Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Exported Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PITA

Model 3 Performance
Sep 2, 2021
West Midlands, UK
Just for fun...

I know a lot of you have Solar Panels. Some big Arrays out there.

So how much power did you produce today? ... and how much slipped through the net and was exported to the Grid?

My figures are 38.7 kWh generated and 100% used... nothing exported except some Smart Meter incontinence :D

So... what you got?

Screenshot_20220514-211739_mySolarEdge.jpg

Good day here too albeit hazy this morning and shorts weather this afternoon.
2 cars & 2 Powerwalls charged and water heated
didn’t cook last night so PW’s pretty full this morning
45.81kWh generated. Tesla app under estimates!
A0D4FC7E-B4F7-4260-98EF-A860D49499A8.png

Reactions: PITA
Here in Oz the gov't is experimenting with charging a consumer so much per Kwh to export electricity into the grid.
You couldn't make it up.
Rather than spend money on making the grid take the juice they want to stop people putting it in - in the country that has probably the best climate for renewable energy.

Reactions: 15Peter20
I was expecting today to be sunny so ...

Today was a good day

Here it was a bad day!

I had moderate sun previous two days and got the cars fully charged ...

... so yesterday, with very good sun, I had nowhere to put my juice :(

92kWh solar, 35kWh into the house, 25kWh into the PowerWalls and 32kWh to grid :(

Maybe I should have driven round in a circle for 96 miles to create space ...

Car charging for the week: Sun 42kWh, Mon 26kWh, Thur 24kWh, Fri 11kWh

What on earth did you manage to use 95kW on??

O/P is in Maine - I expect they have Net Metering - so whatever you export you and import, and supplier "net" the two off, so over some period of time (a year maybe?) you only pay for what you import, over what you export

Building my credits to get me through the winter.

• Love
Reactions: PITA
Here in Oz the gov't is experimenting with charging a consumer so much per Kwh to export electricity into the grid.
You couldn't make it up.
Rather than spend money on making the grid take the juice they want to stop people putting it in - in the country that has probably the best climate for renewable energy.
What on Earth is the logic in that?

Is the Australian Grid quality that bad? Or has Domestic Solar become so popular that the volumes of export would be to much

Reactions: Wol747
Here it was a bad day!

... so yesterday, with very good sun, I had nowhere to put my juice :(

Maybe I should have driven round in a circle for 96 miles to create space ...

When we know it's going to be a sunny day, I'll drain the Powerwalls into the car overnight. So they have near maximum capacity for the Sunny Day ahead.

Then we plan a road trip to either visit family (which is a nice surprise for our Grandkids), or drive to a National Trust site) for a Walk and Lunch together.

While the Powerwalls are filling at home with sun juice. Then, get home and start charging the car again from the Powerwalls to give them more space for the following day.

The trick here for us, is always have a 'road trip' backup plan on 'pause' ready for the Sun 🌞

We both like driving, and visiting places, so it works well.

We've been managing this with no Grid Import and no Grid export for 11 days now. Not bad 😀

Screenshot_20220515-083543_Tesla.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Wol747
When I built our system, I offset the size of our Solar Array with our potential battery storage capacity.

Realising the Grid is not the Enemy, especially when you can buy electricity so cheaply on Smart Meters and overnight Ev cheap-rate Tariffs.

So during Summer, our 7.2kWp Solar Array is enough. But in Winter it isn't enough.

But in Winter the battery storage takes over and cheap Grid Power becomes the primary winner.

So it works well... providing there is always cheap Grid Power available during the Winter months... my investment in battery storage is a good thing.

Last edited:

Oz vested in burning coal ... well, their government is.

They also want to export all their natural resources "raw", for pennies-in-the-pound, rather than add-value and manufacture them into something. So they are selling Lithium rather than batteries.

Makes no sense to me either ... but longer term it looks like very bad news for Oz economy ...

When we know it's going to be a sunny day, I'll drain the Powerwalls into the car overnight ... visit family

Cars already full, sadly :( and my powerwalls barely enough to get me through the night. Family had already arranged to come to us Doh!

But, yes, I will add a new element to my planning that if I come home at e.g. lunchtime I can dump everything pronto into car for a couple of hours, and then replenish PowerWall before sundown.

And I will tell the family that they can only visit if it is raining!!

• Funny
Reactions: Wol747 and PITA
Some daft things we do at home to use excessive Sun Juice generation...

- Clothes washing & tumble drying
- Run the Washing Machine at 60 degrees cycle for towels.
- Run the Washing Machine at 90 degrees for a 'self clean' cycle
- Cooking or baking bread for chest freezers
- Heating hot water tank with MyEnergi Eddi (Solar Diverter)
- Charge Ev's (at 7kW)
- Run the Air Conditioning units
- Run the Dehumidifiers
- Jetwash Clean Stuff (Patio Stones, Plastic Keter sheds, Gazebo, Conservatory, Driveway, Paths)

Anybody got any useful tips?

Some daft things we do at home to use excessive Sun Juice generation...

- Clothes washing & tumble drying
- Run the Washing Machine at 60 degrees cycle for towels.
- Run the Washing Machine at 90 degrees for a 'self clean' cycle
- Cooking or baking bread for freezer
- Heating hot water tank with MyEnergi Eddi (Solar Diverter)
- Charge Ev's (at 7kW)
- Jetwash Clean Stuff (Patio Stones, Plastic Keter sheds, Gazebo, Conservatory, Driveway, Paths)

Anybody got any useful tips?
We have an oven with a pyroclastic clean cycle. That goes through some watts!

wife says it’s pyrolytic, but it ends up with ash in the bottom!

Reactions: scdoubleu and PITA
So it works well... providing there is always cheap Grid Power available during the Winter months…

I have a similar setup to yours (although haven’t taken the 3 phase plunge as the Tesla Gateway doesn’t play nicely with it).
I hope there will be cheap, night time electricity for a long time but I’m not entirely sure that will be the case for much longer, especially as more EVs on the grid smooth out the trough in the demand over the coming years.
I believe we may be the lucky ones experiencing the heyday of cheap electric motoring but doubt the same will be true within a decade…

Is the Australian Grid quality that bad? Or has Domestic Solar become so popular that the volumes of export would be to much
Logic? Please don’t make me laugh.
Some estimates say that Australia could supply the country plus a fair amount of South Asia with electricity with sufficient will.
My stepson had a hobby farm (that’s a common tax ruse) and built a house with the whole roof covered with panels, and a computer room in the garage monitoring 48 huge batteries: the whole monty. He was also connected to the grid.
The experts (!) spent four years trying to connect it to export to the grid without success, partly because of paperwork. He just switched off and took from the grid.
The plus point was that in six years despite multiple calls and emails he was unable to get the electricity supplier to accept that his house was connected: he used electricity for the whole time, received no bills and has recently sold.
Par for the course here.