Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 9/10 for Non-AP/Classic Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed! Back when it was first removed, the response was "eh, you can still see the date on the skeuomorphic calendar icon on the top icon bar on the main screen".

Then they removed the icons. And then the color. And then the contrast.

I fact I have a cousin who works on the Tesla UI/UX team (oxymoron), and he gave me a sneak peak at the next UI update, and I was able to get a picture of it:
View attachment 640425

Can you tell him my slow charging is not slow enough on this latest update. Make it slower on the next firmware. Also add more pointless games. Thanks! Oh and one last one. For abundance of caution take half my battery capacity so my battery outlast the warranty and even my life.

There are those little things that I like and often go unnoticed

E44A3798-1897-4D76-81A1-7AA422DD0461.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
I have home link on the app as a result of this latest software upgrade and I haven't had the daughter board replaced yet, so nothing to do with the latter.

So far as the app "Vent" windows is concerned, yes, I'm sure the windows can't be closed via the app because of the danger of a child or dog being caught by the closing window.

As others have noted, the IC speed reading is now a skinny font. Quite readable but not as aesthetically pleasing as the old font IMO. The gear selection display has been moved to the left and the outside temperature and time are on the right, where PRND used to be. A "classic" case of making useless changes just for change sake, in typical Tesla fashion!

The Supercharger icons on the nav map are not only larger, the ones within current battery range of the car show the number of open stalls, to allow choosing a station that isn't full. The faint out of range icons show the usual lightning bolt symbol.

Well on the remote window closing perhaps , however I am able to open and close the rear hatch remotely which I would presume would pose similar danger particularly since some vehicles can have rear facing seats. But who knows what their rhyme or reason is but I can't see any harm in being able to close Windows remotely in light of the above.

any improvements or changes to the navigation will probably be lost on me as well. Relatively certain that about 99.9% of the places that I travel to throughout my normal work week and my normal life generally I do not use navigation because I know where I'm going and where I am. It's not that complicated out here in rural Arizona. For the handful of times I do use navigation in say a year's time I'm still kind of chapped that I'm forced to have it on the screen all the time when I use it so infrequently. Would much rather have that real estate back to display something else.

But I guess that's the whole full self driving way of the future I guess and I'm just going to be funneled along with the herd lol! Even though it seems once anything approaching self-driving is accomplished the navigation map would be redundant and useless. All you would need is to tell the vehicle where you want to go.

Last edited:
Well on the remote window closing perhaps , however I am able to open and close the rear hatch remotely which I would presume would pose similar danger particularly since some vehicles can have rear facing seats. But who knows what their rhyme or reason is but I can't see any harm in being able to close Windows remotely in light of the above.

any improvements or changes to the navigation will probably be lost on me as well. Relatively certain that about 99.9% of the places that I travel to throughout my normal work week and my normal life generally I do not use navigation because I know where I'm going and where I am. It's not that complicated out here in rural Arizona. For the handful of times I do use navigation in say a year's time I'm still kind of chapped that I'm forced to have it on the screen all the time when I use it so infrequently. Would much rather have that real estate back to display something else.

But I guess that's the whole full self driving way of the future I guess and I'm just going to be funneled along with the herd lol! Even though it seems once anything approaching self-driving is accomplished the navigation map would be redundant and useless. All you would need is to tell the vehicle where you want to go.
The rear hatch closes gently and will stop if you block it.

Like you, I don't ever need to use nav for local driving, although I rely on it for road trips, which is most of my miles (I've Supercharged my car more than 460 times). For local driving I have it on satellite view, because that is pretty where I live, and zoom it out to three or four hundred miles across, so that it doesn't have to paint tiles as I drive. Now that I think about it, I have put nav on map view only a couple of times in all the years I've owned the car — I greatly prefer satellite view.

I do wish the music player wouldn't always come up when I start up. Back in the "good old days" the screen windows would stay where we left them, when we started up. One of the many things that Tesla "fixed." :(

Last edited:
The rear hatch closes gently and will stop if you block it.

Like you, I don't ever need to use nav for local driving, although I rely on it for road trips, which is most of my miles (I've Supercharged my car more than 460 times). For local driving I have it on satellite view, because that is pretty where I live, and zoom it out to three or four hundred miles across, so that it doesn't have to paint tiles as I drive. Now that I think about it, I have put nav on map view only a couple of times in all the years I've owned the car — I greatly prefer satellite view.

