Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Charging Model S Battery Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am working on a system to incorporate a battery pack from a Tesla Model S into a Solar system for the home. This uses the entire pack from salvage as is.

Yesterday, I discharged the pack down to about 1.4% state of charge using a 20kW inverter to the point where the internal BMS master board disconnected the internal contactors.

And subsequently I charged it to about 92% SOC using 40 Panasonic HIT panels in our test array. The controller software allows me to log voltage, amp hours and state of charge each minute so I made a graph showing the charge curve.

It's kind of interesting, so I thought I would share it here.

I was surprised that there really isn't anything left below about 320v on these packs. But at 226Ah used to 1.4% I think we are pretty close with the 230Ah estimate for pack capacity.

The jaggies are of course caused by passing clouds decreasing the power output of the array.

Attachments

• fullpackonwall.JPG
    fullpackonwall.JPG
    442.2 KB · Views: 99
  • chargingchart.jpg
    chargingchart.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 91
I am working on a system to incorporate a battery pack from a Tesla Model S into a Solar system for the home. This uses the entire pack from salvage as is.

Yesterday, I discharged the pack down to about 1.4% state of charge using a 20kW inverter to the point where the internal BMS master board disconnected the internal contactors.

And subsequently I charged it to about 92% SOC using 40 Panasonic HIT panels in our test array. The controller software allows me to log voltage, amp hours and state of charge each minute so I made a graph showing the charge curve.

It's kind of interesting, so I thought I would share it here.

I was surprised that there really isn't anything left below about 320v on these packs. But at 226Ah used to 1.4% I think we are pretty close with the 230Ah estimate for pack capacity.

The jaggies are of course caused by passing clouds decreasing the power output of the array.

What are you using to charge it? DC-DC or DC-AC-DC?