Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software versions for Powerwall 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I am now back up and running and my problem is fixed!! Here is what I learned.

So long story short, it's all working now and v1.12 seems to have a bug with the default gateway setting on the static IP Ethernet connection page - just don't set it and it will be fine.

Back to enjoying free power :)

The gateway's network UI seems flaky. I've seen reports that in order to use a static IP, you first have to get an address over DHCP because it doesn't correctly pick up the default gateway otherwise. I just configured my DHCP server with a fixed lease for the powerwall instead of using a static IP. If you have the option, you might find this more stable than using a static IP. Otherwise, you might find that it loses the default route again next time there's a software update.

The gateway's network UI seems flaky. I've seen reports that in order to use a static IP, you first have to get an address over DHCP because it doesn't correctly pick up the default gateway otherwise. I just configured my DHCP server with a fixed lease for the powerwall instead of using a static IP. If you have the option, you might find this more stable than using a static IP. Otherwise, you might find that it loses the default route again next time there's a software update.
I concur. Configuring your router to always issue the same IP to the Gateway's MAC address through DHCP is a far more stable way to get it to use a fixed IP address.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Thanks. I could have done that but if you lose your DHCP server then you lose everything. As this is technically a web server it should be on a static IP but if it happens again I'll do that. Clearly not the focus of their work, but given it works so well otherwise I cannot complain :)

i never get upgrades when it is under load discharging.

So, is it anything but just another fw serial number?

when i installed the pw2 last september i was still on summer pge rates.

At which point for the first time the company had revealed to me there would be no TOU, perhaps for another month or two.

Now i am seriously considering possibility that i will be hitting summer tariffs again and still have no official capability to discharge the battery per TOU.

I don't get how they qualify people (me including) for SGIP rebate based on promise to discharge the battery during peak hours without actually having such capability. (Me flipping main doesn't count -- this is not something they endorse officially, not to mention it drives me mad).

I don't get how they qualify people (me including) for SGIP rebate based on promise to discharge the battery during peak hours without actually having such capability. (Me flipping main doesn't count -- this is not something they endorse officially, not to mention it drives me mad).
I don’t think they require you to discharge during peak hours. The requirement is just to discharge the equivelent of 52 times during the year. Of course discharging during peak hours make the most sense, but it is not required.

Agreed. What i mean is right now there's no way to tell the battery to start discharging at all, on or off peak, on either schedule or by pressing a button in the application, barring suffering (perhaps artificial) complete loss of grid power. As in my case, without solar, that is.

Yet, SGIP told me i was qualified subject to discharge requirement. But this requirement cannot be fulfilled, there's no means to engage this mode.

Simulating grid loss by flipping the main feed is a hack, since obviously it is not anywhere written that Tesla officially proposes to do that either to satisfy SGIP or in general as a TOU stand-in.

So as it stands they presently have no recommended solution to satisfy SGIP condition.

On a side node, nor flipping main is any satisfactory substitute on quality grounds. As the grid is unavailable to support overload conditions (exceeding 10kw draw for a 2-battery install, which happened to me a couple of times -- PW would just drop all load if it happens). Plus all kind of browning. This is not how it is supposed to work with TOU mode.

Last edited:
I certainly hope and believe a future firmware update will make sure all applicants' usage to meet with SGIP's requirement. So that they only need to audit Tesla's software (and collected data) and not to directly audit the owners. Better yet, the app also sends an alert or proposes schedule for recycling battery or lowering the reserve level.

I certainly hope and believe a future firmware update will make sure all applicants' usage to meet with SGIP's requirement. So that they only need to audit Tesla's software (and collected data) and not to directly audit the owners. Better yet, the app also sends an alert or proposes schedule for recycling battery or lowering the reserve level.
My installer sent me a letter after installation notifying me that the Powerwall will automatically switch itself to 50% reserve, if I'm not on track to meet SGIP requirements. So it's definitely planned, if not already in the firmware.

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing
My installer sent me a letter after installation notifying me that the Powerwall will automatically switch itself to 50% reserve, if I'm not on track to meet SGIP requirements. So it's definitely planned, if not already in the firmware.

Thanks, your info is new to me. My installer Tesla didn't inform me such. Glad to know Tesla is indeed monitoring to get everybody covered.

Yep. It's just #1 SGIP deadline for processing the rebate is very close in my case ( i believe there may be hardly 30 days before i am supposed to get a check), so i am not sure how that all is supposed to reflect on that process, #2 sgip have already approved well before such firmware was (and still is not) available, which makes me wonder if they even conduct technical feasibility analysis of the solution w.r.t. requirements, and if they do, if there's some sort of understanding between sgip and Tesla that the solution is coming in time... If we are supposed to discharge e.g., 52 days during first year of installation, well, i am already past half a year since operational with no manufacturer-endorsed solution to do that...

Last edited:
Looks like we all know how will Time of Use Load Shifting (for non PV) will operate with PowerwallOS 2.0.

Time-Based Control | Tesla

They have explanation of the settings at the above link.

1518540816164.png

The bad news for those with PV, Tesla will NOT allow Powerwall to charge from grid if you have PV. I was hoping that if I got PV, I could net meter at EV-A peak credits, and then charge the Powerwall at the night from the grid at EV-A non-peak credits and use it when PV can't run the house, but it sounds like that will NOT be supported (see RED section below)

Can Powerwall charge from the grid?
When Powerwall is installed without solar, it can charge from the grid to support backup operation.

When Powerwall is installed with solar, it is not currently able to charge from the grid. Powerwall installations on new and existing solar systems are designed to qualify for the Federal Investment Tax Credit, which requires 100% charging from solar. Powerwall installations must also comply with rules around grid charging which vary by utility.

source = Functionality | Tesla