Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software versions for Powerwall 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should call or email them. I'm guessing while you got the firmware, they haven't activated it for your Powerwall since it's a controlled rollout..

When you go into the app, does it only show Backup-only under the Customize menu option?

BTW, what wifi are you using that gives you data consume by each wifi connected device?
I select self powered. 50% reserve because it's been raining and cloudy. I use google wifi mesh system.

Attachments

• IMG_1220.PNG
    IMG_1220.PNG
    143.4 KB · Views: 108
I don't think anyone has posted on here having TOU pushed to them. No idea if it requires both a PW firmware and app update.
Requires both. Firmware on the Powerwall (1.14 or higher), and the latest Tesla iOS app (3.3.2) and apparently you need it activated by Tesla Energy since it's controlled deployment.

Once you have all of that then you'll see an updated screen like this,

Attachments

• 1518540816164.png
    1518540816164.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 106
Requires both. Firmware on the Powerwall (1.14 or higher), and the latest Tesla iOS app (3.3.2) and apparently you need it activated by Tesla Energy since it's controlled deployment.

Once you have all of that then you'll see an updated screen like this,
I'm on the latest firmware for both. Does it require to call them? Or will they roll it out by themselves. Would like to hear somebody's experience if they have the functionality.

So here's the entire story.

v1.14 and v1.15 already have the Time of Use Load Shifting or "Time-Based Control" as Tesla calls it. While in the internal pilot, they found a few bugs so they are fixing it. There is a flag in the 1.14 and 1.15 that they can switch on or off for this feature, so right now it's turned off until they have fixed the bugs and completed their internal validation. They are thinking between 2 to 4 weeks to fix the bug, so when it's release they will turn on the flag.

This is only for Powerwall no PV users.

So here's the entire story.

v1.14 and v1.15 already have the Time of Use Load Shifting or "Time-Based Control" as Tesla calls it. While in the internal pilot, they found a few bugs so they are fixing it. There is a flag in the 1.14 and 1.15 that they can switch on or off for this feature, so right now it's turned off until they have fixed the bugs and completed their internal validation. They are thinking between 2 to 4 weeks to fix the bug, so when it's release they will turn on the flag.

This is only for Powerwall no PV users.
The bug is only for "Powerwall no PV users", or the delay is only for them?

Neither. The feature will only be available to Powerwall only users at first. Then once they have that all working like they want they will add support for people with Solar.
That’s a bit annoying. We were supposed to definitely have TOU support by March. Now it’s April but even then not for the vast majority of the users who have Solar.

I’m sorry, but it’s just not that hard. They even have the interface worked out (and posted on the web site) and the apps updated and released. The run time gateway side it relatively simple. They just need to charge or not based on the time and solar production. It should not take more than a day or two to code and a few days to test.

This is a basic advertised function of the device. It’s not like a extra feature they came up with later.

Reactions: NuShrike
That’s a bit annoying. We were supposed to definitely have TOU support by March. Now it’s April but even then not for the vast majority of the users who have Solar.

I’m sorry, but it’s just not that hard. They even have the interface worked out (and posted on the web site) and the apps updated and released. The run time gateway side it relatively simple. They just need to charge or not based on the time and solar production. It should not take more than a day or two to code and a few days to test.

This is a basic advertised function of the device. It’s not like a extra feature they came up with later.
I don't think they can add support for people who charge their PW with solar. Your battery won't qualify for the tax credit in the US anymore if it did. Software wise this definitely would be an easy thing to build.

As part of the PGE /Tesla application, they ask if you are applying for the ITC. Clearly they know who is applying or not. My calculations suggested that being able to charge from the grid was worth more than the ITC credit. So I opted not to. So they clearly have a record that I am not opting for it, so why not allow my software to charge from the grid. I'm sure it is one field in their database to manage this...

I don't think they can add support for people who charge their PW with solar. Your battery won't qualify for the tax credit in the US anymore if it did. Software wise this definitely would be an easy thing to build.
TOU for a solar + powerwall setup just controls when to charge the battery from solar and when to discharge the battery. There is a good description here: Time-Based Control | Tesla.

It does not affect the ITC tax credit as long as the battery is aways charged from the solar production.

As part of the PGE /Tesla application, they ask if you are applying for the ITC. Clearly they know who is applying or not. My calculations suggested that being able to charge from the grid was worth more than the ITC credit. So I opted not to. So they clearly have a record that I am not opting for it, so why not allow my software to charge from the grid. I'm sure it is one field in their database to manage this...

Unless you know it is none of their business that you apply for the ITC, which it isn't. My federal returns are NONE of the business of the SGIP program of State of CA, and I will take them to my grave before I let them see what I claim or do not claim.

Unless you know it is none of their business that you apply for the ITC, which it isn't. My federal returns are NONE of the business of the State of CA, and I will take them to my grave before I let CA see what I claim or do not claim.
You have to include you Federal tax return when you file your CA state return, so I'm pretty sure they know what you take as deductions...