Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Design received - Roof too small for medium size 24 panels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received a layout proposal from Tesla. Seems like the panels are placed all over the place. I see two lower panels on the bottom right thats on a lower part of the roof and theres a house next to us that will block sunlight. I see most of my neighbors place their panels on the upper right side. What are your thoughts on fitting 24 panels? Would it be possible? How would you ask tesla to place these 12/24 panels for ideal placement?

Screenshot 2020-07-03 11.25.49.png
Screenshot 2020-07-03 11.22.47.png

Honestly, given your roof shape and all the angles and vents on your roof I’m not sure that much can be done. They might be able move those two panels in question up to the top where the other two panels are, but then they would be north facing, which can very much limit production. I guess the question is would north facing with no shading be better than east facing with shading from that other house.

Looks like its time for you to get a a quote from a different solar installer, who might be able to make a custom system for your roof to maximize production.

In my opinion, you dont "tell tesla where to place the panels" unless you have some expertise in that area. If you dont, thats why you are hiring someone to do it for you. You should ask " I want a layout with maximum production" if thats what you want, but your roof has several angles, and various vents etc. They are quoting you what fits their sizing pattern, matched with your roof.

Tell them you want maximum production, and if they tell you "this IS maximum production" then you know you need to go with another vendor if you are not happy with it.

Thanks for the layout @mstgkillr.

I called Tesla and they basically said that would be the most ideal layout and would still cover 92 percent of our usage. They said there has to be 3 feet from the edge of the roof for each panel clearance.

I will get a couple of local quotes and proposals on Monday to see what other companies can provide.

I called Tesla and they basically said that would be the most ideal layout and would still cover 92 percent of our usage. They said there has to be 3 feet from the edge of the roof for each panel clearance.

I will get a couple of local quotes and proposals on Monday to see what other companies can provide.

Unless it is a code requirement specific to your city or state, I believe they can get closer that 3 ft. from the edge... at least in Florida you can. My panels are next to the edge.

I would get a few more quotes from other installers, or get another advisor.

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 18.51.46.png

Unless it is a code requirement specific to your city or state, I believe they can get closer that 3 ft. from the edge... at least in Florida you can. My panels are next to the edge.

I would get a few more quotes from other installers, or get another advisor.

View attachment 560248

Pretty sure the 3 feet thing is a california requirement.

I had that 3ft requirement too but on some of the hips they gave me a pass as it's a hip with roof next to it.

There may or may not be an issue with the couple of panels just west of the ones circled in red as the valley is not drawn correctly.

Can some of the vents be moved perhaps for more room?

yep there is a minimum offset from the roof ridge and hips. Can you get any more panels on if Tesla was able to use the 315s which have a smaller footprint? Not sure they are installing those beyond existing orders but worth an ask. Apart from relocating bathroom vents or eliminating what I assume are skylights (sounds like expensive roofing projects), if Tesla can’t help further I think you would have to reach out to another installer with different products that might fit better.

Fancy roof structures can be an impediment to maximizing your solar. We have a lot of bathroom vents plus the laundry one and the regular waterline stacks so know this first hand; doesn’t help our roof isn’t a simple design either. Good luck let us know what happens.

Last edited:
Seems like a prime candidate for Tesla's Solar Roof tiles. Not as efficient as the full panels but in a build like this I would think it would give you a lot more flexibility on what areas of that roof can have photovoltaic which will more than make up for any loss in efficiency.

I just got a quote yesterday too for adding a 2nd PV system from Tesla. I requested a Medium and they downgraded me also to a Small (12 panels) stating I've run out of room on our roof. Argh. But I've asked them to reconsider their design by placing some panels in other areas that are facing west for higher production (I have some experience with this). Let's see how open they are to my input. I'm looking for a subscription, so they're rigid with 12 or 24 etc panels setup, unlike a purchase where they'll do a custom quantity.

Here in Cupertino, Tesla said I need 18" clearance from the gutter edge but YMMV. I'm looking to creatively cram as many 340 watt panels onto my already-crowded roof.

Good luck @xceler8tion What city or county of CA are you in btw?

I just got a quote yesterday too for adding a 2nd PV system from Tesla. I requested a Medium and they downgraded me also to a Small (12 panels) stating I've run out of room on our roof. Argh. But I've asked them to reconsider their design by placing some panels in other areas that are facing west for higher production (I have some experience with this). Let's see how open they are to my input. I'm looking for a subscription, so they're rigid with 12 or 24 etc panels setup, unlike a purchase where they'll do a custom quantity.

Here in Cupertino, Tesla said I need 18" clearance from the gutter edge but YMMV. I'm looking to creatively cram as many 340 watt panels onto my already-crowded roof.

Good luck @xceler8tion What city or county of CA are you in btw?

I’m in contra costa county.

Seems like a prime candidate for Tesla's Solar Roof tiles. Not as efficient as the full panels but in a build like this I would think it would give you a lot more flexibility on what areas of that roof can have photovoltaic which will more than make up for any loss in efficiency.

My roof is only home/roof is only 5 years old, so not time to replace the entire roof yet.

one thing to consider with having panels in multiple roof sections is that they have to be connected ... that makes for more exposed metallic conduit tube and more holes in our roof, especially if there is no attic access. if the crew is not conscientious in the install it could look like crap. i was adamant I only wanted panels on one roof section which had attic access and was fortunate that I was able to get 20 panels on a single south-facing section. I only have one 10' section of exposed conduit running down the side of the house which my crew actually painted to match my siding.

the other consideration for me putting the entire PV on single section was access for snow removal in an extended winter outage.....

Not really. The solarglass roof has the same issues with clearances. Some complex roofs have been rejected because of skylights, too many small sections, etc.

Not really. The solarglass roof has the same issues with clearances. Some complex roofs have been rejected because of skylights, too many small sections, etc.
Agreed, it will not qualify for Solarglass. I have the same type of roof with less sections actually. It was denied for too much complexity. Panels are easier to fit because they can be landscape or portrait and they are also more efficient so you don’t need as many.