I do wish the music player wouldn't always come up when I start up. Back in the "good old days" the screen windows would stay where we left them, when we started up. One of the many things that Tesla "fixed." :(

Zooming the navigation screen out is an awesome idea have no idea why I never thought about that. I never use map view either since I have to look at it I might as well look at the satellite view at least during the times of the year that it's colorized :). It generally zooms out on its own to a point where it's not terribly annoying. I do use it on the occasional road trip but that's primarily to keep track of supercharger stops and so forth not necessarily to get where I'm going unless of course the place that I'm going to is an unknown.

Still liking the car but I do wish that I had my battery back and my supercharging speeds back and my day and date back among other things back. mwahaha.. lol!

I have home link on the app as a result of this latest software upgrade and I haven't had the daughter board replaced yet, so nothing to do with the latter.

So far as the app "Vent" windows is concerned, yes, I'm sure the windows can't be closed via the app because of the danger of a child or dog being caught by the closing window.

As others have noted, the IC speed reading is now a skinny font. Quite readable but not as aesthetically pleasing as the old font IMO. The gear selection display has been moved to the left and the outside temperature and time are on the right, where PRND used to be. A "classic" case of making useless changes just for change sake, in typical Tesla fashion!

The Supercharger icons on the nav map are not only larger, the ones within current battery range of the car show the number of open stalls, to allow choosing a station that isn't full. The faint out of range icons show the usual lightning bolt symbol.

I had read at some point that there were actually two MCU 1 units used. One that was in very early production and one that came slightly later.

I noticed that originally they ordered the 64 GB retrofit daughter board for my car but were unable to use it. I wound up getting an updated 8 gig daughter board and it is immediately thereafter that the functionality I was talking about for homelink via the app came alive. keep in mind I am VIN number 162 Signature not the oldest car out there but she's pretty early production.

I had read at some point that there were actually two MCU 1 units used. One that was in very early production and one that came slightly later.

I noticed that originally they ordered the 64 GB retrofit daughter board for my car but were unable to use it. I wound up getting an updated 8 gig daughter board and it is immediately thereafter that the functionality I was talking about for homelink via the app came alive. keep in mind I am VIN number 162 Signature not the oldest car out there but she's pretty early production.
VIN 1931 and they ordered 64gb below... apparently worked. I heard early in this debacle that early Ss had installation issues, so I was surprised when there *wasn’t* an issue.

MSX PCBA, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-A - PROVISIONED (64 GB)-REMANUFACTURED
Part #: 2728212-S0-A

If you still have the original MCU1, only recently updated with a new daughter board, I am amazed!

My MCU1 is newer than my car. It was replaced with the LTE version about three years ago after the original died under warranty. (Mobile service didn't have any replacements so they dropped off a rental car and flatbeded my car 300 miles across the mountains to the service center. My car couldn't be driven to the service center because it would only charge at about 400 watts, less than wall outlet speed, and the service center was way beyond my range of 178 RM at 100%.)

I've been trying to baby the new MCU1 until I can get the chip replaced. Just started having the screen go blank for minutes at a time before rebooting. The new software now has a brief message on the IC, when the screen is dead on startup, to "step on the brake pedal for thirty seconds to start" the car. It seemed to work. The screen eventually rebooted while I was driving.

Can't wait for the recall board replacement. The current situation is ridiculous.

Last edited:
If you still have the original MCU1, only recently updated with a new daughter board, I am amazed!

My MCU1 is newer than my car. It was replaced with the LTE version about three years ago after the original died under warranty. (Mobile service didn't have any replacements so they dropped off a rental car and flatbeded my car 300 miles across the mountains to the service center. My car couldn't be driven to the service center because it would only charge at about 400 watts, less than wall outlet speed, and the service center was way beyond my range of 178 RM at 100%.)

I've been trying to baby the new MCU1 until I can get the chip replaced. Just started having the screen go blank for minutes at a time before rebooting. The new software now has a brief message on the IC, when the screen is dead on startup, to "step on the brake pedal for thirty seconds to start" the car. It seemed to work. The screen eventually rebooted while I was driving.

