Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software version that disables radar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MY-Y

Mar 4, 2020
MD
Once someone with radar gets a software update that disables their radar, please share with the group.

I suspect an easy way to tell is that the max AP speed will drop to 75. Just scroll the speed up and see if it stops at 90 (radar) or 75 (no radar).

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the notification that 2021.4.18.3 is available.

Anyone know for sure if the radar is still enabled with that version (e.g. max AP speed is still 90)?

Anyone know if the AP still behaves when the cabin camera is blocked?

You will most likely need to sign a consent form taking on all risk of a future radar deactivated SW release. The same form will legally obsolve Tesla and all parties of any liabilities, and you'll sign away your rights to participate in any class action lawsuits.

Similar to the form current radar-less MY owners are signing to take ownership. I'm sure their SAs are telling them it's just informational, and letting them know the car doesnt have radar.

Reactions: linux-works
You will most likely need to sign a consent form taking on all risk of a future radar deactivated SW release. The same form will legally obsolve Tesla and all parties of any liabilities, and you'll sign away your rights to participate in any class action lawsuits.

Similar to the form current radar-less MY owners are signing to take ownership. I'm sure their SAs are telling them it's just informational, and letting them know the car doesnt have radar.

You mean the same consent forum people agree to when they turn on autopilot in the car, and agree to the arbitration clause when they buy any tesla vehicle, tesla vision only or otherwise?

Reactions: outdoors
(Sorry for the typo in the title. It appears there's no way to edit that.) 🤨

If you report your 1st post in the thread and ask for a mod for this section to change / correct the thread title, they can do it for you. I dont have mod rights to this section or I would fix it for you myself.

You are correct that there is no way for you to fix it yourself.

On thread topic, its likely that we would get some sort of notice, if and when they disable radar for cars that currently have it enabled.

They also likely wont do that until there is feature parity between the two, so you should be free to install any software update until you start reading people with tesla vision only vehicles saying "Hey, they removed all the restrictions and my car works the exact same as my buddies / friends / etc that has radar!"

I would hope Tesla would be forthcoming and announce this in any future SW update.
If they dont have any restrictions and there is "feature parity" between the "cars with radar" and "cars without radar", there would be no need for them to announce it. Of course, we would find out fairly quickly anyway, as people dig into it, but from Teslas point of view, if they have feature parity and disable it for everyone, they dont need to say anything.

Thats why I said that anyone concerned about this, with a car that has radar already, should feel free to install any software version until they hear / read / see that "Tesla Vision equipped cars now have full feature parity with non Tesla Vision equipped cars".

You mean the same consent forum people agree to when they turn on autopilot in the car, and agree to the arbitration clause when they buy any tesla vehicle, tesla vision only or otherwise?
Disabling a safety feature creates a grey area, where Tesla has modified the car since purchase.

A safety feature that is (or would have been) active, regardless of auto pilot or cruise control.

I do wonder what will happen when enough people refuse to update, I know I won't.

Disabling a safety feature creates a grey area, where Tesla has modified the car since purchase.

A safety feature that is (or would have been) active, regardless of auto pilot or cruise control.

I do wonder what will happen when enough people refuse to update, I know I won't.

Radar is only used in autopilot and FSD, so if you are not using those, you are not using radar. What happens when you refuse to update (which is your choice) depends on if you need to go in for any sort of warranty service. Of course, you are welcome to take them to arbitration, unless you opted out of that within 30 days of buying the car. If you did opt out, then you could possibly try to sue them.

Page 10:

========================

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 8.16.11 PM.png

Radar is also used for Forward Collision Warning and Automatic Emergency Braking in the Model 3.

Thats right, I forgot that. Thanks for the correction.

Tesla would have to wait till the tesla vision (no radar) version is certified for those features. I seem to remember that they have to go through re certification for that for the non radar version, but it has not "failed testing" or anything yet even though those features are not certified for tesla vision cars yet.

If tesla vision doesnt pass for those features,. then tesla has a real problem.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Virginia Beach/Norfolk metro. 65 is the speed to go here.... 71 and your ass is grass.

I got a speeding ticket for doing 63 in a 55 once. They ain’t playing. You can fight it if you want to sit in court for three hours 👍
I remember an article on Jalopnik about speeding in Virginia. Long story short: never speed in Virginia, because they actually take their speed limits seriously (author ended up being in jail 3 days).
Never Speed In Virginia: Lessons From My Three Days In Jail

Thats right, I forgot that. Thanks for the correction.

Tesla would have to wait till the tesla vision (no radar) version is certified for those features. I seem to remember that they have to go through re certification for that for the non radar version, but it has not "failed testing" or anything yet even though those features are not certified for tesla vision cars yet.

If tesla vision doesnt pass for those features,. then tesla has a real problem.
They should have gotten them certified prior to launching Vision, if it was as safe or safer.

Makes those whom are prone to questioning actions from "people who've seen the data," question a lot of things.

If it was 100% ready to go, passed all non-Tesla Safety Agency authorities, passed with flying colors and scored the highest safety ratings, even above a Model 3 and Y... that would be one thing.

It didnt. Those non-Tesla Safety Agencies downgraded it, because it hadnt been tested. Tesla itself neutured several safety features to push Vision, with a promise it'll get better... we just need more data! Question everything, especial if its a car full of your less tech savvy family that had a working radar that stopped the car in time vs one that didnt have a radar, or one that was deactivated without notifying the drivers. The car won't behave the same between Vision and Radar equipped.

If Tesla was smart, they'd just let consumers decide to upgrade to the next model year... heck, if its a million times better and can toast bread, make it a paid upgrade like FSD or speed boost.

I foresee many lawsuits when real world data crashes don't match internal Tesla data.

ianal, but I am not 100% convinced they'd win (tesla) in court if they tried to deny me warranty due to NOT taking a sw update.

has this ever been challenged? the idea that if you dont 'update' something that is quite functional and 'fine for your purpose' - how can the vendor invalidate all the things in the car? that's what they are saying? they dont call out which things are invalidated, they blanket invalidate (by this language) the WHOLE CAR. that does not seem legal to me.

I'm still refusing updates. and if something is denied warranty coverage because I did not do an update, I'll see them in small claims and that will be the end of my tesla ownership forever.

they need to rethink this blanket statement. magnussen/moss would have something very serious to say about this.