmware release that I had never seen before. o_O

I've gone through all the standard troubleshooting, plus a few bonus rounds that I've picked up since I first got our S 3.5 years ago, and can only assume that something in this specific release has created an issue that wasn't there before.

I will agree that some things are very situational and a result of a perceived difference when there could be any of a number of variables involved beyond the firmware. In my case, I have controlled for every other variable, and the firmware is the only thing left to explain the change in behavior.
My mistake! I meant to quote SCW-Greg.

Have you tried auto change lane? If there is a car in sight (maybe 3-4 cars lane behind) it will not change lane. It hesitates.. today I was on a 3 lane highway with no car in sight, the car wouldn’t change lane... it seems to me that the proximity sensors are way more sensitive now.
I've tried auto change lane and it works fine for me. I tried it with a car in my blind spot and it slowed down and got behind the car. I tried it with no car in the next lane and it was fine. And finally I tried it with a car approaching and it was able to do it. Granted in the last scenario the car wasn't approaching that fast. It never got into the field of view of the car until after the lane change was complete.

Have you tried auto change lane? If there is a car in sight (maybe 3-4 cars lane behind) it will not change lane. It hesitates.. today I was on a 3 lane highway with no car in sight, the car wouldn’t change lane... it seems to me that the proximity sensors are way more sensitive now.
Yeah, if it won't change lanes with no one in sight then it sounds like something isn't right. What sensitivity do you have the auto lane change set to? I use Mad Max. You should check it out since the update could've reset it. I used NoA quite a bit over the weekend and had no trouble with lane changes other than it sometimes suggesting a lane change in situations where I wouldn't attempt it (i.e. cars approaching my blind spot - although it did show the red line when they reached the blind spot, or suggesting a move to the right when there was a semi next to me and the display showing the directional line going right through it). I also had a situation where it braked for a car slowing down on the exit ramp next to me but my lane was curving left so it probably thought it was in my lane. I guess better safe than sorry. I just pressed the accelerator to force it back up to speed. Another time it wanted to take an exit ramp without slowing down from 70 MPH with a curve fast approaching. On the other hand it did very well on other exits and interchanges. Overall I would say that the good far outweighed the bad. The specific issues I listed were the extent of the bad but there were many more instances where it worked seamlessly including some pretty challenging situations.

Yeah, if it won't change lanes with no one in sight then it sounds like something isn't right. What sensitivity do you have the auto lane change set to? I use Mad Max. You should check it out since the update could've reset it. I used NoA quite a bit over the weekend and had no trouble with lane changes other than it sometimes suggesting a lane change in situations where I wouldn't attempt it (i.e. cars approaching my blind spot - although it did show the red line when they reached the blind spot, or suggesting a move to the right when there was a semi next to me and the display showing the directional line going right through it). I also had a situation where it braked for a car slowing down on the exit ramp next to me but my lane was curving left so it probably thought it was in my lane. I guess better safe than sorry. I just pressed the accelerator to force it back up to speed. Another time it wanted to take an exit ramp without slowing down from 70 MPH with a curve fast approaching. On the other hand it did very well on other exits and interchanges. Overall I would say that the good far outweighed the bad. The specific issues I listed were the extent of the bad but there were many more instances where it worked seamlessly including some pretty challenging situations.

I no longer bother with auto lane confirmation so I disabled it. My thinking is since I have to visually confirm it's safe to change lanes anyway just look once to make sure a lane change is safe and turn your blinker on.
Much simpler, avoids false lane change confirmations especially when approaching exits and more reliable. Even with the setting disabled NoA will still automatically take the exit ramp..

I no longer bother with auto lane confirmation so I disabled it. My thinking is since I have to visually confirm it's safe to change lanes anyway just look once to make sure a lane change is safe and turn your blinker on.
Much simpler, avoids false lane change confirmations especially when approaching exits and more reliable. Even with the setting disabled NoA will still automatically take the exit ramp..
Good point. Maybe I'll try backing down the sensitivity and see how that goes. I set it to Mad Max when it seemed to be overly timid with changing lanes. I don't want to turn it off entirely since I don't want to miss an upcoming turn while gabbing with passengers. But now that the actual lane changes are better I find that it suggests lane changes in situations where I wouldn't normally do it. Turning it down a notch might more closely match my preference.

