Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 9/10 for Non-AP/Classic Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that 2018.46.2 fixed the browser and onscreen manual since those now work for me again.

The mobile access security change is interesting. As best I can tell, an unauthorized driver can't turn off mobile access now. I suppose jammers would still work, or disabling the car's cell connection somehow. However, a less sophisticated thief wouldn't easily be able to turn off mobile tracking of the car.

Release notes for 2018.46.2:

Firmware 2018.46.2crop 2196 12-5-18.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Does is still require the media player on the bottom to have the camera on top? I'm holding out until they remove that restriction. The upgrade nags that happen every time I put the car in park are getting super annoying, though! And when I have my annual service at the beginning of February, I'm afraid they are going to force V9 on me.

Does is still require the media player on the bottom to have the camera on top? I'm holding out until they remove that restriction. The upgrade nags that happen every time I put the car in park are getting super annoying, though! And when I have my annual service at the beginning of February, I'm afraid they are going to force V9 on me.

The annual service visit is about as useful as Ver 9... :cool:

The annual service visit is about as useful as Ver 9... :cool:
I like that. I was thinking about that today. But if I need an alignment though,are they going to force a V9 upgrade on me? Are there third party shops that will do an alignment on a Tesla?

I'm going to change my own cabin air intake filters. I think that's all I need to worry about. Although I might need new brake pads.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I had to get version 9 during my service, but that was only because the main screen developed bubbles and had to be replaced. If it were not for that replacement, they would have honored my request not to update.

Interesting since most times the screen has bubbles, or the yellow border, they just replace the screen and not the entire MCU... Did they actually replace the MCU or did they pull a fast one on you? (What parts are listed on your service record?

Shoot, all this time, and my car started prompting me for the OS upgrade yesterday. I thought I'd gotten away without the prompts! ;-)

My other half has the new OS on his Model X. I feel like the maps get more tedious to use each version, which is funny since they're making the map unavoidable. . . .

Have to say version 9 is not that bad for me.

This is a cut and paste of my invoice.
Remove and replace the media control unit, push updated firmware to ensure proper communication and function test to confirm concern has been rectified.
Part Quantity
MCU,MDLSX,NA PREMIUM,REMAN (1098010-00-D)
JUMPER,DH3.0 JUMPER,REAR (106910601-B)
ASSY,HARN,MDLS,JUMPER, HSD CAMERA (1127304-00-B)

Yes, at present you can only put apps above the media player or alone at the bottom of the screen.

Has anyone with a Classic Model S installed the latest release 2018.48.12.1 on their car and could share their experience with this version?

In the general thread the main topic seems to be about AP behavior which is kind of irrelevant for the older cars and I would be much more interested in things like:
  • Has "Chill Mode" been fixed and introduced again?
  • Any issues with streaming music (Spotify)?
  • Any issues with music from USB?
  • How is stability of the instrument cluster while in navigation?
  • Is "charge % on arrival" shown constantly while navigating on the big screen?
  • Is the browser working better/worse as on the latest v8.1 release?
  • Are the issues with displaying "scheduled charging" and charging amps in the APP been fixed?
  • Have the issues with "fluctuating" between Dolby Surround and Immersive Sound and persistence been fixed?
  • Other issues I haven't mentioned?

I still haven't updated and just received yet another notification about a software update (expect it to be 2018.48.12.1) and I am starting to get tempted since there now are quite a few new feature available. But seeing so many reports about bugs as well as design changes I am not too fond of and considering I am currently on a relatively stable version which works well I am still hesitant.