Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Edge extended warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solar Edge inverter has 12 years warranty. It can be extended to 20-25 years with around $200.00 from Solar Edge.

From the purchase agreement, Tesla stated that
"System repairs" refers to actions needed to fix your System if it is malfunctioning. System repairs ARE provided by the installer.
If system repairs are included, the coverage periods for each hardware component of you system (in years) are:
solar panels: at least 12 years
inverter: at least 10 years.
Please check the manufacturer's warranty for coverage period of other hardware components.
If system repairs ARE included, the coverage periods for the labor/workmanship for each component of your system (in years) are: 20 years.

My understanding is Tesla will warranty the repairs for 20 years. But after the component warranty expired, Tesla will still responsible to repair the system. But owner will need to pay for the hardware cost. This is my understanding only, didn't check with Tesla.

Solar panel 25 years product and performance warranty. (Some of the document shows 12 years product warranty)
Solar Edge optimizer - 25 years
Solar Edge inverter - 12 years

For the 13th-20th year, if your inverter fail, Tesla SHOULD include labor to repair. But you will need to pay for the inverter.
I think it make sense to add extended warranty for the inverter to match up to 25 years for the rest of the component.

Advantage.
1. Solar Edge will responsible to get you a compatible inverter if your model is getting end-of-life. This is important because the inverter works with the optimizer.
2. Normally inverter is the first component failed.

Disadvantage
1. Solar Edge might close their door before the extended warranty expired, then your extended warranty cost go down to drain.
2. Cost around $200.00
3. It doesn't cover the communication module.
4. Some people said, the warranty is pro-rated, but I'm not sure.

Inverter Warranty Extension | SolarEdge US
https://www.solaredge.com/sites/default/files/warranty-extension-pricelist-na.pdf

This got me thinking. Tesla has provided me with very little to zero information on what they have actually installed for my setup, no operating guides, no maintenance schedules, no warranty documents. In comparison to buying a large appliance or vehicle that comes with copious amounts of information on how to use the product, how to care for it and what the warranty does and does not cover.

Any idea on how to pull together supporting documentation for a possible future warranty claim? I would rather not rely on vague website wording.

This got me thinking. Tesla has provided me with very little to zero information on what they have actually installed for my setup, no operating guides, no maintenance schedules, no warranty documents. In comparison to buying a large appliance or vehicle that comes with copious amounts of information on how to use the product, how to care for it and what the warranty does and does not cover.

Any idea on how to pull together supporting documentation for a possible future warranty claim? I would rather not rely on vague website wording.
It is an interesting issue. My contract (and I'm assuming it is typical, replacing "Solar Roof" with "Solar Panel") states:

Tesla will provide you with an initial copy of the Solar Roof Owner’s Manual and later with any updates to it (collectively, the “Owner’s Manual”). The Owner’s Manual provides you with Solar Roof operation and maintenance instructions, answers to frequently asked questions, troubleshooting tips and service information. You must maintain and operate the Solar Roof in accordance with the instructions in the Owner’s Manual.

I never did receive this, nor do I have any documents under my solar roof order that covers this. (Certainly, some of this is covered in various help areas on the website, but there is no specific "Owners Manual" that was provided to me.)

To your question, I think initial warranty claims would be handled through Tesla, so I'm not sure that a lot of additional documentation is necessary. And, as far as I am aware, there is little or no required maintenance beyond keeping the panels or roof clean and also removing any other hazards (like overhanging branches.) I'm certainly not aware of any maintenance required on any of the electronics.

As for the extended solar edge warranty, that would potentially be different if it is directly with them, but I assume the product is registered with the appropriate start date. (With my specific Delta inverter, I haven't seen any way to extend the warranty.)