Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar for flat-roofed home in NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla/Solar City doesn't offer solar options for flat roof homes in the northeast. They offered no advise as to which solar company could assist, and no information regarding the development of a Solar City option for modern flat-roofed homes. Just to be clear, lots of flat roofed homes and commercial buildings in the northeast have solar, so it can be done. I would love to know of a company who can install a system that will seamlessly integrate with the monitoring systems of our Powerwall/charger/car. Anyone have any experience with this, and can suggest a solution that they've been happy with? I'd love to keep all the components "in the Tesla family." But it doesn't seem as if this is a slice of the business they're choosing to be in.

I suggest contracting to a company separately for the solar for flat-roofed homes. Have Tesla install the battery(ies) afterwards. Tesla's gateway will monitor the solar of 3rd party solar systems.

Just be mindful of the needed space/placement for your Tesla components when they install the solar system.

The reasoning that was explained to me had to do with something about the weight of snow in the northeastern states. As in the link you provided, the panels would be mounted on brackets that would tilt and allow for runoff. Frankly, it just seems that Tesla/Solar City is a West Coast company, and perhaps this particular flat-roof setup in the northeast with conventional panels is too niche to be of interest to them.

Tool-less, no roof drilling, easy: DynoRaxx. This is what I used. There might be other options.
It took 3 people 16 hours to install racking and 64 panels. No real skill required. Total weight just under 8,000lb including ballast for 110 mph wind rating.

The reasoning that was explained to me had to do with something about the weight of snow in the northeastern states. As in the link you provided, the panels would be mounted on brackets that would tilt and allow for runoff. Frankly, it just seems that Tesla/Solar City is a West Coast company, and perhaps this particular flat-roof setup in the northeast with conventional panels is too niche to be of interest to them.
Well, it's not just the Northeast anymore. Include sunny, low-rain Phoenix (and everywhere else) now. After several months of back and forth with submitting electric usage info and two on-site assessments, I was just informed that they are declining to perform the installation. After an email expressing my frustration with the conclusion, they explained that it was implemented as a company-wide policy as of May 1 to no longer perform installations on flat-roofed houses "due to warranty issues. Roof Leaks are more common on flat roof types and it is not currently financially advantageous for Tesla to continue installing on these roof types."

I had 330W Panasonic panels from the Buffalo Gigafactory installed on my flat roof in Philadelphia by a local installer. No Powerwall, but all that can be added down the line. Had my roof recoated with an elastomeric product with embedded reinforced fabric so I don't have to touch it for 15-25 years.

I would say that's the big problem for Tesla(SolarCity), people with crappy flat roofs getting solar installs. They leak much more quickly than a sloped shingled roof and the snow cover might limit production which can impact any production guarantee. Not sure they even do that much anymore, but it was likely a concern in the past.

I paid a premium and would likely do the job myself if I had it to do over again, but happy to pass you my installer's info. They've been know to do NY installs.

Well, it's not just the Northeast anymore. Include sunny, low-rain Phoenix (and everywhere else) now. After several months of back and forth with submitting electric usage info and two on-site assessments, I was just informed that they are declining to perform the installation. After an email expressing my frustration with the conclusion, they explained that it was implemented as a company-wide policy as of May 1 to no longer perform installations on flat-roofed houses "due to warranty issues. Roof Leaks are more common on flat roof types and it is not currently financially advantageous for Tesla to continue installing on these roof types."

I just got my denial email yesterday for my flat roof. I already have 8K and wanted to add more panels + a Powerwall or 2. She stated the exact same thing about warranty issues.

I agree with GenSao. I’m having Powerwalls installed on Tuesday after having solar for 16 years on my flat roof.

One gotcha: it’s dang hard to reroof after putting solar on top. I had a brand new roof and added a big sled with 44 panels mounted at one single incline. I have had to beg my original roofer to come back and resurface.

I can get you in touch with a few installers. I have an 18KW PV system (with solar water heaters)on a 1:12 flat roof (EPDM) in Upstate NY. Just have to make sure your installer works with an engineer to stamp and approve the designs per code/load tolerances. The PV I have is a fully ballasted system with zero penetrations.
download.jpg

Reactions: Don TLR