TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Solar Edge Inverter Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Chancellor32, May 22, 2019.

1. Chancellor32

Chancellor32 Member

Have most of you guys bought an extended warranty for your solar edge inverter? Seems pretty cheap, $400 and you get like an extra 10 years.

2. Raechris

Raechris Member

Do tell - did SE or TE offer this? I asked both and can't get a confident answer to anything including this 10 to 25 yr warranty mentioned in the SE marketing materials

3. RFernatt

RFernatt Solar and EV Owner and Enthusiast

4. PHX3

PHX3 Member

Which model did you get? Tesla install? Would be nice if SE quoted their extended warranty by model number. Looking at their price sheet I would think the price would be half that.

5. RFernatt

TE doesn't serve my state, so system built by another installer. And just looking at the paperwork, it was actually $745 for a SE11400A-US.

Warranty invoice line item description reads:

"Warranty extension 25 years single phase, =>7.6K"

6. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

No, I didn't. I can fix these things myself if they fail ;)

7. Shygar

Shygar Member

I was told the 20 year warranty I got by default from Tesla included the inverter (although I have a Delta inverter).

8. PHX3

PHX3 Member

The wording in the contract is a little confusing. It was explained to me that labor is covered for 20 years. Parts are covered for as long as the manufacturer of that part warrants it. For SolarEdge inverter, the warranty is 12 years.

• Like x 1
  9. nwdiver

nwdiver Well-Known Member

10. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

Generally agree that prices are slowly coming down, but the unknown is what will inflation do to that price. So far, low inflation, yet one never knows. The cost in labor to replace it will certainly go up.

11. nwdiver

nwdiver Well-Known Member

#11 nwdiver, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Inflation and the cost of labor are a rounding error compared to the other forces guiding the cost of semi-conductors especially power electronics. The boom in solar, wind, storage and EVs is putting tremendous pressure on the industry to innovate. Consider that the drive inverter in a Tesla is >320kW peak, the size of a water mellon and costs ~$5k. The solar inverter I purchased ~6 years ago is 140#, 8kW and cost ~$3k. A comparable 8kW inverter today would weigh ~40# and cost $1500.

Here's the best play... put the $700 in an index fund then in 12 years you'll have $1500 to spend on a $600 inverter :)

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  12. RFernatt

Could be. Net price was 70% of the total with the tax credit. So, $520ish to not worry about the inverter for the same 25 years as the panels and can be touted for resale. I was okay with that.

13. TSV2000

TSV2000 Member

So the 30 percent tax can be applied to improvements/add-ons added after the initial install? I was told that Powerwall added after installation don't qualify for the 30 percent credit, so thought the same would be the case with a warranty not on the original contract.

14. RFernatt

I extended the warranty at the time of the install, but purchased it direct from SE and claimed the 30% credit as part of the "system." I'm looking at adding PW now and it's my understanding that as long as it's fully charged by solar, it can be claimed now.

Edit: Not a tax credit expert.

15. BlueOvalFan

BlueOvalFan Member

My tactic was a bit different. I negotiated a price with a local installer of my 7.92 kWp system that is comprised of 24 330W Panasonic panels, optimizers and 7600 SolarEdge HD inverter. When we finalized the price I told them an extended warranty was required if they wanted the job and so they threw it in. I paid $2.30 per watt for the system after credits. Could have done better but I wanted to get in before the end of the year as I knew I had a big tax bill coming. They also lumped in some additional work on the final invoice so I was able to tax another 30% credit on that effort too.

I think based on your desire to negotiate and shop around you can get the warranty throw in as part of the job. These guys are making on TONN of money on these installs. Make them earn your business.

16. RFernatt

For comparison, my 11.34kW install was a hair under $2.03/Watt including the SE warranty and a 14-50 wiring/outlet/breaker install after the tax credit. I went with 315W Pana panels instead of the 330W for the all black design, but they were about the same price. The racking was Iron Ridge and everything is hidden as far as conduit, etc. I have been happy with the quality and performance over the past 20 months and only having a $5 power bill for an all electric house and two EVs.

• Like x 2
  17. Shygar

Shygar Member

Also not a tax expert, but my understanding as well is if you already have solar or install it with solar, it qualifies. However if you install the powerwall first, even if you install solar after, it does not qualify for the ITC.