Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar - best buy-back rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

I finally have my solar system running, Oncor inspected etc (Powerwall coming 'soon'). I was under the assumption that my current plan with Green Mountain supports buy-back, as the EFL 'suggests' that it does. As it turns out, it only says that GM has a but-back plan but it's not the one I'm on!

Anyway, I'm happy to shop around, but powertochoose.org doesn't have the info on these plans, so does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

If I were to guess, I would assume:
Green Mountain will purchase and retire renewable energy certificates (RECs) representing the environmental attributes associated with renewable energy generation for 100% of your paid usage.​
means its lets-make-a-deal time. What is your offer price?
I wonder who else competes to take kilowatts off the hands of literally thousands of home-owners and how the bargaining goes?

The offer price from GM is the same as I pay per Kwh. It's not clear if that's at the 1000 or 2000 rate though. The system has only been live for a couple of months, but for the summertime at least, that would mean I'm up overall (negative spend).

You have to switch the their solar plan, Renewable Rewards, if you want net metering. For my service area, TNMP, it's a flat charge of $0.119/kWh
tnmp.png

I want to get solar for our house, but either our rate is too low or we're not using enough electricity. I currently get 100% wind from GM and pay $0.075/kWh + $8.65/month and use less than 20,000 kWh per year (2 EVs and 4k sqft house)

Austin Energy sets rates each December. Currently it is 10.6¢ kWh. Austin bills you for what you use and then buys what you produce. Since we have tiered rates, I'm averaging a little less in my cost so I 'make money' on the electricity I use.