Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Credit in Illinois - Docs needed?

Glaze72

Jan 17, 2020
Illinois
Hello All:

I hope you can help out a newbie. I live in Illinois, and had panels (no powerwall) installed last spring. I am going to be getting my taxes done in a couple of weeks, and I am eager to get the installation credit.

However, my tax preparer is telling me that the info I have is not enough to claim a credit. I have the Solar Purchase Disclosure form from Tesla, and also the loan agreement. But I am being told I need an actual invoice, which I do not have and Tesla seems unwilling to provide.

Can anyone tell me what documentation they used to claim a tax credit? I appreciate the help.

DHevey

Oct 18, 2019
Bluffton, SC
I don't believe I provided any of that to my accountant. I prepared a spreadsheet that documented my costs, and he used that to complete the state and federal forms. I will be doing the same this year after some modifications in 2019.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC