Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Glass V3 + 2 PW ordered May 2, 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: As of yesterday, April 28, my roof is completely done - just 3 days shy of one year from my order date of May 2, 2020. Electrician was one of the last pieces to this puzzle, installing the 2 Tesla Inverters yesterday. Surprisingly, my inspection was done the very next day (this morning). So now I'm only officially waiting for the utility company to give me PTO.

It's raining and crappy all day today but I see that solar was producing as much as 5kW. Is that normal? I would've thought it will barely produce anything since it's raining and the sun hasn't been out the whole day.

When the sun clears up a bit I'll fly the drone and get some more pics. Also, my 6" gutters are getting installed this Saturday.
The roof can get power even on cloudy days we see 4-5 kW. Especially if it is a day where the clouds are broken and the sun peeks through occasionally. Some of my roof's highest output is on these days because of the cloud edge effect. But even if it is just gray and overcast there is always some solar out there.

Reactions: gigawatt1010
Hey guys, is there such a thing as a “hand-off” when you guys did your project? Meaning, do they walk through and make sure you’re satisfied before they get paid?

I’m afraid my project may have taken a turn for the worse. They still have a few loose ends to do, when they left last Wednesday, I was told by my PM that they will send in a crew by the end of the week to button things up. Loose siding, j-channels missing and trim around the windows missing. My PM who’s been very nice just told me this morning that he got laid off, along with a few other PMs in the region. What are my options at this point? To make things worse I found a cracked non-PV tile on my porch overhang.

Any advise much appreciated

Hey guys, is there such a thing as a “hand-off” when you guys did your project? Meaning, do they walk through and make sure you’re satisfied before they get paid?

I’m afraid my project may have taken a turn for the worse. They still have a few loose ends to do, when they left last Wednesday, I was told by my PM that they will send in a crew by the end of the week to button things up. Loose siding, j-channels missing and trim around the windows missing. My PM who’s been very nice just told me this morning that he got laid off, along with a few other PMs in the region. What are my options at this point? To make things worse I found a cracked non-PV tile on my porch overhang.

Any advise much appreciated
That really sucks, and continues to paint a troubling picture of what Tesla is doing with the roof product since their install teams seem to be the best part of the Tesla solar roof experience for most.

As to your question, I had no formal hand-off other than confirming with the lead on-site that everything was done (which I guess works when that person remains employed.) Then, Tesla just moved on to the next step (inspection was still required before the final payment.) We did have a QA person come by and inspect the install, but I don't believe that always happens or can be counted on. I'm stating the obvious here, but your only leverage will be to withhold payment, and the financial department might make an effort to get you in contact with the right (remaining) employees if you don't hear from somebody otherwise or find another way to get in touch with them. If inspection is up next, you might also be in touch with somebody local who can help.

Like @wjgjr , I had a QA person visit on the last day of the install. A day or two after the install completed, one of the PMs stopped by to make sure they had a complete list of final clean-up items (e.g. drywall repair around the breaker box in my basement, a broken step on my deck, and a hole in the siding caused by a ladder slip). The PM was up-front about their heavy install schedule, so I knew it would take a few weeks before they could fix things. Nothing was tied tied to payment, and I trusted that the work would be completed.

A small fix-it crew (none of whom were part of my install crews) came about 4 weeks later and took care of everything. All of my issues were cosmetic. I'm assuming any functional issues would have been addressed sooner. The delay actually helped me because my gutter installer broke a small non-PV glass tile the week after my install completed. I told my PM and he just had the fix-it crew replace the tile along with their other work. I was not charged for the tile.

Thanks guys! Just to update everyone on this saga, the district manager contacted me and he's bringing a crew next Friday, 5/14 to come by and button things up. We went over a punch list and he committed to taking care of all of them. Knowing how challenging contacting someone at the head office is, admittedly, I panicked when I found out my PM was laid off. Fortunately, he was courteous enough to give me a call to tell me the news and also gave me a name of someone from their local office. I emailed that guy and the ball started rolling.

@trautmane2 - I later found out that the cracked non-PV tile was caused by my gutter guy as well. He claims he got shocked by one of the PV tiles which caused him to drop his Dewalt Drill with a big battery. Completely shattered the tile, thank God it was only one. Tesla said they will replace it when they come by next week.

Reactions: trautmane2
Hey guys, I have an update and a bit of a dilemma.

I noticed last post on this thread was from May (4 months ago). They completed all the installation and I have been using the system sporadically. The only problem is, I don’t have a PTO yet. About a month ago, I saw a correspondence from my utility company (Orange & Rockland) to Tesla that they were rejecting my application since Tesla failed to show them the PWs on the schematic. Attempts for me to chase someone down at Tesla to resubmit hasn’t resulted in anything tangible yet. So, 4 months after the install, still no go.

