TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Solar City 1 year recap

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by bomquito, Sep 1, 2018.

1. bomquito

bomquito Member

9.1 kW system installed in August last year with a promised minimum generation of 13000 kWh. I add all the monthly generation numbers from the solar city app and come up with ~14300 kWh. When I check the electricity bill, my one year consumption from 08-17 to 08-18 is ~8800 and net surplus generation is -700 kWh, which translates to a total of ~9500 kWh recorded . My question is: where did the ~3800 kWh difference go? Is there a loss in transit coming from the solar panels back to the grid?

2. NuShrike

NuShrike Member

#2 NuShrike, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Your utility doesn't measure the amount you self-consumed (behind the meter) during the day.

So, if you generated 50 kWh in a day and your utility saw 30 kWh generated, you self-consumed 20 kWh of what was generated that day. Then, add it up over the year.

Of course, your utility would see you consumed maybe 30 kWh that day but that's the non-solar consumption. So 50 generated, but 30 "consumed" = 30 + (50(TE gen) - 30(utility-gen)) = 50 total consumed that day.

• Like x 2