Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Exported Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a similar setup to yours (although haven’t taken the 3 phase plunge as the Tesla Gateway doesn’t play nicely with it).
I hope there will be cheap, night time electricity for a long time but I’m not entirely sure that will be the case for much longer, especially as more EVs on the grid smooth out the trough in the demand over the coming years.
I believe we may be the lucky ones experiencing the heyday of cheap electric motoring but doubt the same will be true within a decade…

Our house, and Powerwalls, and Gateway are still on Single Phase.

Only our 3 Phase wall charger is on 3 Phase... so it all works well

How our setup works is like this...

- 3 Phase incoming supply
- 3 Phase Smart Meter (on Octopus Go)
- 3 Phase Distribution Board
- 3 Phase Distribution Board supplies 3 Phase Car Charger (defaults to L2 on 7kW)
- Single Phase to Tesla Gateway 2 on L1
- Gateway 2 then manages Single Phase Powerwalls, Solar Inverter, Single Phase Ev Charger & Consumer Board on Single Phase

It's setup this way because I only needed 3 Phase retro-fit for extra 11kW Ev Charger (and the 3 Phase upgrade cabling was free of cost)

How our setup works is like this...

- 3 Phase incoming supply
- 3 Phase Smart Meter (on Octopus Go)
- 3 Phase Distribution Board
- 3 Phase Distribution Board supplies 3 Phase Car Charger (defaults to L2 on 7kW)
- Single Phase to Tesla Gateway 2 on L1
- Gateway 2 then manages Single Phase Powerwalls, Solar Inverter, Single Phase Ev Charger & Consumer Board on Single Phase
Yes, I remember you sharing your setup before.
I won’t go Three Phase unless I supply all three phases with battery and a three-phase solar inverter.
I dislike the idea of unbalancing the local grid. Messes with my OCD. ;)
If I get to be old enough to retire (blood cancers are a joy!), I suspect my forever home will be in Portugal and it’ll be three-phase all the way :)

Reactions: kayak1
Good to see lots of people wasting energy for the sake of it when they should have been exporting it back to the grid to benefit everyone else or saving it for the likes of today…

It’s not like yesterday afternoon was a low carbon intensity period - hint, it was pretty high (below) so could have done with a bit of help from those of us able to contribute.

We contributed by exporting more than 50% of what we generated and even without batteries, took around 5kWh from the grid most of that at the lower carbon emissions part of the day.

1652610093703.png

Odd that you don’t see many of these self congratulatory type posts when the systems are not performing at peak.

Anyone want to update with todays figures, or have they wasted yesterdays excess and not carried forward the gains to offset today?

Good to see lots of people wasting energy for the sake of it when they should have been exporting it back to the grid to benefit everyone else or saving it for the likes of today…

It’s not like yesterday afternoon was a low carbon intensity period - hint, it was pretty high (below) so could have done with a bit of help from those of us able to contribute.

We contributed by exporting more than 50% of what we generated and even without batteries, took around 5kWh from the grid most of that at the lower carbon emissions part of the day.

View attachment 804540

Odd that you don’t see many of these self congratulatory type posts when the systems are not performing at peak.

Anyone want to update with todays figures, or have they wasted yesterdays excess and not carried forward the gains to offset today?
Someone woke up on the wrong side of bed today.
I didn’t do anything I wouldn’t have done anyway, and yes I suspect most of us are happy to feed the grid and reduce the carbon output overall.
Not sure I ever saw anyone saying they’d wasted power just for the sake of it.

And as you’ve so kindly and not-sarcastically-at-all asked, my Powerwalls are about 80% full by now. I’m not home so will probably be exporting most of the afternoon’s production. I hope this will help you sleep better tonight.

Au contraire. I'm happy to export excess to the grid, but only when I can't use/store any more. I paid for the system, so I get first dibs on the energy.
13.7 kWh generated so far today, Powerwall at 84%, minimal overnight grid usage. This should see us through the rest of the day, even with clouds/rain forecast for later.

Rather than feel guilty about not contributing green energy to the grid, I'm helping by not consuming high-carbon grid energy.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of bed today.
I didn’t do anything I wouldn’t have done anyway, and yes I suspect most of us are happy to feed the grid and reduce the carbon output overall.
Not sure I ever saw anyone saying they’d wasted power just for the sake of it.

And as you’ve so kindly and not-sarcastically-at-all asked, my Powerwalls are about 80% full by now. I’m not home so will probably be exporting most of the afternoon’s production. I hope this will help you sleep better tonight.

Car is at 56% and Powerwalls are at 62% ... So send some over here and stop being selfish :D

Two questions:

1. What size solar array do you have?
2. What on earth did you manage to use 95kW on?? Unless it's car charging of course!
24kW array. Solaredge 10kw inverted and an Outback radian 8048a with batteries backing up the critical load panel.

As for the usage of heat pumps, heat pump water heater, the oven, and charging two cars with a fair amount of driving.

Reactions: 94jdh
Here it was a bad day!

I had moderate sun previous two days and got the cars fully charged ...

... so yesterday, with very good sun, I had nowhere to put my juice :(

92kWh solar, 35kWh into the house, 25kWh into the PowerWalls and 32kWh to grid :(

Maybe I should have driven round in a circle for 96 miles to create space ...

Car charging for the week: Sun 42kWh, Mon 26kWh, Thur 24kWh, Fri 11kWh

O/P is in Maine - I expect they have Net Metering - so whatever you export you and import, and supplier "net" the two off, so over some period of time (a year maybe?) you only pay for what you import, over what you export
We have net metering, where I have a rolling year to use my credits.

I also have Optional Time of use for when I run out of credits.

The solar-generated energy is used first to offset peak time no matter what time of day the power is generated.

Good day here too albeit hazy this morning and shorts weather this afternoon.
2 cars & 2 Powerwalls charged and water heated
didn’t cook last night so PW’s pretty full this morning
45.81kWh generated. Tesla app under estimates!
View attachment 804301
View attachment 804301
You were very generous in your export Dilly.

FBA4EC03-111C-4C48-9864-8BC9597106C2.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Dilly
How very nice! Wish I had he luxury of 2 power walls. Since I had solar previously, I cannot install Powerwalls without (a minimum of) 8 extra panels. The local utility nixed the idea because they limit production to 150% of consumption and the 8 extra panels would push me to 192%. Looking for a loophole like 8 panels and 2 batteries completely off grid to be used as backup only.

Reactions: PITA
Best generation of the year so far yesterday. 45.8. should have been more but the Powerwall dumped to the grid at 4.00pm and stopped my generation for two hours otherwise should have exceeded %0! 47.9 consumed so had to pay for 2.1kWh.

Reactions: PITA
Today was a bad day. After generating 34.5 yesterday, I generated just 7.2 today and as we had thunder and lightning this evening I had to top up the Powerwall reserve in case of a power cut.

That's a shame. Today, I'm still on Self-Powered mode... and probably should have topped up the Powerwalls overnight on Low Cost Grid Power.

But instead I'm playing the House Range Anxiety game.

I've rolled the dice and it's now a race between the Sun waking up and filling the Powerwalls, or the Family waking up... and draining them into peak rate

... Exciting isn't it :D 😀😃

Screenshot_20220516-060410_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220516-060320_Tesla.jpg