Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sol Ark 12 inverter in off grid situation without batteries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to get an answer for a friend with an existing grid-tied solar array. He is asking if there is any inverter available that can direct power to the house without battery storage in grid-down situation (obviously only at times when there is solar production). It looks like the Sol Ark 12 has this capability.... can anyone confirm? thank you

I'm trying to get an answer for a friend with an existing grid-tied solar array. He is asking if there is any inverter available that can direct power to the house without battery storage in grid-down situation (obviously only at times when there is solar production). It looks like the Sol Ark 12 has this capability.... can anyone confirm? thank you

The Sol-Ark can operate without batteries when fed directly with Solar (DC coupled) but what you're describing is AC coupling the Sol-Ark to a grid-tie inverter. I don't think AC coupling is possible without batteries. With a ~$6k budget a better option might be a more affordable AC coupled inverter combined with a small battery. OR a way to run the DC lines to the Sol-Ark instead of the grid-tie when the grid is down.... or are you suggesting to replace the existing grid-tie inverter with a sol-ark?

The most affordable backup option would be a SMA inverter with Secure Power Supply. That would be ~$1500 vs ~$6k.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
  • Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
Enphase iQ8.