Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Glass V3 + 2 PW ordered May 2, 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot write to it. I want to finish up the dates on my entry.

Sorry, @jboy210, I've been busy and this fell through the cracks. Upon checking the sheet, it appears it's write-able again.

An update to my Solar Glass saga:

To say this process has been a roller coaster is an understatement. I got a call from them yesterday (from out of the blue) and my interaction with them sums up this project from the start. LOL

Me going about my day when my phone rings:

Tesla rep Hi, I'm calling to schedule your Solar Glass Install
Me: :eek::)
Tesla rep: Let me transfer you to that department, hold please
Me: :(
Tesla Install Rep: (after a few minutes on hold) Hi, please be patient while I get some dates for you, any preference?
Me: Is yesterday available?
Tesla Install Rep: Unfortunately not, we haven't invented time travel yet. The soonest we have is 11/2/2020, is that good for you?
Me: :D YES!!!
Tesla Install Rep: Puts me on hold for a while
Me: :confused:
Tesla Install Rep: I'm trying to book that for you, but my system is not letting me. I'll have to call you back later today or tomorrow.
Me: :mad:

No call yet. :rolleyes:

Reactions: willow_hiller
Been awhile since I updated this project. It looks like my hopes of getting Solar Glass this year and taking advantage of the 26% tax incentive is not happening.

CDA8547E-6DB2-4840-BC5C-18FAA06DE5FB.png

In the midst of my solar glass installation in Gulfport Fl. Roof torn off, underlayment down, glass tiles scheduled for Nov 30. Fortunate to get before end of the year.

Great to hear. When did you order your system? It seems like CA and FL have been getting the most installs. I’ve read about one up in Massachusetts, but none in NY. Ironic since the solar glass are made in Buffalo, NY.

Anyway, good luck with your install.

Reactions: xhawk101
Great to hear. When did you order your system? It seems like CA and FL have been getting the most installs. I’ve read about one up in Massachusetts, but none in NY. Ironic since the solar glass are made in Buffalo, NY.

Anyway, good luck with your install.
Thank you. Ordered April 25th. Yes ironic indeed. I am surprised how much of the roof material is made in China however (plastic and metal brackets, trim etc).

Am told they have huge crew of about 25 per day to knock it out.

Been awhile since I updated this project. It looks like my hopes of getting Solar Glass this year and taking advantage of the 26% tax incentive is not happening.

View attachment 610566

thets great they are honoring a 4% credit to make up the loss in tax credit. Curious if they have the margins to do this with solar panels too. I have panels on order and looks pretty unlikely to get installed before 12/31.

Roof ready for solar glass tiles. Underlayment and tear off took 3 days. I am told they have a crew of almost 25 people with goal of completing in 1 to 2 days.

Nice! How big is your system and how many PW’s? Are they giving you the GW2? I created a Google Spreadsheet somewhere on this thread, if you don’t mind filling out your info.

I ordered on May 2 so just 7 days after you did.

Nice! How big is your system and how many PW’s? Are they giving you the GW2? I created a Google Spreadsheet somewhere on this thread, if you don’t mind filling out your info.

I ordered on May 2 so just 7 days after you did.

15KW system. Zero power walls. Have backup generator on the boat and hopefully / maybe will be able to do V2G in future. Maybe will add powerwalls one day after paying for this.

15KW system. Zero power walls. Have backup generator on the boat and hopefully / maybe will be able to do V2G in future. Maybe will add powerwalls one day after paying for this.

Installation almost done after about 3 weeks. Takes longer for more complex roofs.

Looks amazing though!

Attachments

• 20201219_143824_03.jpg
    20201219_143824_03.jpg
    653.4 KB · Views: 105
Dusting off this thread for a good news update (finally)

After almost 1 year, I was contacted by the install schedule team. An inspector is coming to my house on 2.24 to do a final walk through and install is scheduled for March 29th. I ordered this in May of 2020, so hopefully this goes through without a hitch. I'm in Orange County NY.

I'm also glad the 26% tax credit is extended. Still at the hurry up and wait stage, but at least there are actual target dates now.

upload_2021-1-29_16-41-0.png

Reactions: jboy210
thets great they are honoring a 4% credit to make up the loss in tax credit. Curious if they have the margins to do this with solar panels too. I have panels on order and looks pretty unlikely to get installed before 12/31.

Sorry I missed your post before. I'm sure you heard by now that the 26% tax credit is extended til 2024, so you're good. Do you have dates for your install yet?

Dusting off this thread for a good news update (finally)

After almost 1 year, I was contacted by the install schedule team. An inspector is coming to my house on 2.24 to do a final walk through and install is scheduled for March 29th. I ordered this in May of 2020, so hopefully this goes through without a hitch. I'm in Orange County NY.

Congrats on getting the install scheduled.

And wow, that is a quick install. Our was 4 weeks total, but 10 days were because of rain and Covid shutdown.

Dusting this thread off once again. My Powerwalls were finally installed on March 31st, along with the Gateway 2 and various other hardware. I now have an extra tab on my app that shows the Solar stuff, but it's only the grid - home. The solar and PWs are grayed out still.

IMG_0313.jpeg

IMG_0314.jpeg

IMG_8244.PNG

As far as the actual roof, the tear down is scheduled for next week April 12 and the Solar Glass install was pushed back to May 5.

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 10.00.46 PM.png

Should I be concerned that the there will be a full 2.5 weeks between the teardown and the actual roof install? My rep said they do wrap it with that liner that is waterproof, but we do get a lot of rain up here in the north east in April. What has been most people's experiences?

Should I be concerned that the there will be a full 2.5 weeks between the teardown and the actual roof install?
No - you don't need to be concerned. The underlayment they use now can last 6 months exposed to UV (see Cobalt Ultra – FT Synthetics ). And it is UV - not water - that is the concern with exposed underlayment. The solar roof tiles are not "sealed" and they sit slightly above the underlayment, so rain water runs underneath them. The underlayment is what is actually waterproofs your roof even after the tiles are installed.

Here is a picture of a tile that broke during my install. It shows how the tiles sit above the roof underlayment and you can see the holes at the bottom that allow water running under the tiles to drain into the gutter.

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 7.24.53 AM.png

Last edited:
Also meant to mention ... for my install there was 1 week between the teardown/underlayment and the solar install. The teardown process was subcontracted to another company who did not realize the size of my roof before they started, so they only had two guys to do the work. The undersized crew combined with a couple of bad weather days meant they needed the entire week to finish. At times, I was worried that they were going to delay the solar install. I think it is good that you have a buffer period between teardown and solar install, though I concede that it can be difficult to patiently wait for everything to get done.