Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 9/10 for Non-AP/Classic Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's an HDMI input to camera feed adapter that will let you send your phone's actual Waze signal to the top camera app now, it's additional hardware and installation but with the camera mostly on top you'll have what you want.

Thanks for the input. Do you have a link that provides more input on how this works, where you get it, etc?

I'm assuming that I then wouldn't be able to charge the phone at the same time or does the HDMI adapter contain a power line as well? I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 if it matters.

For those trying to decide whether Version 9 is now good enough to replace V8.1, some pictures of the revised app display in 2018.42.2:

Media player alone, half page:
Model S media player screen2190crop 11-1-18.jpg

Energy screen displayed above media player:
Model S energy screen2183crop 11-1-18.jpg

Rear camera above media player:
Model S rear camera screen2189crop 11-1-18.jpg

Rear camera with media player reduced to quarter size:
Model S rear camera screen2188crop 11-1-18.jpg

Be aware that V9 always displays the map plus media player as default when you turn on the car. You can then add another app, such as the rear camera, and move it up or down, as you wish. You can not display two apps over the map unless one is the media player.

For those trying to decide whether Version 9 is now good enough to replace V8.1, some pictures of the revised app display in 2018.42.2:
Media player alone, half page: View attachment 349023
Energy screen displayed above media player: View attachment 349024
Rear camera above media player: View attachment 349026
Rear camera with media player reduced to quarter size: View attachment 349025

Be aware that V9 always displays the map plus media player as default when you turn on the car. You can then add another app, such as the rear camera, and move it up or down, as you wish. You can not display two apps over the map unless one is the media player.

Very helpful and informative, however, I still would like to see a split screen with the Browser/Waze on top, Music on the bottom :cool:

Map bottom (most of the time) for me too. I could probably get used to using the map on top, but I really hate the disappearing buttons and icons.
Most of the buttons are now on the bottom. The remaining buttons on the top, such as charge app, do not disappear. The media player button is now on the bottom, as you can see from my pictures, and can be used to hide the app with a single touch. The other apps are part of the menu button on the bottom: energy, rear camera, browser, phone (I think, I've never used my phone in the car).

Most of the buttons are now on the bottom. The remaining buttons on the top, such as charge app, do not disappear. The media player button is now on the bottom, as you can see from my pictures, and can be used to hide the app with a single touch. The other apps are part of the menu button on the bottom: energy, rear camera, browser, phone (I think, I've never used my phone in the car).
But I don't need a menu button, my app icons are always there.
And the remnant of the date (last seen on the calendar icon) is completely missing in V9.

The disappearing buttons I'm referring to are the map zoom-in, zoom-out, traffic, satellite and charger buttons. Someone posted that those still disappear. When they come back, they kind of scroll back up. I don't want a "slide transition," I just want my buttons available. I know, that's a V8 complaint; but I think it applies to V9 too.

The software team at Tesla has never consulted any customers (or service center reps) or asked anyone during any of their incompetent software "development" in the last five years.

I would seriously fire *all* of them given the opportunity. They're unfit for their jobs. They've had over five years to develop a competent software development process with customer feedback, and they simply haven't. I could do better *by myself* than they are doing.

Hopefully enough FURIOUS customers will start to get it through some executive's head that there's a serious problem with the software team failing to listen to customers.
Horsepucky. With telemetrics, they can have actual data. They clearly concluded that vast majority favor map as top app. What they underestimated is the passion of the small minority who like camera always on top. When those people (you) yelled loud enough, they addressed pretty quickly. Why are you still so angry? They actually ARE tracking and responding to usage data... what you want is for them to design for your preferences.

My pet peeve is lack of USB media player function for high quality FLAC. But I know that the world is at streaming, Bluetooth, and MP3 so I’m an outlier. Hopefully they’ll get to it. But I know it’s not for lack of tracking/listening to customers.

To me, it's not an issue of whether they listened to users, not, used data to determine how many users place what apps where... it's the removal of customizing the interface. (Then putting a Band-Aid on it.)

An analogy: It's like a sub shop chain "improving" their menu by saying everybody gets a steak and cheese with peppers mushrooms and onions; because that's the most common combination. So easy, just order the sub. Then adding the option of tomatoes lettuce and ketchup because they complained the most. I used to be able to order it any way I felt any particular day.

Something else I found probably not of much significance since the browser integrated into the touchscreen has never been very useful, but now even less so. It no longer let's you know that your input has been received or that anything is taking place until the screen actually pops up or whatever action you requested happens and you can see it. The progress indicator across the menu bar is no longer there. So when you select a webpage you don't know that it's actually loading until it appears.

Horsepucky. With telemetrics, they can have actual data. They clearly concluded that vast majority favor map as top app. What they underestimated is the passion of the small minority who like camera always on top. When those people (you) yelled loud enough, they addressed pretty quickly. Why are you still so angry? They actually ARE tracking and responding to usage data... what you want is for them to design for your preferences.

My pet peeve is lack of USB media player function for high quality FLAC. But I know that the world is at streaming, Bluetooth, and MP3 so I’m an outlier. Hopefully they’ll get to it. But I know it’s not for lack of tracking/listening to customers.

It's not particularly or just the camera, It's any app! They took away the ability for me to have anything up top that I want "besides the map". I used to like to have my media player up top or whatever app I was using at the time up top because it's closer to my line of sight. removing the One Touch icons from the top of the screen along with the ability to have whatever app I want running in the top half of the screen is still a huge fail. The Band-Aid that they've given us is a fail also.

This is the first update I have received that has effectively made the interface worse than it was.

A couple of observations about V9:

• If the media player is displayed, pushing the rear camera button puts it above the media player. No need to drag it upward or otherwise fuss with it. I also found, to my surprise, that when I turned the car off with the rear camera displayed it resumed that way when I next drove the car. That's definitely new compared to the first versions of 9 and makes it a bit more like 8.1.

• When using a USB flash drive library in the media player, you can select where you want the current track to play by touching the timeline on the screen, much as you would with a computer media player. This is very helpful for audio books — if the track starts over when you enter the car you can easily skip to the approximate place where you left off with a simple touch of the screen. Or, if you want to listen to a segment over again, you can touch where you want it to begin play. I don't know if this is new, or was also possible with earlier firmware versions, but it is quite handy. This random access to a track position does NOT work with streaming, perhaps for DRM reasons.