Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 9/10 for Non-AP/Classic Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed 48.12.1 but the release notes are blank, so I presume that it doesn't do much and Easter eggs don't interest me. A quick check of apps shows that they appear above the media player, as before, but one can't use two non media player apps at the same time.

Has anyone with a Classic Model S installed the latest release 2018.48.12.1 on their car and could share their experience with this version?

In the general thread the main topic seems to be about AP behavior which is kind of irrelevant for the older cars and I would be much more interested in things like:
  • Has "Chill Mode" been fixed and introduced again?
Can't help with that. Don't think my S60 ever had chill mode (or needed it).
•Any issues with streaming music (Spotify)?
My understanding is that we don't have Spotify in the USA. The streaming music we do have works well enough and in the same way for me as V8.1. So, can't help with this question.
•Any issues with music from USB?
USB works well for me but those who complain about it have truly gigantic music collections and/or apparently have difficulties with sorting using album or artist views, album picture displays, and the like. I converted all my files to FLAC long ago and arranged them in folders (so that a folder has a single symphony in it and it plays the movements in the correct order, for example). I then always use folder view and everything works fine. Pause works. File usually resumes when I return to the car but will sometimes start over under certain conditions. Shuffle in a particular folder works fine.

One quirk: when returning to the car the media player seems to default to radio view but it will play the same folder or streaming that I had going before. If I want to change folders I need to go through selecting USB and the drive and then the new folder that I want. Not a big deal for me. The alphabet quick access list on the right works well, so scrolling through file names isn't much needed.
•How is stability of the instrument cluster while in navigation?
Once in awhile the IC nav screen will flip (reset) briefly when the turn instructions change but it isn't a problem and doesn't interfere with using navigation at all. Otherwise it works fine.
•Is "charge % on arrival" shown constantly while navigating on the big screen?
Yes and no. Yes the percent charge at destination shows all the time, assuming that the destination is visible in the list. Under some views the destination can be hidden by a long list of turn-by-turn instructions but it is still there if one scrolls to the bottom. As is the %SOC at destination.
•Is the browser working better/worse as on the latest v8.1 release?
The browser works but I use it so rarely I can't comment on whether it is better or worse than 8.1. It seems to be the same in my limited tests. The onscreen manual also works (it didn't a couple of versions ago).
•Are the issues with displaying "scheduled charging" and charging amps in the APP been fixed?
Don't know. I just use the phone app to turn charging on or off and monitor charge level. I also use it to change the charge level (but not the rate).
•Have the issues with "fluctuating" between Dolby Surround and Immersive Sound and persistence been fixed?
So far as I know I don't have this, so I don't know.
•Other issues I haven't mentioned?
The main complaint has been that the map is always up and in the background and that you can't use two other apps unless the bottom one is the media player. You can display an app near the top of the screen if the bottom one is the media player and the latter can be adjusted in size. The browser can be expanded to almost full screen (more than three quarters). People who don't want to drive with the map or media player on display are quite upset. There are some complaints that the climate control manual control buttons are less capable and harder to use. I agree, but I nearly always use climate control on auto and turn it on or off, and adjust temperature, from the right steering wheel knob so it doesn't matter much for me.
I still haven't updated and just received yet another notification about a software update (expect it to be 2018.48.12.1) and I am starting to get tempted since there now are quite a few new feature available. But seeing so many reports about bugs as well as design changes I am not too fond of and considering I am currently on a relatively stable version which works well I am still hesitant.
In general, the early bugs have been fixed. However, the ability to control which apps are on display is more limited than in 8.1 and I presume that this was done to make the display more like the Model 3 for software simplification purposes. Whether or not it is a big step backward depends somewhat on which apps one normally chooses to use. For me, the apps I want are available when and where I want them, so it works fine for me. Others differ.

Hope that helps. It is a complex topic.

Reactions: murse
Has anyone with a Classic Model S installed the latest release 2018.48.12.1 on their car and could share their experience with this version?

In the general thread the main topic seems to be about AP behavior which is kind of irrelevant for the older cars and I would be much more interested in things like:
  • Has "Chill Mode" been fixed and introduced again?
  • Any issues with streaming music (Spotify)?
  • Any issues with music from USB?
  • How is stability of the instrument cluster while in navigation?
  • Is "charge % on arrival" shown constantly while navigating on the big screen?
  • Is the browser working better/worse as on the latest v8.1 release?
  • Are the issues with displaying "scheduled charging" and charging amps in the APP been fixed?
  • Have the issues with "fluctuating" between Dolby Surround and Immersive Sound and persistence been fixed?
  • Other issues I haven't mentioned?