Can't wait for the recall board replacement. The current situation is ridiculous.
Running 2020.48.37.1 on my classic S85, the car's WiFi and Bluetooth will no longer work (show "Initializing" indefinitely) after the car wakes from sleep. However once I reboot the center console the functionality comes back... so it's certainly not bad hardware. Something changed in their latest code that breaks things on sleeping/waking the vehicle. Note I have a refurb 64GB Tegra daughterboard in my original MCU1 (with replaced display) and the LTE retrofit... so a mixed bag.

• Helpful
Reactions: dgpcolorado
PXL_20210303_030801209.jpg

To my knowledge that was the case I know the screen had been replaced but the MCU until it failed hadn't been until I just did it and it was so old that it could not take the 64 GB daughter board retrofit they used an unspecified I'm assuming 8 gig chip and I did the LTE retrofit at that time because I was still running 3G

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dgpcolorado
No change to the IC UI.
I like the old round speedometer with the power/regen graph, hope they do not dumb it down.
What kind of update do you want?

Actually there have been subtle changes to the instrument cluster it was two updates ago for me I believe.

1). The shift indicator has been moved from the lower right hand corner to the lower left hand corner right beside the battery charge indicator

2). The clock and the outside ambient temperature display are now shown in the lower right hand corner.

3). The numeric display in the center of the round speedometer uses a different font it is not smaller but the lines are thinner so it looks more crisp and then in my opinion is easier on the eyes and to read.

4). The remaining icons and warning indicators appear to be smaller than they used to be although their positions other than what I indicated remains the same but they do appear to be smaller in size.

1). The shift indicator has been moved from the lower right hand corner to the lower left hand corner right beside the battery charge indicator

For some reason this bugs me. Maybe it's just I got in the habit of looking on the right, or maybe it's because the shifting stalk is on the right, so it feels weird to look to the left. I haven't gotten used to it, yet. I did make a very deliberate effort to get into the habit of confirming I'm in the right gear, so I look at this every time I drive.

Reactions: gmo43
Actually there have been subtle changes to the instrument cluster it was two updates ago for me I believe.

2). The clock and the outside ambient temperature display are now shown in the lower right hand corner.

3). The numeric display in the center of the round speedometer uses a different font it is not smaller but the lines are thinner so it looks more crisp and then in my opinion is easier on the eyes and to read.

4). The remaining icons and warning indicators appear to be smaller than they used to be although their positions other than what I indicated remains the same but they do appear to be smaller in size.
Does anybody else think these changes are arbitrary? I'm trying to imagine a designer looking at the layout and thinking "We need to move that over there. Ooh that's much better."

Does anybody else think these changes are arbitrary? I'm trying to imagine a designer looking at the layout and thinking "We need to move that over there. Ooh that's much better."

Completely arbitrary. Change for change sake.

"We haven't changed this in a while, let's randomly mix it up a bit, and while we're at it, reduce the contrast as much as possible and generally fark with the UI".

Yup.

the thing I dislike most is the harshness of how the widgets sit in the display. Especially the square energy Stats graph.
also, they could easily add map aware speed limits to the ui because this is fleet data and map data.
thats all really. I’m still on 2020.16 so was curious.

Completely arbitrary. Change for change sake.

"We haven't changed this in a while, let's randomly mix it up a bit, and while we're at it, reduce the contrast as much as possible and generally fark with the UI".

Yup.
Geez, people buy smartphone games to chase off mind decay of aging and stay sharp. Tesla gives you for free. What’s the issue? 😇

Sometimes people just need to justify their paycheck, plus Elon needs to hype how the car is getting better every update (a Tesla marketing hype since forever ago) - the fact that it only changes every OTA, rather than getting better, is lost on most people. Good way to distract people from the fact that FSD, sold since 2016, is still nowhere near what was promised.

Remember the old days where every other generation of keyboards rotated the insert/delete block of 6 keys by 90 degrees? It was especially if you tracked one product line, like the Microsoft keyboards for example. I bet every time they rotated it, someone celebrated with a "we improved it" award. Then the next model rotated it back, another "we improved it" celebration. Rinse, lather, repeat...