Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software versions for Powerwall 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, sounds like that "Neo" gateway is not bridging the network, so you won't be able to access the Backup Gateway through it. When you connect to the TEG_XXX wireless network and browse to the .1 address of whatever IP address your device got when connecting, do you get the same result?

Out of curiosity, why did they install that black box? Is it because you didn't have a wifi network that reached to the backup gateway?

Hmm, sounds like that "Neo" gateway is not bridging the network, so you won't be able to access the Backup Gateway through it. When you connect to the TEG_XXX wireless network and browse to the .1 address of whatever IP address your device got when connecting, do you get the same result?

Out of curiosity, why did they install that black box? Is it because you didn't have a wifi network that reached to the backup gateway?
I am not sure why. They just said to connect it to my router. Ok, I was able to find the IP address by holding down on option key on my Mac then clicking the wifi icon up top. Now I can see information say as app and it say run wizard but require installer email and password.
Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 10.43.26 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 10.43.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 10.43.40 PM.png
    364.4 KB · Views: 66
Ok I got in and it is showing me this when I try and update. Powerwall is connected via Cellular it says. Won't let me connect to my Eero system. Maybe because it doesn't differentiate between 2.4 vs 5 Ghz. If I can, would it be best to set up wifi? Cellular in my area is terrible.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 10.54.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 10.54.43 PM.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 66
Ok I got in and it is showing me this when I try and update. Powerwall is connected via Cellular it says. Won't let me connect to my Eero system. Maybe because it doesn't differentiate between 2.4 vs 5 Ghz. If I can, would it be best to set up wifi? Cellular in my area is terrible.

For Eero, you the Powerwall can only connect to it's guest network (via wifi). This happens because of Euro Plus (regardless if you purchase that subscription or not). It' a known issue because of the provider of new DNS solution that evaluates every request. This is a known issue and they have no resolution at the moment. Switch it to your eero Guest network and it will work.

Note: One side effect is that you'll never be able to connect to it from your network because the Guest Network does not permit connecting from one device to another at all. You can still connect to the TEG SSID that the Powerwall Gateway broadcasts.

• Helpful
Reactions: gregsapphire
For those looking for ToU support, you'll notice

(1) The Tesla iOS app has been upgraded to support it when it arrives
(2) I've received confirmation that beginning March 1st they will start to push it out, with the plan to complete all PowerwallOS updates by March 31st.

There probably won't be any Release Notes as in past releases, but expect the web pages to show that it's available (vs Coming Soon) at the conclusion of the push at the end of March.

I hear (not confirmed) that ToU will be available to both PV and non PV users.

For non-PV, you can charge your Powerwall at Non Peak hours (11pm to 6am) and then discharge it starting 6am to 11pm with the fallback to grid once you reach your discharge limit. This is what all non PV overs have been waiting a long time for

(still waiting for conformation, but pretty confident). For PV users, you can net meter (generate using PV) during partial peak and peak hours, and then consume your Powerwall (as needed) until off-peak, and then charge the Powerwall from grid at non-peak prices (along with your multiple Tesla vehicles). In this scenario, you'll get maximum net metering credits during peak periods, and purchase back to fill your Powerwall and Tesla at non-peak credit rates.

Note: I'm in Northern California and on PG&E. This may not be valid for everyone, but from what I understand it will be for PG&E Northern California residents.

From what I understand, this may be PowerwallOS 2.0, but then could choose another version.

For PV users, you can net meter (generate using PV) during partial peak and peak hours, and then consume your Powerwall (as needed) until off-peak, and then charge the Powerwall from grid at non-peak prices (along with your multiple Tesla vehicles).

If this turns out to be true, it’d be exactly what I’m hoping for. I’m so jaded by Tesla’s broken promises that I’m not holding my breath, though.

For PV users, you can net meter (generate using PV) during partial peak and peak hours, and then consume your Powerwall (as needed) until off-peak, and then charge the Powerwall from grid at non-peak prices

Hopefully we can charge the Powerwalls from solar during off peak times. Charging from the grid will cause the ITC Federal tax credit to be reduced by the % of power used to charge that is not from solar, so for the first 5 years I want all charging to be from solar.

