Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only engineer who noticed the disappearance of the actual battery volts and amps during supercharging a few years ago? There's plenty of room on the screens to give us everything: volts, amps, kilowatts, accumulated kilowatt hours, accumulated fake, er, rated miles, rated miles per hour, etc. During all charging, not just supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: VValleyEV
Speaking of technical data during charging, one important piece of engineering information accumulated internally by every electric car with a high voltage battery pack (i.e., every electric and hybrid car) is a list of individual module voltages. It's critical that they're matched, because charging must stop when any one module voltage reaches its safe upper limit and the whole system must shut down when any one module reaches its lower safe limit.

in a healthy battery pack, these voltages will closely track. If they diverge, it probably means that one or more cells in a module has failed. Either it has failed open-circuit, or it has shorted and blown the fuse bond wire connecting it to the module bus. A failed cell effectively takes out one cell in every other module because the amp-hour capacity of the whole pack is limited to the capacity of the weakest module.

Naturally it would also be very nice to see the raw output of the charge integrator that monitors the amp-hour state of the entire pack. It resets to zero when you charge the car to 100% and goes negative as you discharge. This would tell you what the pack is really doing as it ages, especially as the pack reaches full depletion. (Admittedly, this is something I never do. I'm one of those guys who, on road trips, stops at more superchargers than he has to, and works hard to keep the state of charge above 20%.)

Anybody know if this data is already available through the diag port? It must be one of the first things the service techs check during routine service. C'mon Tesla, give us some useful easter eggs!

Last edited:
Reactions: VValleyEV
Naturally it would also be very nice to see the raw output of the charge integrator that monitors the amp-hour state of the entire pack. It resets to zero when you charge the car to 100% and goes negative as you discharge. This would tell you what the pack is really doing as it ages, especially as the pack reaches full depletion. (Admittedly, this is something I never do. I'm one of those guys who, on road trips, stops at more superchargers than he has to, and works hard to keep the state of charge above 20%.)

Anybody know if this data is already available through the diag port? It must be one of the first things the service techs check during routine service. C'mon Tesla, give us some useful easter eggs!

There is probably more information than you bargained for here. But if you read through the posts you will find how to get all the info you want from your car:
Model S: Battery & Charging

Excerpt from Model 3 user manual:
To adjust the Speed Limit Warning setting, touch Controls > Autopilot > Speed Limit Warning, then choose one of these options:

• Off - Speed limit warnings do not display and chimes are not sounded.
  • Display - Speed limit signs display on the touchscreen and the sign increases in size when you exceed the determined limit.
  • Chime - In addition to the visual display, a chime is sounded when you exceed the determined speed limit.

Is this what you're looking for? I personally prefer to engage cruise control whenever there is a speed limit that I could accidentally exceed as I don't have to actively manage speed. Safer and more relaxing than just the warning.

My biggest gripe is that all of the messages Tesla puts out are displayed on the lower left side of the display. If you're driving two-handed, then your right arm usually blocks this portion of the display either partially or fully, so you can't see the message! In addition, because the message is so low, you take your eyes off the road to view it! DANGEROUS DESIGN FAIL!!! DISPLAY MESSAGES AT THE TOP RIGHT OF THE SCREEN, where the current speed is. You can look down and see them, and still have peripheral vision for events on the road in front of you.

DANGEROUS DESIGN FAIL!!! DISPLAY MESSAGES AT THE TOP RIGHT OF THE SCREEN, where the current speed is.
On my model 3, the speed is on the top LEFT of the display, not the right.

BTW, no matter where the message is displayed, if you look at it, you attention is diverted from the road. Even if it was on a heads up display, it would still divert your attention from whatever is going on outside the car.

If there's something critical going on out there, you should be ignoring any messages on the display until things settle down and it is safe to divert your attention from the road for a few seconds. If that means you miss the message, so be it. If the message was important, it would still be there. If not, you can look it up in the notification history after you park and you can safely do so.

Now, let's stop the histrionics and the shouting. A dangerous design fail is when a wheel falls off, not where some information message is displayed.

Reactions: Dreadnought