Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software version that disables radar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sticking with 20.8 as well. Follow distance 1 is bad enough in slow traffic I don't want to be further back.
I really feel like its been getting worse and worse the last 6 months. It used to be quite agressive with closing the gap, now it'll slow down by 15 mph and have a 20 car gap if you dont nanny it... I'm assuming they did it to reduce phantom breaking.

I wish I knew vision was just being forced on us all and they were just turning off radar. I mean I bought the car with functioning radar why are they just turning it off? Why I can't I turn it back on? I own the car and the hardware and I'm confused why a private company thinks it has the right to reach into my vehicle and turn off something that's working perfectly well. What's next, they going to just turn off my airbags, seat heaters etc. where does this type of overreach end?

I'm on 2022.24.8 and it is absolute, total and utter $hit with AP on now. You can't control your highbeams, can't control wipers and they seem to be set to max speed at all times, yes you can slow them down but can't turn it off. I drove through a swarm of insects (I'm in Florida) and the wipers went nuts trying to clean the glass which just smeared almost blinding me. Wipers also randomly go nuts on clear days with no rain. Just dry wipers dragging back and forth on the window for absolutely no fcukin reason whatsoever unless you turn off AP. Radar no longer works, I can't see the car in front of my car anymore and AP is basically junk unless your ok giving up your ability as the driver to control your wipers and lights because I assume the software is supposed to know better? First accident caused by this junk I hope Tesla are held liable. I am beyond pissed at this so called update and there's nothing I can do about it apparently.

I wish I knew vision was just being forced on us all and they were just turning off radar. I mean I bought the car with functioning radar why are they just turning it off? Why I can't I turn it back on? I own the car and the hardware and I'm confused why a private company thinks it has the right to reach into my vehicle and turn off something that's working perfectly well. What's next, they going to just turn off my airbags, seat heaters etc. where does this type of overreach end?

I'm on 2022.24.8 and it is absolute, total and utter $hit with AP on now. You can't control your highbeams, can't control wipers and they seem to be set to max speed at all times, yes you can slow them down but can't turn it off. I drove through a swarm of insects (I'm in Florida) and the wipers went nuts trying to clean the glass which just smeared almost blinding me. Wipers also randomly go nuts on clear days with no rain. Just dry wipers dragging back and forth on the window for absolutely no fcukin reason whatsoever unless you turn off AP. Radar no longer works, I can't see the car in front of my car anymore and AP is basically junk unless your ok giving up your ability as the driver to control your wipers and lights because I assume the software is supposed to know better? First accident caused by this junk I hope Tesla are held liable. I am beyond pissed at this so called update and there's nothing I can do about it apparently.
Honesty... would you trust a camera smeared in bug guts to drive you? Best to have taken over regardless.

I'm fully expecting accidents that end in bodily harm or death while the nueural net pukes on freak corner cases that even radar wouldn't have helped in. Only difference is the high beams and auto wipers wouldnt have aided in the crash...

Last edited:
I own the car and the hardware and I'm confused why a private company thinks it has the right to reach into my vehicle and turn off something that's working perfectly well.
But they didn't do that. Your car reached out to their servers and saw a new version was available and downloaded it. It then offered the upgrade to you and you accepted and installed it...

Can we start a list of things we lose when radar is disabled (2022.20.9)?
So far I have:
  1. AP max speed 85mph (down from 90mph).
  2. AP min follow distance is level 2 (up from level 1).
  3. High beams must be on Auto (cannot be disabled). Can they be force-enabled manually? (outside of temporary pull-to-flash).
  4. Wipers must be on Auto (cannot be disabled).
2022.20.9 has been nagging me for an install for the last few weeks and I need to be reminded to resist the urge.

Can we start a list of things we lose when radar is disabled (2022.20.9)?
So far I have:
  1. AP max speed 85mph (down from 90mph).
  2. AP min follow distance is level 2 (up from level 1).
  3. High beams must be on Auto (cannot be disabled). Can they be force-enabled manually? (outside of temporary pull-to-flash).
This is not quite correct. You can turn off auto high beams by pushing the stalk forward and releasing. The next time you engage AP however, it will turn on again.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla
  1. Wipers must be on Auto (cannot be disabled).
2022.20.9 has been nagging me for an install for the last few weeks and I need to be reminded to resist the urge.

This is not quite correct. Doing that turns off high beams all together, it does not turn off auto high beams. (You can't actually turn on high beams when using AP.)
The point is high beams (auto or otherwise) can be disabled (although only for the given AP activation).

What you point out is the second part of the question. It can be force enabled only while pulling the stalk (not on permanently).

You can disable and reenable AP however to put it back to auto high beam. This is according to others, I don't have the latest update yet.
Auto High Beam making Autosteer unusable

I'm on the version right before that, 2022.20.8 on my Model Y. I'm going to stay on this version forever, until Elon gives me FSD I paid for 2 years ago.
At that point, radar needs to be disabled for FSD anyway (Tesla Vision), so there's no choice but to upgrade and disable radar.

View attachment 848739
Elon Musk must have personally heard my complaint, because my car was just pushed 2022.20.17, which includes FSD Beta 10.69.2.2. :eek:
RIP radar 📡, manual high beams 🔦, wipers off ☔...

20220920_005022.jpg

Hello FSD!

20220920_004514.jpg

Last edited:
The thing is, FSD Beta has always been "opt-in". TeslaVision was also opt-in at purchase. You had to confirm you were accepting a car without radar. To some people, that was a deal breaker. Personally, I chose existing inventory once I saw that screen to ensure I got a radar vehicle. I even have an email chain with Tesla discussing it before purchase.

Admittedly, this was back when IIHS stripped Tesla of its safety rating, AP was limited to 75mph, and smart summons was deactivated.

They've made strides over the past 18mo, but they're still not on par with what radar does. I wish there was a way to opt out of TV but continue to get updates. 2022.24 fixed the 2 gripes I had with position of navigation directions and camera repeaters.

I didn't know how horrible the high beam thing was (you can't force them on???), I really care about the following distance in stop and go traffic because that's where AP is useful for me and "2" invites significantly more cut ins in the DC area. But hearing about highbeams is putting an even more sour taste in my mouth. Sure you can learn to live with it and jiggle the stalk everyvtime you put on AP, just like you can learn to jiggle the handle in the toilet doesn't flush. I just wish I didn't have to.