I still haven't updated and just received yet another notification about a software update (expect it to be 2018.48.12.1) and I am starting to get tempted since there now are quite a few new feature available. But seeing so many reports about bugs as well as design changes I am not too fond of and considering I am currently on a relatively stable version which works well I am still hesitant.
I updated to 2018.48.12.1 yesterday. I can answer some of your questions:
  • No Chill Mode on my car
  • Don't have Spotify, but no new issues with streaming
  • Same issues as before with USB music - slow to load new tracks or sometimes loading errors
  • Same issue on the instrument cluster with the map spinning sometimes when stopping and starting
  • Charge % on arrival shows, but it always worked for me
  • Haven't tried the browser on this version; it worked fine on 2018.46.2
  • The app shows "Charging Scheduled" when appropriate. This was fixed in the previous firmware version
  • I don't have premium audio and don't know about the Dolby/Immersive issue.
  • No other new issues seen so far

I updated to 2018.48.12.1 yesterday. I can answer some of your questions:
  • No Chill Mode on my car
  • Don't have Spotify, but no new issues with streaming
  • Same issues as before with USB music - slow to load new tracks or sometimes loading errors
  • Same issue on the instrument cluster with the map spinning sometimes when stopping and starting
  • Charge % on arrival shows, but it always worked for me
  • Haven't tried the browser on this version; it worked fine on 2018.46.2
  • The app shows "Charging Scheduled" when appropriate. This was fixed in the previous firmware version
  • I don't have premium audio and don't know about the Dolby/Immersive issue.
  • No other new issues seen so far
No Chill mode here either.
One annoying stutter during Slacker streaming but it was in a known poor 3G reception area.
I get the spinning maps too. Rather annoying.
I have the 3.8 version of the app. Charging Schefuled displays correctly. Remote seat heaters work and nearby Superchargers show as do Destination chargers.
Didn’t check Dolby, USB music, or the browser.
Climate Control in-car is still a cluster of firetrucks. After turning off defrost it still doesn’t go back to original settings. Individual automatic controls for active outlets, fan speed, a/c, and recirculation are still missing. Climate control is the main regret I have with the V9 upgrade.

Anyone else experiencing lukewarm preheating with version 9? My car used to preheat so nice and toasty it would melt the snow off the windows. Now, it’s extremely tepid when I get in and only then do the fans and heat really start to kick and warm things up. The whole point is for it to be warm when I get in, just curious if others are experiencing this?

Since the update, the temp set at 21C (70F) doesn't seem comfortable anymore. Outdoor temperatures are/were just below freezing (-5C-0C). I used to drive without a jacket and now I always need one. I tried going up 25C, even to HI and not much difference.
The preheating works well (first winter for me though) but on the road the temp drops for some reason.

I have the car in for service for the steering bolts recall. Since is out of warranty they want to charge for diagnostic the HVAC system. It's is fair if it's not caused by the firmware update. I didn't have this issue before however, it could also be a coincidence.

Did you guys notice similar behavior?

ps. I got a loaner P100D. Mine is a Signature P85. Too bad it's been snowing since I got it yesterday and I cannot really try the AP and the ludicrous mode :(

I also still haven't made the jump to v9. Thanks to @dgpcolorado, @Peter_M and @BigNick for providing feedback to some of my questions back in December.
Some time ago, when the latest version of the APP has been released (I believe it was early January) I noticed some functions stopped working:
  • No "charging completed" notification
  • Preheating does no longer defrost rear and front windows at lower temperatures
I saw some other threads where this is mentioned by other owners. Does any of you (whether still on v8.1 or already on v9) experience this? Did any of you resolve these?
Some suggestions were to reinstall the APP (no effect for me). Reboot of the MCU did not help (I haven't tried one of the deeper reboot methods yet).
From what I see, this does not seem to be a problem of the car firmware (as also v9 users are affected) and I don't think it is the APP. I still have my pervious iPhone with the APP version 3.5.3 installed and experience the same issues there. So, indications point towards the mothership.

I also still haven't made the jump to v9. Thanks to @dgpcolorado, @Peter_M and @BigNick for providing feedback to some of my questions back in December.
Some time ago, when the latest version of the APP has been released (I believe it was early January) I noticed some functions stopped working:
  • No "charging completed" notification
  • Preheating does no longer defrost rear and front windows at lower temperatures
I saw some other threads where this is mentioned by other owners. Does any of you (whether still on v8.1 or already on v9) experience this? Did any of you resolve these?
Some suggestions were to reinstall the APP (no effect for me). Reboot of the MCU did not help (I haven't tried one of the deeper reboot methods yet).
From what I see, this does not seem to be a problem of the car firmware (as also v9 users are affected) and I don't think it is the APP. I still have my pervious iPhone with the APP version 3.5.3 installed and experience the same issues there. So, indications point towards the mothership.

issue of no notification for charge complete is a server side one, as for preheating I have no issues at all with defrost on version 2018.36.2, nice and toasty warm when I get to the car, everything melted off.

Well, yes; the preheating itself works just fine. No problems there.
However, in the not so distant past (arount Christmas), the car also used to turn on defrost of rear and front windows in low outside temperatures. This was shown in the app by either the defrost symbol (and text) and in the latest APP version showing the rear and front windows in redish color.
This defrosting is now missing (not shown at least).