Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar City 1 year recap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
9.1 kW system installed in August last year with a promised minimum generation of 13000 kWh. I add all the monthly generation numbers from the solar city app and come up with ~14300 kWh. When I check the electricity bill, my one year consumption from 08-17 to 08-18 is ~8800 and net surplus generation is -700 kWh, which translates to a total of ~9500 kWh recorded . My question is: where did the ~3800 kWh difference go? Is there a loss in transit coming from the solar panels back to the grid?

Your utility doesn't measure the amount you self-consumed (behind the meter) during the day.

So, if you generated 50 kWh in a day and your utility saw 30 kWh generated, you self-consumed 20 kWh of what was generated that day. Then, add it up over the year.

Of course, your utility would see you consumed maybe 30 kWh that day but that's the non-solar consumption. So 50 generated, but 30 "consumed" = 30 + (50(TE gen) - 30(utility-gen)) = 50 total consumed that day.

Last edited: