TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Software Version 9 for Non-AP/Classic Cars

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dgpcolorado, Sep 28, 2018.

1. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

#1 dgpcolorado, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2018
    Moderator note (bmah): Consolidating two threads on similar/same topics.

As suggested in the other thread, we need a V9 thread.

I don't have V9 yet but would like to know more about how it affects classics, if anyone has installed it already. I presume that the V9 focus will be on AP but it may have significant changes for our older cars, both good and bad. As usual.

• Like x 3
  2. gmo43

gmo43 Member

I hear it's mostly cosmetic and mobile app feature to push updates via app.

3. gmo43

gmo43 Member

Definitely going to wait so would like to see a review when someone gets it. Or atleat pictures.

4. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Classic S vehicles should see the new UI style plus benefit from the ability to use your smartphone for setting a navigation route and then transferring it to the onboard nav software.

And hopefully this release will fix the media player bugs introduced in the last major release, version 8, two years ago...

• Like x 1
  5. dgpcolorado

#5 dgpcolorado, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    From Electrek:

Tesla Version 9.0: all new features based on your Model 3, Model S, or Model X generation

6. MartinAustin

MartinAustin I Do Not Read Electrek

I spoke to an autopilot hardware engineer (one from the Jim Keller team) on Sunday September 30th. He said there was another revision of the navigation system that comes with V9, and my car will get that.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. LectrikPower

LectrikPower Member

Did he give you any details? I'm looking at a 2015 CPO and am curious about any autopilot updates.

8. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

For a 2015 CPO, assuming it has AP1 hardware, it's unlikely V9 will add any new AP features. Tesla's focus is on implementing the additional features for EAP/FSD with the AP2.x hardware.

At best AP1 owners may see some small improvements, as Tesla corrects problems in the AP software. But as far as new features, without the additional sensors and dedicated AP processor, the AP1 vehicles have reached their peak on AP functionality.

9. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

• Like x 4
  10. dgpcolorado

I presume that others got the email outlining a few changes in Version 9 — if not:

Tesla's description of Version 9 ("Full Details"):

Discover Software Version 9.0

I'm almost afraid to turn on my car in case it has the firmware update notice. Do I risk it or not? I really like the way nav and the screen works now. However, I can adapt to a new way of doing things if I must, so I guess I'll make the switch to Version 9 and begin the learning curve. Reading the link above makes me think that there are some helpful improvements to the screen interface.

Edit: As expected, I did have the new firmware notice. Installing now...

11. gmo43

gmo43 Member

What year is your car?

12. dgpcolorado

May 2014 build S60. No AP or anything fancy like that, although I do have navigation and use it a lot on road trips. (I find the usual firmware threads irritating since they quickly devolve into page after page of technical discussions about AP, which doesn't interest me in the slightest, having a classic Model S.)

Version 9 actually has a lot of changes that affect classics since the entire screen presentation has been reworked.

• Like x 1
  13. dgpcolorado

Release notes for V9 2018.39.6:
    Firmware 2018.39.6 2131crop 10-6-18.jpg Firmware 2018.39.6 2132crop 10-6-18.jpg Firmware 2018.39.6 2133crop 10-6-18.jpg Firmware 2018.39.6 2134crop 10-6-18.jpg

• Informative x 1
  14. Hojo

Hojo Member

What, if any, are the benefits?

15. Chancellor32

Chancellor32 Member

Chill mode, speed limit set through car, nav through phone, media through phone, Atari games, updated UI, fast response from MCU. That’s all the things I have noticed on mine

16. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member

Non-AP cars can't get the dashcam feature, or the blind spot detection or any AP features like the upcoming "navigate by autopilot". So that does not leave much left. They would get the UI changes.

17. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Redesigned MCU user interface.

18. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Active Member

.... which is a mixed blessing. Other posters don't like only one window overlaid on Map (so choose media OR backup camera) for example.

19. emulsifide

emulsifide Member

Is Chill Mode actually working for you? I don't feel a difference driving my '13 P85 with it enabled.

20. skhenry81

skhenry81 Member