If this turns out to be true, it’d be exactly what I’m hoping for. I’m so jaded by Tesla’s broken promises that I’m not holding my breath, though.

From what I understand this is not a technical issue, it's more of a permission issue. Local power utilities and their interconnect agreements (not just with you but with Tesla Energy) permit and prevent Tesla from offering things time ToU.

Either way, sure it was a promise, but not one that they had full control over. They needed to offer ToU in a way that the power companies would allow based on jurisdiction.

Either way, if all goes well, March 1st through March 31st, we'll all have ToU for both PV and non PV owners (for PV owners I don't have full confirmation as of yet).

From what I understand this is not a technical issue, it's more of a permission issue. Local power utilities and their interconnect agreements (not just with you but with Tesla Energy) permit and prevent Tesla from offering things time ToU.
It's very difficult to believe this as there are other batteries on the market offering TOU support now without any of these excuses.

[...] For non-PV, you can charge your Powerwall at Non Peak hours (11pm to 6am) and then discharge it starting 6am to 11pm with the fallback to grid once you reach your discharge limit. This is what all non PV overs have been waiting a long time for

(still waiting for conformation, but pretty confident). [...]
Is it to mean that charge/discharge schedule is going to be pre-fixed? we can't manipulate it? That would be unfortunate, and not only because it may not match the tariff (EVA off-peak is up to 7am, not 6am, plus holidays), but also because capacity may not necessarily enough to cover all off-peak use, in which case tactical anticipation plays will have to happen to guarantee super-peak rates are covered. E.g., if i anticipate to have AC alone use in the area of 12kw or so during particularly hot day, i may want to start discharging closer to the maximum peak rate period to ensure maximum $ offset .

Either way, sure it was a promise, but not one that they had full control over. They needed to offer ToU in a way that the power companies would allow based on jurisdiction.

Either way, if all goes well, March 1st through March 31st, we'll all have ToU for both PV and non PV owners (for PV owners I don't have full confirmation as of yet).

I can't believe this is true as the obvious thing would be to officially say it was that, as we'd all be back to thinking how great Tesla are and calling our power companies everyday asking why they don't agree to allow it.

It's very difficult to believe this as there are other batteries on the market offering TOU support now without any of these excuses.

There are in Australia. Not batteries directly, like the PW2 doesn't control the flow, the gateway does. Have a look at repositpower.com, this product works with the PW1 but Tesla and Reposit had a bit of a "falling out" so it isn't available for the PW2.

Reposit Power Compatible Batteries
There are currently eight Reposit compatible batteries – they are available ‘pre-integrated’ from leading vendors or you can

• LG Chem Resu 6.4kWh
  • LG Chem Resu
  • LG Chem Resu HV
  • Fronius Solar Battery
  • GCL e-KwBe
  • Pylontech
  • Tesla Powerwall 1
  • Samsung All in One ESS

Last edited:

From the TOU section: "the sonnenBatterie will begin discharging power if no solar is available to meet the required loads." That doesn't sound like the more aggressive TOU that Tesla is proposing where it will discharge even if there is solar available to maximize export during the high-tariff periods. What Sonnen is doing is already achievable manually with the Powerwalls by adjusting the reserve percentage in self-consumption mode.

The Powerwall does also have an export limitation setting, so at least part of the intelligent charge management section is already implemented.

I think Tesla is trying to get to the right solution, they just have a habit of promising things that are out of their control to achieve.

From the TOU section: "the sonnenBatterie will begin discharging power if no solar is available to meet the required loads." That doesn't sound like the more aggressive TOU that Tesla is proposing where it will discharge even if there is solar available to maximize export during the high-tariff periods. What Sonnen is doing is already achievable manually with the Powerwalls by adjusting the reserve percentage in self-consumption mode.

The Powerwall does also have an export limitation setting, so at least part of the intelligent charge management section is already implemented.

I think Tesla is trying to get to the right solution, they just have a habit of promising things that are out of their control to achieve.
Okay, I don't think we need to battle over TOU implementation details on this Tesla forum, but PW "reserve" == Sonnen "backup-buffer". Discharging during TOU when no solar is available (or enough to cover loads) is the correct and more economical behavior no?