TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Solar Charging Model S Battery Pack

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by jrickard, Sep 16, 2017.

1. jrickard

jrickard Member

I am working on a system to incorporate a battery pack from a Tesla Model S into a Solar system for the home. This uses the entire pack from salvage as is.

Yesterday, I discharged the pack down to about 1.4% state of charge using a 20kW inverter to the point where the internal BMS master board disconnected the internal contactors.

And subsequently I charged it to about 92% SOC using 40 Panasonic HIT panels in our test array. The controller software allows me to log voltage, amp hours and state of charge each minute so I made a graph showing the charge curve.

It's kind of interesting, so I thought I would share it here.

I was surprised that there really isn't anything left below about 320v on these packs. But at 226Ah used to 1.4% I think we are pretty close with the 230Ah estimate for pack capacity.

The jaggies are of course caused by passing clouds decreasing the power output of the array.

Attached Files:

• Love x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. miimura

miimura Active Member

What are the units on the X axis of the chart? Minutes? SOC%?? 91 minutes seems way too fast to charge a 85kWh pack from 40 solar panels.

3. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Appears to be state of charge.

4. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

What are you using to charge it? DC-DC or DC-AC-DC?

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

#5 SageBrush, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    How is this pack thermally controlled ?
    It pains me to see your graph labeled 85 kW