Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 9/10 for Non-AP/Classic Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure when this changed but I noticed lately using cruise control on my classic S 60 that it drifts +/- 1 mph from the set speed. It lends itself to smoother driving than what I remember where it would hold the speed right at the setting. Or maybe I'm just imagining it lol.

I'm not sure when this changed but I noticed lately using cruise control on my classic S 60 that it drifts +/- 1 mph from the set speed. It lends itself to smoother driving than what I remember where it would hold the speed right at the setting. Or maybe I'm just imagining it lol.
I've noticed this on my AP 2.5 X100D, so it's not just a classic car thing.

Reactions: nativespinner
Received 2019.32.12.7 two days ago. Release notes are the same as the ones posted earlier, so it is likely bug fixes.

One oddball change: it took several minutes for my car to start — the usual message in the IC about waiting for the car to be able to start. It generally takes thirty seconds or less when I see that message so I don't pay it much attention. I tried rebooting the MCU but the car finally started before the MCU had come back to life. The long delay to start didn't happen the next two times I started the car so I presume it was a one-time thing having to do with the update. Or it could have been a coincidence.

Release notes for 2019.36.2.1:

Firmware 2019.36.2.1crop 2319 11-20-19.JPG

The new charging timer screen:

New charging timer screen 2321crop 11-20-19.jpg

Warning for those who have not switched to V10 and who use an extra set of wheels for snow tires: Do NOT install V10 updates — it removes the TPMS reset button that is required when swapping wheels and TPMS sensors. This means that a TPMS error message will appear on the dash pretty much all the time and the TPMS system won't work.

This bug affects older cars (built before 10/14, I think) that use the Version 1 Baolong TPMS system. When swapping wheels and sensors, the system needs to be reset to recognize the new set of sensor serial numbers. This was done by pushing the reset button located in the car menus. [The version 2 Continental TPMS system resets automatically, which is likely why Tesla didn't care that it removed the old reset button.]

Thus far Tesla has not fixed this bug and it is causing havoc for those of us who use an extra set of wheels/sensors for snow tires on our older cars.

For more discussion of this problem:

TPMS reset on V10

Numerous reports and several threads have suggested that 2019.40.2.1 (or perhaps the previous update) eliminated regen for cool batteries. I can verify that this happened since I saw zero regen (IC message that no regen was available) on a battery that was at about 1-4ºC (34-40ºF) with less than a 50% charge. Since this is my fourth winter in my car I can say that zero regen did not happen with a cool, but not very cold, battery prior to the recent software updates. The regen profile for my cold weather drives from home is now quite different from previous winters. If this change was made to protect the battery from plating when charging while cold, I don't have a problem with the change but it would be nice to have it specified in the release notes.

It has also been reported that preconditioning the car no longer turns on the battery heater, as it used to do, although it is unclear when this feature was removed. This leaves charging right before a trip as the only practical way to warm up the battery in cold weather to have some regen when beginning to drive.

There is at least one report that the regen profile has been modified again by 2019.40.2.3 to return some regen on a cool battery. This seems to be the case for my car. When I checked my car on 2019.40.2.3 after it had been cold-soaked in a 2ºC garage, it did have a small amount of regen present instead of the zero I saw with 2019.40.2.1. Too soon to say if this is real or not, however.

By the way, here is a picture of the battery heater at work:
Model S battery heater on2323crop 12-18-19.jpg

^ Car is in neutral, 5.6 miles into a hilly trip (up, then down), with the battery at 44% and HVAC off. Regen has increased from zero to about 12 kW. (I see this frequently in cold weather when I shift to neutral near the bottom of my steep hill to coast the next mile, when no other cars are present, as is usually the case.)

Release notes for software 2020.4.1:

Software 2020.4.1 2328crop 2-1-20.jpg

Software 2020.4.1 2329crop 2-1-20.jpg

Software 2020.4.1 2330crop 2-1-20.jpg

For me the voice commands were a bust. No voice commands worked on my LTE MCU1. I could get only a few words recognized but not a complete phrase. Even old commands, such as "navigate to [city]" no longer work. I last used voice commands in November on a road trip so I can't say if the failure is definitely related to this software update.

It may be that the new software can no longer run voice commands on the MCU1 processor. Another possibility is that the Tesla server was having issues. If others with older software can still use voice commands it would suggest the former hypothesis.

If I've permanently lost voice commands it would be yet another example of Tesla breaking my classic S software.

FWIW.

For me the voice commands were a bust. No voice commands worked on my LTE MCU1. I could get only a few words recognized but not a complete phrase. Even old commands, such as "navigate to [city]" no longer work. I last used voice commands in November on a road trip so I can't say if the failure is definitely related to this software update.

It may be that the new software can no longer run voice commands on the MCU1 processor. Another possibility is that the Tesla server was having issues. If others with older software can still use voice commands it would suggest the former hypothesis. If I've permanently lost voice commands it would be yet another example of Tesla breaking my classic S software. FWIW.

I am able to use and recognize about 80% of the new voice commands with AP1 MCU1.

• Informative
Reactions: dgpcolorado

View attachment 506881
View attachment 506878
View attachment 506880

It may be that the new software can no longer run voice commands on the MCU1 processor. Another possibility is that the Tesla server was having issues. If others with older software can still use voice commands it would suggest the former hypothesis.

If I've permanently lost voice commands it would be yet another example of Tesla breaking my classic S software.

FWIW.

Same boat here, voice commands don't work at all since update, MCU1 3G...Also, incoming text messages are partially obscured by the speedometer.

Same boat here, voice commands don't work at all since update, MCU1 3G...Also, incoming text messages are partially obscured by the speedometer.
Voice commands mostly non-functional here too. My command is heard and parsed correctly, but nothing happens. The only thing that seems to work is setting the AC temp. Old commands like playing music or navigating are broken.

Voice commands mostly non-functional here too. My command is heard and parsed correctly, but nothing happens. The only thing that seems to work is setting the AC temp. Old commands like playing music or navigating are broken.
All other cars deteriorate slowly due hardware getting old and dying. Tesla's deteriorate with each OTA software update.

Warning for those who have not switched to V10 and who use an extra set of wheels for snow tires: Do NOT install V10 updates — it removes the TPMS reset button that is required when swapping wheels and TPMS sensors. This means that a TPMS error message will appear on the dash pretty much all the time and the TPMS system won't work.

This bug affects older cars (built before 10/14, I think) that use the Version 1 Baolong TPMS system. When swapping wheels and sensors, the system needs to be reset to recognize the new set of sensor serial numbers. This was done by pushing the reset button located in the car menus. [The version 2 Continental TPMS system resets automatically, which is likely why Tesla didn't care that it removed the old reset button.]

Thus far Tesla has not fixed this bug and it is causing havoc for those of us who use an extra set of wheels/sensors for snow tires on our older cars.

For more discussion of this problem:

TPMS reset on V10
Some really good news for those of us who use extra wheels and have the old Baolong TPMS system: Software 2020.4.1 returns the TPMS reset button!

TPMS reset button 2332crop 2-6-20.jpg

TPMS reset OK 2331crop 2-6-20.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr

FWIW.
I was wrong about voice commands. It turns out that the old-school "press button and hold while talking" technique no longer works with 2019.4.1. However, "press button and release, then talk" works fine. All my voice commands are back, including the new ones: "show rear camera," "hide rear camera," "defroster on," "defroster off," and so forth. Couldn't get "climate control off" to work but I'll play with that a bit more.

"Press button and release, then talk" is much better so I can see why Tesla made the change.

• Love
Reactions: Missile Toad