Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 9/10 for Non-AP/Classic Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought it was always press, release, then talk?? That’s the only way I’ve done it for the last ~3 years...
Originally it was "press and hold":
voice command problems? try this...

I'm not sure when they changed it to "press and release" but the original "press and hold" continued to work through last November, so it didn't occur to me that the technique I've been using successfully for years no longer worked.

Release notes for update 2020.8.2:

Firmware update 2020.8.2crop 2353 3-27-20.JPG

I was concerned about another update because 2020.12.1 has some severe issues reported, however 8.2 seems pretty solid. I gather from other reports that the bluetooth change is very welcome. Voice commands have been working pretty well for me in the previous 4.1 version but they did fail at times, so improved responsiveness for those is helpful.

I regret to report that the TPMS reset button is gone again in 2020.8.2, as first reported here:

TPMS reset on V10

I checked, and it really is gone. :( (I'm glad I took my snow tires off several weeks ago and did the TPMS reset on the regular tire wheels then.) One step forward, one step back when it comes to software updates on older cars...

I regret to report that the TPMS reset button is gone again in 2020.8.2, as first reported here:

TPMS reset on V10

I checked, and it really is gone. :( (I'm glad I took my snow tires off several weeks ago and did the TPMS reset on the regular tire wheels then.) One step forward, one step back when it comes to software updates on older cars...
I had the old type TPMS system (the one without tire pressures showing on the dash) in my 2013 Model S and it failed so I had to upgrade to the new one. Now I get tire pressures on the dash and when I changed over to summer tires, it detected them fine without hitting the reset button (which was there at the time). I know this doesn't help people who have the old system, but the new system does work properly in old cars.

I had the old type TPMS system (the one without tire pressures showing on the dash) in my 2013 Model S and it failed so I had to upgrade to the new one. Now I get tire pressures on the dash and when I changed over to summer tires, it detected them fine without hitting the reset button (which was there at the time). I know this doesn't help people who have the old system, but the new system does work properly in old cars.
For many of us that's a very expensive fix for what is a simple software error on Tesla's part. It requires installing the new system in the car, plus eight new sensors plus eight tire mounting and rebalancing charges.

That's a lot to pay for Tesla's software mistake!

Reactions: HankLloydRight
For many of us that's a very expensive fix for what is a simple software error on Tesla's part. It requires installing the new system in the car, plus eight new sensors plus eight tire mounting and rebalancing charges.

That's a lot to pay for Tesla's software mistake!
Indeed. I only did it because the system in my car failed and I didn't want the dashboard error message for the rest of the life of the car, particularly since it's treated as a high-priority message, overriding others on the dash display. I was also replacing all 8 tires anyway, so it was a good time to change the sensors. If they could have just shut off the error message, I would have taken that, although it is good to know if the tire pressure drops...

Did you change wheels as well?

If you only changed tires it would have still worked with the old system. At least that is my experience. The bug seems to hit when you change wheels as well.
I didn't change wheels, but I'm not sure what bug you're referring to. I was constantly getting the error "Tire pressure monitoring system fault - Sensors unable to measure tire pressure". If I did the reset process, sometimes the error would go away for a while, but then it would come back. I waited until I switched to the other set of tires to see if the problem would go away, but it didn't. Tesla said I had one bad (old type) sensor and replaced it, but the error came back within a day, so they replaced the TPMS module and 4 sensors. I got new sensors for the other 4 tires when I had them installed at a tire shop a while later. BTW, these sensors work with the new TPMS system and are cheaper than what the tire shop offered.

Release notes for update 2020.8.2:
These notes fail to correctly modify the 2020.4.1 manual for the Model X (published in January) in a way that deprecates, fully, the old way(s) of accessing voice. Accordingly, the manual is wrong, or the software is out-of-specifications. This is a fairly significant error caused by Tesla's manual writers failing to communicate with their software developers. The greatly concerns me, because this same team is supposed to be guiding us to some kind of Full Self Driving nirvana, and they have to be ultra clear about what features require human supervision, what features don't, and what features work according to an undocumented user experience.

For months, I've asked Tesla to fix my voice commands, with the last service technician laying the blame on the software development team in early February. Anyway, for those old-timers who've been using the old methods, my summary

Do not click the voice button (and release); speak your command; and click the voice button in conclusion. The manual, p. 57 is wrong

upload_2020-4-22_20-24-39.png

April 22, 2020 and Release 2020.12.10 is rolling out, with no mention that the old user experience is no longer functional.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I've been on 2020.8.2 for almost a year since Tesla kept trying to force known-defective 2020.12.5 on me for eight months. Since my MCU1 was working ok, I stuck with the older software. I did have the screen blank out yesterday for several minutes when trying to get going yesterday morning, with a warning to reboot it, a first. Haven't seen any other signs of failure on my three year old MCU1 thus far. Perhaps helped by NOT cluttering it up with numerous useless auto pilot software updates.