Now my dilemma. I’m sure you guys are aware of the crazy housing market these days, we got an offer we can’t refuse for the house. Wife and I are seriously considering it, but would like to take my 3 PWs with me. Is this even possible? Also, how does the fact that I don’t have PTO yet play into this potential transaction?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

I noticed last post on this thread was from May (4 months ago). They completed all the installation and I have been using the system sporadically. The only problem is, I don’t have a PTO yet. About a month ago, I saw a correspondence from my utility company (Orange & Rockland) to Tesla that they were rejecting my application since Tesla failed to show them the PWs on the schematic. Attempts for me to chase someone down at Tesla to resubmit hasn’t resulted in anything tangible yet. So, 4 months after the install, still no go.

Now my dilemma. I’m sure you guys are aware of the crazy housing market these days, we got an offer we can’t refuse for the house. Wife and I are seriously considering it, but would like to take my 3 PWs with me. Is this even possible? Also, how does the fact that I don’t have PTO yet play into this potential transaction?

well, if there are no pw's on schematic, and no plans to get, I guess the only issue might be you need to remove the gateway(s), and resubmit plans. Did you get county approval? If so, how without PW's?

They can be relocated. But, if you are going to take them make sure the buyer is fully aware of that and you notify them in writing. I am not an attorney, but you don't want them pulling their offer because of issues of false advertising the features of the home. It is reasonable for the buyer to assume the PWs would convey with the rest of the house.

Is your house on the market, or was this unsolicited? In either case, you can take the PWs with you, but you will need to ensure that the contract is explicit on that point as typically (though it might vary in some jurisdictions) something permanently installed, like PWs, is presumed to convey with the property. If it was an unsolicited offer, at least the good news is that the prospective buyer might be more willing to work with you on this. And the bigger issue will likely be the the solar itself. There may need to be some specific language in the sales contract to cover who is responsible in various eventualities (including Tesla re-wiring to exclude the PWs, having to remove the solar completely if the application is permanently rejected, etc.) As you clearly know by now, there is a very good chance Tesla will not be able to resolve your issues/complete your project before a typical real estate transaction would close.

Since you’re just fishing for thoughts, my recommendation is to leave the Powerwalls, gateway, and whatever else intact and make it up to the next homeowner to figure out. I’m assuming this magical offer you’re getting can be negotiated to make you comfortable saying goodbye to some batteries.

Removing, storing, then trying to find someone to install them later just seems like a gigantic pain in the rear.

Do you already have your next residence all lined up and ready to accept these batteries?

Reactions: SVDNN and h2ofun
Good thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

The offer was unsolicited and let’s just say, it was more than enough to make us consider it, hence my dilemma. We have a few options for the next residence, but we have to time it properly so we can just slide in to the next one. And you can bet that I’d be looking at another solar roof install at the next one. I’m hoping by then they will come down in price.

After hearing your thoughts, you guys are correct, it may not be worth all the headaches and added stress to an already “exciting” situation.

Thanks for the feedback. I wonder what the process is for transferring ownership of my Solar to the new owner when I don’t even have PTO yet. This will be a crazy learning experience.

Last edited:

The offer was unsolicited and let’s just say, was it’s more than enough to make us consider it, hence my dilemma. We have a few options for the next residence, but we have to time it properly so we can just slide in to the next one. And you can bet that I’d be looking at another solar roof install at the next one. I’m hoping by then they will come down in price.

After hearing your thoughts, you guys are correct, it may not be worth all the headaches and added stress to an already “exciting” situation.

Thanks for the feedback. I wonder what the process is for transferring ownership of my Solar to the new owner when I don’t even have PTO yet. This will be a crazy learning experience.
I assume you own the solar

The offer was unsolicited and let’s just say, it was more than enough to make us consider it, hence my dilemma. We have a few options for the next residence, but we have to time it properly so we can just slide in to the next one. And you can bet that I’d be looking at another solar roof install at the next one. I’m hoping by then they will come down in price.

Since you paid already without a solar-loan or lease, I think it's pretty easy to just include your PV+ESS as one of the assets of your home sale. I'm not sure about SCE, but with PG&E there is no requirement that the party seeking PTO to be an installer. Homeowners grid-tie their own systems all the time and the interconnection portal should allow a homeowner to self-serve. The main kicker/hurdle is the homeowner would then need to pay their own interconnection fee (typically this is borne by the PV+ESS installer) and the homeowner may need to prove that the system is permitted and installed correctly. Like PG&E even sent someone from AESC to audit my system to review it's installation, and PG&E also requested data proving the system could charge/discharge. Complying with these steps is technically possible by the new homeowner.

If your system has issues with the permit that cannot be resolved without Tesla Energy, then things do indeed get really messy. With Tesla having a habit of never responding to customers, it does make things messy to try and figure out a solution.