Good point. Maybe I'll try backing down the sensitivity and see how that goes. I set it to Mad Max when it seemed to be overly timid with changing lanes. I don't want to turn it off entirely since I don't want to miss an upcoming turn while gabbing with passengers. But now that the actual lane changes are better I find that it suggests lane changes in situations where I wouldn't normally do it. Turning it down a notch might more closely match my preference.

Does Mad Max vs other settings affects how it performs the lane changes? I thought it only affected the sensitivity for notifications to change lanes.

Reactions: evannole
From my experience, Mad Max only changes how frequently it suggests a lane change. The actual lane change itself is the same regardless of which setting you select.
That setting seems to control the relative speed differential at which it will suggest passing a car in front of you. Mad Max means the least speed differential, so if your set speed is 75 mph it will want to pass a car going, say, 71. The lower settings will require a slower car (68, 65, whatever) before it will prompt you to pass.

I drove down to Atlanta and back this weekend on 50.6, with about 800 miles using Nav on AP. It was very good overall. Lane changed many times, with only 3-4 aborts (still not sure what caused those). I got more comfortable with it changing lanes in traffic, but it still needs to anticipate better. Occasionally, it would suggest changing lanes to "stay on route" when it was not necessary. Then, a couple times it stayed in a lane that was ending, until I had to hit the turn signal to change lanes. It also suggested passing on the right a couple times, even though the left was clear.

It handled construction pretty well, but I took over in a couple of cases where the lane markings were really bad. I wish it would give semis a wider berth, especially when the lanes are narrow--I took over a few times out of paranoia. There were a few times when it said construction was detected and NoA was limited, but that didn't seem to make a big difference. Also had 3 or 4 sections of pavement on overpasses which were very light compared to the surrounding road surface and the lines were either gone or very faint. It beeped and said hold the wheel, but the sections were so short and straight that the car stayed in the lane.

At night, when the traffic thinned out, it was really stress free.

That setting seems to control the relative speed differential at which it will suggest passing a car in front of you. Mad Max means the least speed differential, so if your set speed is 75 mph it will want to pass a car going, say, 71. The lower settings will require a slower car (68, 65, whatever) before it will prompt you to pass.

I drove down to Atlanta and back this weekend on 50.6, with about 800 miles using Nav on AP. It was very good overall. Lane changed many times, with only 3-4 aborts (still not sure what caused those). I got more comfortable with it changing lanes in traffic, but it still needs to anticipate better. Occasionally, it would suggest changing lanes to "stay on route" when it was not necessary. Then, a couple times it stayed in a lane that was ending, until I had to hit the turn signal to change lanes. It also suggested passing on the right a couple times, even though the left was clear.

It handled construction pretty well, but I took over in a couple of cases where the lane markings were really bad. I wish it would give semis a wider berth, especially when the lanes are narrow--I took over a few times out of paranoia. There were a few times when it said construction was detected and NoA was limited, but that didn't seem to make a big difference. Also had 3 or 4 sections of pavement on overpasses which were very light compared to the surrounding road surface and the lines were either gone or very faint. It beeped and said hold the wheel, but the sections were so short and straight that the car stayed in the lane.

At night, when the traffic thinned out, it was really stress free.
Exactly relative speed differential. Everything else seems the same regardless of mode.

I'm so glad to learn that I'm not the only one with wiper issues. I find it extremely unnerving (not to mention a bit frightening) when there's a sudden, blinding downpour and I have to take my eyes off the road to adjust the speed of the wipers. Can't wait til Tesla fixes this.

In the Tesla 3 Owner's manual, they specifically state under Cautions for Exterior Cleaning - "Do not use windshield treatment fluids. Doing so can interfere with wiper friction and cause a chattering sound."

Have you noticed this issue?
BUY 3 products! Try using Trico ONYX blades, and denatured alcohol. Buy the blades put on some rain-x when/IF you get the “chattering” CLEAN your blades with the alcohol, get an old WHITE rag clean blades til NO more black streaks, that will guarantee you NEVER need another pair of blades EVER!