Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 9/10 for Non-AP/Classic Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP is an option. So while he may have the option to purchase it, it's not a given the car has it. I'm unsure if they are making blindspot detection available without AP.

As long as your car has the AP2, or AP2.5, hardware V9 should give you blind spot detection. And I think AP2 started coming in cars in October 2016 so you should have it.

As far as we know yes it does. (If you have the hardware.)

Another V9 fail. M/S used to have the day and the date displayed on the instrument cluster then the day went away and I just had the date displayed on the calendar icon on the touch screen now after version 9 I have nothing only the time the date is no longer anywhere to be found unless you manually open the Calendar app if you have your phone connected.

How difficult can it be to have the day and date show up on one of the two screens somewhere?

Happy again.

Took 2018.42.2 this morning.

Backup camera now defaults to the top position again.

It is about 1 1/2 inches lower than when backing up, but I appreciate Tesla management, service, legal, and engineering pushing this important fix.

You also appear to be able to put it away by dragging down and drag it up to the lower position if you prefer it there or continue up to my preferred higher position with the media underneath There is also a middle position with the smaller media window below.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Well then the problem hasn't been solved then. I like to have my media player on top sometimes sometimes energy sometimes anything on top. The fact that my car is now handcuffed is not much of a upgrade. Was this level of blowback it makes me wonder if the people at Tesla even asked anyone or consulted any customers in the development of this mess.

The software team at Tesla has never consulted any customers (or service center reps) or asked anyone during any of their incompetent software "development" in the last five years.

I would seriously fire *all* of them given the opportunity. They're unfit for their jobs. They've had over five years to develop a competent software development process with customer feedback, and they simply haven't. I could do better *by myself* than they are doing.

Hopefully enough FURIOUS customers will start to get it through some executive's head that there's a serious problem with the software team failing to listen to customers.

It is about 1 1/2 inches lower than when backing up,

They had to leave that 1.5" of useless map wallpaper at the top for some inexplicable reason. It's useless, pointless, and ridiculous because you can't see anything on it but there's a sliver of map because they really want to say people are OK with always having a map on top at all times.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
It's much lower than the old ribbon, it looks like they intentionally lowered it enough to give the map just enough space to show the navigate slider on the left, the arrow, and below the arrow the box that says what street and city you are in. I'd actually love the additional buffer there if it also added useful information like the missing day / date and possibly the current speed limit that they're still hiding from our IC display even though every pre-AP car has that data.

As discussed above, the latest firmware restores the ability to show an app in the top half of the screen, albeit not at the very top and not with any other app besides the media player at the bottom. It appears that Tesla heard the criticism of the initial Version 9 release even if they did not restore the complete functionality of 8.1. It should suit more users now.

Release notes for 2018.42.2:

Firmware 2018.42.2 2182crop 10-31-18.jpg

On another topic besides the ever-popular screen view controversy, I have read that one can now limit passive entry to the car by turning it off (so that relay hacks won't work). However, when I tried to do that, the button was greyed out, so I presume that the option isn't available on older cars. The PIN-to-drive security feature is active. Perhaps one has to implement PIN-to-drive for the passive entry button to be turned on — I didn't try that.

Last edited:
As discussed above, the latest firmware restores the ability to show an app in the top half of the screen, albeit not at the very top and not with any other app besides the media player at the bottom. It appears that Tesla heard the criticism of the initial Version 9 release even if they did not restore the complete functionality of 8.1. It should suit more users now.

Release notes for 2018.42.2:

View attachment 348664

Unfortunately, the browser is not included in the list of apps that can be placed above the media player. I use this to show Tesla Waze as many others do and now it is either this OR the media app. The goofy two finger slide trick is helpful but it doesn't stick

I sent a warranty claim on this to NA Service as I believe they broke functionality that was previously working. They got back to me yesterday mentioning the 42.2 updates so at least they are listening. I responded again today that they haven't fixed this for the browser and there is still not enough flexibility is size and placement of these windows to meet everyone's needs (e.g. what if I want the browser and the camera).

Everyone, please continue to email NA Service until they get this right.