Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 9/10 for Non-AP/Classic Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for testing this. Unfortunately the result is rather disappointing.

I was hoping someone with a P85 could test if Chill Mode does have any affect on power output and throttle response.

One would think it would be easy to apply the "Valet Mode" power and throttle profile to "Chill Mode" just without the speed limit (and the other restrictions of course) from a programming perspective.

I've been upgraded to 39.7, will have to re-check. Probably no change, but won't be able to verify just yet.

I've been upgraded to 39.7, will have to re-check. Probably no change, but won't be able to verify just yet.

Interesting, after tesla got my feedback and pulled the update from my car I got another one last night that I am also not installing, I am guessing it must be that 39.7 one. I am not updating from 8.1 untill I see these UI muck ups have been fixed so it is disappointing to hear .7 has no notable changes from .6 but I am sure the initial v9 was full of bugs so makes sence to have a fast fixit update right after.

Interesting, after tesla got my feedback and pulled the update from my car I got another one last night that I am also not installing, I am guessing it must be that 39.7 one. I am not updating from 8.1 untill I see these UI muck ups have been fixed so it is disappointing to hear .7 has no notable changes from .6 but I am sure the initial v9 was full of bugs so makes sence to have a fast fixit update right after.
How do I make sure the care doesn’t update? I closed the update window, but there is no skip this update message?

One subtle thing I noticed today while supercharging is the green charge graphic is no longer lined up with the battery graphic on the display. It’s off center (up/down). Maybe they are trying to make it look like the charge area is floating above the battery?
This might be the same for everyone but posting here as I’m in my classic P85+ at the moment.

EB426EE6-AFFB-448E-BBFA-B3263A2D6E4F.jpeg

/Edit Also I did notice the turn signal indicators on the main screen are different now. More pronounced when activated and they are green. I think they were white before.

Somehow missed the buzz about the update and just blindly scheduled it for last night. Noticed something was wrong with the camera this morning, but wasn’t going far so didn’t spend time trying to fix it.

On hold waiting for a service appt. Hold time was almost an hour, only 15 minutes to go but it looks like there is no way for us to downgrade ourselves. Imagine service is getting a lot of reimage the car to factory basic and reupgrade to 8.1 calls right now.

Reactions: Fiver
I told her what I wanted and told her I am ok forgoing all future upgrades as it is a safety issue to not have the camera on top.

I have an apptmt for 12 days for now, although it is not a thing they want to do.
Will need to try to be extra vigilant when changing lanes in the meantime as I’ve trained myself to glance at the camera on top.

Still haven't got the v9 update... even though the reviews seem to be less than stellar I feel left out.
You and me both. No V9 for me either. Though like you say from what I'm seeing of those that do have it I think I'm going to be less than impressed. It seems to take away functionality making my Center screen less capable and customizable.

You are not missing anything... many people are holding off on the installation until the bugs are fixed :cool:

Got my car back from its 50K service this morning. Had a P85D loaner for a day. Chill mode is DEFINITELY less power than the standard 85. Insane is insane of course.

However with 39.7, Chill mode is gone from the options on my 85. Instead of making it work, they just removed it.

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
Been living with V9 for a few days now and it's official. It's definitely not my thing.

I think my biggest difficulty is that it now takes two presses to get to any app and the access is at the very bottom of the screen as opposed to across the top which was closer to my line of sight where they could be opened and immediately moved to top or bottom buy a long press on the icon and a quick swipe. this may work well on Model 3 where the screen is closer to your windshield line of sight, but in an S that little tiny app button is all the way down by my right knee, and is much smaller....

Then once you do finally get it open nothing can be moved to the top of the screen which is a huge fail. and there is no ability to have two apps on the screen this is definitely a downgrade hopefully it can be fixed at some point with an update.

Having navigation maps hogging up the screen at all times seems to be ridiculous in a Model S because when you're actually using NAV it also appears in the left side of the instrument cluster freeing up the center screen real estate to do other things.

This may be a newsflash to Tesla software designers but for my weekly commute and driving around in my hometown in areas that I use my car most of the time I actually know where I'm going and don't need to have NAV hogging up my Center screen

I wish they had put as much thought into how this system would work on a Model S Center screen as they did in to integrating those Stone Age Atari games that are useless.

Not to be all doom and gloom it does seem to work well and it does far at least it's been bug-free and hasn't introduced any weird glitches that I've noticed anyway but it certainly is not very user-friendly in a Model S IMHO.

Last edited:
That’s what I feard. The inclusion of Chill Mode was apparently an oversight (bug) and now it has been removed.

Have you still got the speed limit feature at least?

I tested it on the commute today. Speed limit feature is still there snd it works.

So if the pre-AP RWD cars can have the power limited after a specific speed is reached, then it should be possible for Chill mode to be implemented as well.

Reactions: mambro
So if the pre-AP RWD cars can have the power limited after a specific speed is reached, then it should be possible for Chill mode to be implemented as well.

That should definitely be possible. In principle, the “Chill Mode” power map has already been implemented several years ago and is commonly known as “Valet Mode” which, apart from reducing power, also reduces the functionality and access to the car in other areas.
It should be relatively easy to implement a simple button that enables the power map to be switched to the one from “Valet Mode” without all the other restrictions.
I guess this comes down to be a priority issue, where programming priorities are in other areas, for newer cars.

At least the speed limit feature is available...

Reactions: mambro