So, I finally decided to try one more new build: 2020.48.37.1 Release notes below. The only obvious thing I notice so far, since I haven't driven with it yet, is that the Supercharger icons on the nav map are larger and a lot easier to see and select.

Firmware 2020.48.37.1 2388crop 2-25-21.jpg

Firmware 2020.48.37.1 2389crop 2-25-21.jpg

Firmware 2020.48.37.1 2390crop 2-25-21.jpg

Firmware 2020.48.37.1 2385crop 2-25-21.jpg

Firmware 2020.48.37.1 2386crop 2-25-21.jpg

Firmware 2020.48.37.1 2387crop 2-25-21.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yeah not much change for us. You would think we speed limit warning on the dash. Maybe get the clock and date back on there too.

Not sure if you noticed we can use the garage link through the mobile app. Just took some business from Amazon garage delivery lol

Yeah not much change for us. You would think we speed limit warning on the dash. Maybe get the clock and date back on there too.

Not sure if you noticed we can use the garage link through the mobile app. Just took some business from Amazon garage delivery lol

Yes the home link functionality in the app had been there for some time however I noticed that it didn't work nor did I even have the option, on my app until I got the daughter board upgrade after my MCU one failed.

I opted to do the daughter board upgrade as opposed to replacing the unit. (Personally not interested in Netflix and YouTube and a bunch of useless games that really serve no purpose at least for me, nor was I ready to give up my radios)

It should be noted however that presently I think Tesla has provided a path forward for those that want to keep their AM/FM and XM radios when doing the mcu2 upgrade for a few dollars more of course .. lol!

Also I now have the ability to vent the windows from the app. But sadly I cannot close them, can't imagine why that can't be done. I'm certain it's not a limitation of the car's hardware or the software that controls it. So it has to be some type of legal problem or not wanting the liability of someone getting their "something or other" caught in a window that's being rolled up remotely.

And for Pete's sake it can't be that hard to put the day and the date on one of those two computer screens it used to be there so the capability exists why it was removed I have no clue.

Reactions: gmo43 and Brass Guy
And for Pete's sake it can't be that hard to put the day and the date on one of those two computer screens it used to be there so the capability exists why it was removed I have no clue.

Agreed! Back when it was first removed, the response was "eh, you can still see the date on the skeuomorphic calendar icon on the top icon bar on the main screen".

Then they removed the icons. And then the color. And then the contrast.

I fact I have a cousin who works on the Tesla UI/UX team (oxymoron), and he gave me a sneak peak at the next UI update, and I was able to get a picture of it:
upload_2021-2-26_18-57-46.png

Yes the home link functionality in the app had been there for some time however I noticed that it didn't work nor did I even have the option, on my app until I got the daughter board upgrade after my MCU one failed.

I opted to do the daughter board upgrade as opposed to replacing the unit. (Personally not interested in Netflix and YouTube and a bunch of useless games that really serve no purpose at least for me, nor was I ready to give up my radios)

It should be noted however that presently I think Tesla has provided a path forward for those that want to keep their AM/FM and XM radios when doing the mcu2 upgrade for a few dollars more of course .. lol!

Also I now have the ability to vent the windows from the app. But sadly I cannot close them, can't imagine why that can't be done. I'm certain it's not a limitation of the car's hardware or the software that controls it. So it has to be some type of legal problem or not wanting the liability of someone getting their "something or other" caught in a window that's being rolled up remotely.

I have home link on the app as a result of this latest software upgrade and I haven't had the daughter board replaced yet, so nothing to do with the latter.

So far as the app "Vent" windows is concerned, yes, I'm sure the windows can't be closed via the app because of the danger of a child or dog being caught by the closing window.

As others have noted, the IC speed reading is now a skinny font. Quite readable but not as aesthetically pleasing as the old font IMO. The gear selection display has been moved to the left and the outside temperature and time are on the right, where PRND used to be. A "classic" case of making useless changes just for change sake, in typical Tesla fashion!

The Supercharger icons on the nav map are not only larger, the ones within current battery range of the car show the number of open stalls, to allow choosing a station that isn't full. The faint out of range icons show the usual lightning bolt symbol.

Reactions: gmo43